It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: My Coolector locking up.
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:48 pm 

I’m entering movies into “My Coolector” and lately after entering 3 or 4 movies it locks up and I have to exit “My Collector” and restart it. I was thinking maybe to uninstall and reinstall it but I’m concerned about losing all (1791) of my entrees that I have already done. Can I save the latest “My Coolection” to another file, or to a jump drive, other than in My Documents to save the file from being deleted after the uninstall?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:06 pm 

Yes, you can backup your coollection wherever you want. There's already an automatic backup system. And reinstalling won't delete your coollection. Thus, I don't think there's much to worry about, but it doesn't hurt being cautious.

And please keep me informed about this locking problem, that sounds very strange...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:31 pm 

Ok. I uninstalled and reinstalled. I did about 50 more entrees and it locked up twice. I’m beginning to think it’s my computer. When I first started to put in the entrees I was working slowly to acclimate myself to the procedures involved. As I gained experience with the process I’m speeding up the inputs and this is where I think my computer is at fault. I have a large amount of available hard drive (180 gb) and memory (1.5 gb) but I still think it’s the computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:04 pm 

Please describe how the program "locks". I don't exclude the possibility of a bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:51 pm 

This is very strange because I just entered over 30 movies and had no problem.
It normally happens when I pick the movie from the list of the available movie names. Sometimes it happens when I click on the “existing videos” to pick the dvd. Am I not giving the software or computer time enough to do it’s job and then when I click on the next procedure it locks up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:01 am 

Raised Grain wrote:
Am I not giving the software or computer time enough to do it’s job

Even if you're lightning fast, the program shouldn't freeze. I have made many changes recently, maybe I have introduced a bug. I'll try to reproduce the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:33 am 

I apologize for the long wait. The truth is that I haven't tested yet. I'm in the middle of a big interface overhaul, and I won't be able to test until I have made the interface usable again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:23 am 

I've tried for some time, but could not reproduce your bug. I have indeed found a weird bug, which is fixed by the 2.08 version. Maybe it's your bug, but I doubt it. Tell me if you still have problems with 2.08. I won't let you down !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:36 pm 

Since the reinstall of Coolector the problem happens very infrequently. I'm satisfied with the results. The only way you could let me down would be to abandon this excellant database. I'm curious as to how many hours you and your cohorts have devoted to this extensive database?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:10 pm 

Raised Grain wrote:
Since the reinstall of Coolector the problem happens very infrequently. I'm satisfied with the results.

It's not frequent, but it still happens ? Does it happen even if you just browse the database, or only when you make changes ? Rating ? Adding owned videos ?

Raised Grain wrote:
The only way you could let me down would be to abandon this excellent database. I'm curious as to how many hours you and your cohorts have devoted to this extensive database?

We are 2 persons working full time on Coollector. Me, doing the programming, and my cousin Stef, building the database.

We're not yet completely satisfied with the database, but the good news is that it will get much better in the coming weeks 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:35 pm 

It only happens when I add a movie to the owned videos. There is no provision in the status tool box for "have seen" so I'm entering the movies in the owned status. My wife is a movieholic, if there is such a word, and she buys "Leonard Maltins Movie Guide" every year to re-enter and enter the movies we have seen. She is computer illiterate and I finally talked her into using your database to enter these movies into it. There are a lot of movies that we were not able to enter because they were not available and yet "Leonard Maltins Movie Guide" is lacking some movies that you have in Coolector. His book is very extensive with 16,000 entries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:59 pm 

Raised Grain wrote:
There is no provision in the status tool box for "have seen" so I'm entering the movies in the owned status.

The philosophy of Coollector is "a movie you haven't rated is supposed to be a movie you haven't seen". Instead of marking the movie as owned, you should say if you liked it or not ;)

Raised Grain wrote:
There are a lot of movies that we were not able to enter because they were not available

Starting at the end of this month, you'll be able to tell us what movies you are missing, and we'll add them:

read the post I made on Afterdawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:30 pm 

Please describe precisely how you add a video. Do you use the keyboard ? Where do you click ? Please give as much details as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:40 pm 

The lock up will happen anytime during this process. By lock up I mean that I have no control and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get out of the lock up.

1.I use string search.
2.Type in name of movie till the word comes up in the list of words.
3.Click on the name.
4.Click the movie from the supplied list.
5.Click “existing videos”.
6.Click “add”.
7.Click “add”.
8.Click “close”.

Using the search this way I have saved over 2000 movies. Once in a while I do not find the movie I’m looking for and I have to type in the entire name of the movie. This is not a problem for me, just a few more key strokes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:08 am 

Thank you for the details, they will help me chase this bug !

Raised Grain wrote:
3.Click on the name.

Here is a tip: you don't have to use the mouse. Instead, input enough letters to have the right word highlighted. Now you just have to press either the SPACE key or the RETURN key (it works with both). That will select the word and move on to the next word ;)