It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Default display image
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:37 pm 

I was wondering if it's possible for us to change the default display image shown for certain movies in the database.

Sometimes the default image is just a photo of the dvd set although a coverscan is already there, but is only accessible via the barcode option for our personal collection.

Also, when adding movies to our own collection, sometimes we can only select from the barcode covers available and not the default image which is sometimes the one we need.

Is it, or will it be possible to change this default image to another image that already exists for that movie in the database and vice versa?

Post subject: Re: Default display image
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 pm 

Skimadikal wrote:
Sometimes the default image is just a photo of the dvd set

You are welcome to contribute better pictures:

http://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55

Skimadikal wrote:
when adding movies to our own collection, sometimes we can only select from the barcode covers available and not the default image which is sometimes the one we need.

When you add a video from your hard drive, that video receives the barcode of one of the existing videos, in order for it to have a picture instead of no picture at all. If you're not satisfied with the picture, you can easily modify the barcode field to switch to another picture. The popdown of the barcode field even gives you the list of all the available barcodes for that movie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:09 pm 

Yes, I understand adding via the barcode menu, but sometimes the DVD covers listed with barcodes do not include the DVD cover that is displayed by default.

One such example is shown in the attached picture.

One DVD cover is displayed by default, yet is not selectable via barcode, which gives only the two options shown.

The other issue is the reveral of this.
The more appropriate default image ALREADY exists in the database but is only selectable via barcode. I was wondering if there was a way to change this, as there is no point to re-contribute a picture that already exists in the database.

Thanks

Attachments:
example.jpg
example.jpg [ 219.82 KiB | Viewed 4707 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:21 pm 

Skimadikal wrote:
One such example is shown in the attached picture.

You are confusing movie poster and video cover.

Skimadikal wrote:
I was wondering if there was a way to change this, as there is no point to re-contribute a picture that already exists in the database.

You can only contribute movie posters, as we currently don't accept contributions of video covers.

This should be a rather small inconvenience, as when you list your owned movies, it's the movie poster that's displayed. Only in the "owned videos" box will show the picture that you don't like.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 pm 

Ah ok. It's just that I notice many of the default images are DVD covers also accesible via barcode, so I assumed that all the defaults would be available that way.

I was under the impression that the default image had to be a DVD cover. Personally, I prefer the movie posters, so I guess I'll start sending in more images!

Just one question though, how exactly are the DVD covers selected for the movies? There are generally several releases with different covers. How do you decide which ones go in and which ones don't. Do they only go by what Amazon sells?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:41 pm 

Skimadikal wrote:
how exactly are the DVD covers selected for the movies?

It's completely automatic. Everytime we release a new database, adding more existing videos, I run a program that checks if a better video cover is now available, based on its size and weight.

And then some day a picture is contributed for that movie... From now on, the picture won't change, unless an even better picture is contributed.

Skimadikal wrote:
Personally, I prefer the movie posters

Of course !

Skimadikal wrote:
so I guess I'll start sending in more images!

:w00t:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:46 pm 

Greetings Hector

Further to the above, I suppose I am the reverese to the above writer.

I want to see in my Owned Videos list, the cover of the DVD that I own. I recently added a DVD for Red Dawn that had a cover like the one that you have linked to bar code 027616699824 but because I am in Australia and my bar code is 9321337082890 I got the move poster (default) picture. This happened even though I initially selected the barcode with the picture I wanted, but then when I changed the barcode to the one I have it lost the link to the 'correct' picture.

Basically I would like to be able to load my own covers, not rely on your 'incorrect' ones.

Philip
Gosnells, Western Australia :nono:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:07 pm 

cuddling101 wrote:
I want to see in my Owned Videos list, the cover of the DVD that I own.

The owned list doesn't list videos, it lists movies (of which you own one or several videos).

For example, it says that "you own videos of 155 movies and series".

To view the covers of the videos that you own, you have to look at the "owned videos" box.

cuddling101 wrote:
I want to see in my Owned Videos list, the cover of the DVD that I own. I recently added a DVD for Red Dawn that had a cover like the one that you have linked to bar code 027616699824 but because I am in Australia and my bar code is 9321337082890 I got the move poster (default) picture.

No, you didn't get the movie poster in the "owned videos" box.

Please understand that the movies are illustrated by a poster that is the same for everyone.

cuddling101 wrote:
then when I changed the barcode to the one I have it lost the link to the 'correct' picture.

If you set the barcode to a value that isn't in our database of existing videos, no cover will be displayed, until the day that this video is added to our database. We are working on improving our database of existing videos. To go faster, at some point in the future we will accept user contributions.