It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: RE: Best Movie Catalog!!! - Few Requests
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:51 am 

I am new to the Coollector program. I have been searching for years for a way to catalog my 800+ movies, I tried many programs, used a few for a couple months but all of them were either very limited or too complicated to use.

I downloaded Coollector yesterday - it is BY FAR the best program of its kind. I expect to be using this program for years to come.

So as for my requests....
1) There should be a way to collapse/expand the "filters" in the left panel in the Movie Filtered Search. This will allow more movie covers to be displayed on a single page.
2) On the right panel in the Movie view- I would like the option to "hide" the "Owned Videos/Existing Videos". And this would allow more text to be visible in the Movie Summary, so I am not scrolling constantly every 4 lines in the summary.

I think both these requests could be accomplished simply by creating a Custom Skin.

As far as features of Coollector - this program has everything I was looking for to catalog my movies. And it is so simple to use and displayed in a very attractive display. I can browse the movies I own, or in my wish list - quickly read a plot summary, see the actors, and find a movie trailer - great when you are deciding on a movie to watch and you don't remember what a particular movie was about. Additionally, I have been browsing by year all the movies and have added 100 new movies to my wish list - so Coollector is a great program to look for new movies of interest.

I will be submitting the Coollector program to videohelp.com - a very popular forum for video software that does not include Coollector right now, but has similar programs that I have tested and abandoned in favor of Coollector. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: RE: Best Movie Catalog!!! - Few Requests
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:22 am 

chargedbird wrote:
I am new to the Coollector program.

Welcome !

chargedbird wrote:
I downloaded Coollector yesterday - it is BY FAR the best program of its kind. I expect to be using this program for years to come.
Wonderful. Thank you very much :excited:

chargedbird wrote:
1) There should be a way to collapse/expand the "filters" in the left panel in the Movie Filtered Search. This will allow more movie covers to be displayed on a single page.
2) On the right panel in the Movie view- I would like the option to "hide" the "Owned Videos/Existing Videos". And this would allow more text to be visible in the Movie Summary, so I am not scrolling constantly every 4 lines in the summary.

I think both these requests could be accomplished simply by creating a Custom Skin.

Collapsing/expanding the filters and the video boxes isn't something that I had thought about, but I will consider your suggestion.

Personally, I don't think this should be a skin option. Rather a program feature.

chargedbird wrote:
And this would allow more text to be visible in the Movie Summary, so I am not scrolling constantly every 4 lines in the summary.

There are 2 improvements that I'm planning to add:

1) the number of lines will become a skin setting. Currently it's 4, but you'll be able to set another value for your skin.

2) clicking the movie summary will make it appear in big window.

chargedbird wrote:
great when you are deciding on a movie to watch and you don't remember what a particular movie was about. Additionally, I have been browsing by year all the movies and have added 100 new movies to my wish list - so Coollector is a great program to look for new movies of interest.

That's exactly how I use Coollector myself ! Too bad many users don't realize it and think that Coollector is just to manage their videos.

chargedbird wrote:
I will be submitting the Coollector program to videohelp.com - a very popular forum for video software that does not include Coollector right now, but has similar programs that I have tested and abandoned in favor of Coollector.

Thank you very much for promoting Coollector. Coming from a satisfied user, it's the best publicity that we can dream of.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:57 pm 

Here would be another useful feature for a future version. And it should be an easy one to add.

Future releases - In Production. I always like to know whats coming out before its announced.
http://www.imdb.com/year/2013/
http://www.imdb.com/year/2014/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:51 pm 

chargedbird wrote:
Future releases - In Production.

The most popular movies we add several months before they're released. For example, the database already has some movies that will be released only in December (The Hobbit, etc...)

But there are many problems when we add movies too early: poster is not available or will change, cast might change too, as well as the title itself (many just have the title "Untitled 'director name' project").

That's why we do it, but we don't go too far in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:22 am 

Fair enough. Everyone has ideas and hundreds of suggestions. Don't change this program, its awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:02 am 

chargedbird wrote:
Everyone has ideas and hundreds of suggestions.

My todo list is incredibly loooooooong.

chargedbird wrote:
Don't change this program, its awesome.

Thank you very much ! Coollector will keep improving. There are great things coming 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:24 am 

chargedbird wrote:

Sounds Useful

(cool) Hector wrote:
Collapsing/expanding the filters and the video boxes isn't something that I had thought about, but I will consider your suggestion.

Personally, I don't think this should be a skin option. Rather a program feature.

I'm personally looking forward to that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:37 pm 

Hey I just did my first update of "scan my video files".

I am so impressed by this program. I thought it might scan all 800+ files all over again... but it only added the 40 new movies... with a separate category for movies previously added to Coollector.

Works perfectly!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:04 pm 

chargedbird wrote:
I am so impressed by this program.

Works perfectly!!!

:D