It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Online Sync
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:29 am 

I didn't get the time to ask this (i think; ignore if i already did :whistle: ) but i was wondering if automatic syncing of Coollections between multiple machines would be possible.

---

There have been a few posts from users who use more than one computers (or in my case 4 portable versions in various locations) where it is suggested to put a .cool file in your network folder and run it via a desktop shortcut... Kinda technical and limited to a single LAN.

My suggestion is to do this exact same thing using Coollector's WAN servers as the storage location automatically each time Coollector starts (if sync is enabled).

Hopefully this would be helpful to users without being too tedious to develop since the protocol for allowing multiple instances of Coollector to read a single .cool file have already been established, and there is already a system in place for Coollector to store Coollections online.

In my case it would would be kinda cool because when I add some movies using my laptop on a particular night, then i plug my thingie into my girlfriend's laptop at her place the next night, it will show all my movies (including the new ones i'd added the previous night :w00t:).

...If i had a girlfriend that is :cry2:

Post subject: Re: Online Sync
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:26 pm 

I think you have a point (once again!).

:D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:30 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I think you have a point (once again!).

I'm talking about the syncing, not about the girlfriend.

On second thought... it works with both :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:08 am 

1 More Feature Request :sorry:

---

Browser Integration

eg. Press Coollector button in browser toolbar then add to Owned, Wished. The imdb is passed to coollector (if on imdb.com) or the movie title string eg."The Equalizer - Official Trailer - In Theaters 9/26" if on youtube, etc. then when coollector is passed this value it automatically scans the name to find the associated movie.

For the time I'm stuck using linux i bookmark youtube trailers i like in chrome. Eventualy i'll add these movies to my wish list. On windows i usually do this so i don't have to leave my browser; I add to coollector when I've got a dozen or so. Plus It'd be kinda nice to be able to interact with your coollection directly while browsing rotten tomatos, tv.com, google play, yahoo movies, amazon etc.

Bookmarking is as easy as pressing the little star, can owning and wishing be that easy someday?

---

This isn't a major feature but it makes for more seamless use and it'd probably be pretty fun to use if you ever decided (and found the time) to add it in.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:04 am 

You can copy the text from the web page, switch to Coollector, and paste the text, which will launch a string search.

Isn't it straightforward enough? Are you sure it's worth creating a browser extension for that?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:58 am 

Only if it is easy to do... Which i'm guessing it probably isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:35 am 

Not only it'd be hard to do, because I'd have to create and manage a plugin for each different browser, but also it'd be cumbersome for the user who'd have to install a plugin and lose some screen real estate to display the coollector button. All this just to be slightly more straightforward than the copying and pasting...