I don't know if it was just a problem with my installation or a more general one; anyway, I updated coollector (and hence the database) on one computer, but then when I tried to open the coollection file on another computer (it's stored on a network drive), instead of the usual 'you need to update the database' message, it just crashed, with the following error :
C:\wx\include\wx/dynarray.h(835): assert "uiIndex < m_nCount"
failed in wxBaseArrayInt::Item().
I suspect it was something to do with the check for an out-of-date database, as I was able to open an old copy of the coollection file with no problem, update the program, and now it works fine. I've attached the dump files that were produced when it crashed.