It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: unrecognized title delete movie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:36 am 

i cannot explain it very well because i can't recall the very exact case, but maybe you will be able to reproduce it too. (thanks God, i have my movies also on CD/DVD's and not loosing them :) )
recently i got a 3T HDD and i moving there all my movies and cataloging them with coollector and i experienced this situation:

if i have a movie which is not recognized from first try, it's get a wrong name (this part is going fast), i change his name for something different which are not recognized at all (and the green square around the patch, turning red (don't ask me how or why)) then collector will respond with a huge delay only giving a message in the back, not on front ( you can't see it because not pop up and the ALT+TAB don't work on it) you will choose to not add to collection that movie, Than you close coollector and found the message with a "recognized name" or the "sorry we can't find that movie". Now if you go to the movie folder or give scan again; there can only be found an empty file with the "last given name". but not movie file (avi, mpeg, mp4, mkv, .... whatever)

Post subject: Re: unrecognized title delete movie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:51 am 

Thank you for reporting that problem. It really sounds like a bug. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce.

Nevergreen wrote:
i change his name for something different which are not recognized at all (and the green square around the patch, turning red

Sorry, I don't understand what you describe. Can you make a screenshot?

Also, please give me the original name of the file, what new name you chose, what button you clicked, etc...

Nevergreen wrote:
Now if you go to the movie folder or give scan again; there can only be found an empty file with the "last given name". but not movie file (avi, mpeg, mp4, mkv, .... whatever)

Your movie file was deleted or it's still there?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:05 am 

i have over 3k movie and only cataloged around 1k, i'm very convinced that this situation will repeat and i'l, pay more attention to be able to describe it more accurate.

right now i cannot give the exact movie name involved, but i'll give a similar exemple:

lets say there are the movie: War of the worlds. on iMDB exist 3 movies with the very exact name, coollector will recognize only one of them; to re-analize the movie you need to change something. i choose to change the file name, giving there a year after the name...sometime works, sometimes don't. When not works there is a big chance to get my situation (i can't tell now if i clicked something else meantime or not).

and yes, will result that your movie will be deleted and yuo will have an empty file with the last give filename. 0 size file.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:16 am 

Nevergreen wrote:
and yes, will result that your movie will be deleted and you will have an empty file with the last give filename. 0 size file.

I take this issue very seriously. I'll do my best to fix it. I will inspect my code, but it'd be great if I had a way to reproduce.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:31 am 

Could you please create a test folder, where you'd copy some video files, and you'd try to reproduce the bug from that folder? That's what I've done on my computer, but probably I didn't do the right actions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 am 

yes, i could try; but only later in the evening.
and don't need any new folder, you just need to know the folder name which you are handle (i never give a whole folder scan exactly to avoid unpredictable situations, i only scan movie-by-movie, it's slower but safer)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:52 am 

Nevergreen wrote:
yes, i could try; but only later in the evening.

No problem, thank you for your help!

Nevergreen wrote:
i never give a whole folder scan exactly to avoid unpredictable situations, i only scan movie-by-movie, it's slower but safer)

I'm not sure I understand. Do all of your movies have their own folder? But you still use the menu "Tools->Scan my video files", don't you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:14 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Nevergreen wrote:
i never give a whole folder scan exactly to avoid unpredictable situations, i only scan movie-by-movie, it's slower but safer)

I'm not sure I understand. Do all of your movies have their own folder? But you still use the menu "Tools->Scan my video files", don't you?

I have a general folder named Movies than series/individual movies ...and every single movie has it's own folder name as the movie title ( i'm sure it's not necessary because coollector know it's path of every single file, but it's a habit of my).
and since "Tools->Scan my video files" is faster like i manually set every single movies with "I own this movie" and than give the path; Yes, i still use "Tools->Scan my video files" but only point it to a single file.

when i only tested coollector, and wasn't convinced that i like it, i gave a whole "movies" folder scan, but too many movies was wrongly recognized and i decided it's more better to individually add them instead to correct errors which are possible to escape me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:37 pm 

Nevergreen wrote:
and every single movie has it's own folder name as the movie title ( i'm sure it's not necessary because coollector know it's path of every single file, but it's a habit of my).

When you say "i'm sure it's not necessary because coollector know it's path of every single file", I think it shows that there's something you've understood wrong.

When you give a location to the scan feature, it'll locate the path of all the movie files from that location. But I don't understand what you mean by "coollector know it's path of every single file".

Then, for each file, Coollector will try to identify the corresponding movie by using the file name (not the folder name). Coollector will use the folder name only if it can't associate any movie with the file name. And if the file isn't recognized neither with the file name nor the file folder, then you have the choice to use either the button to rename the file or the button to rename the folder.

Please give me some examples of file paths that are not recognized.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:44 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
When you say "i'm sure it's not necessary because coollector know it's path of every single file", I think it shows that there's something you've understood wrong.

When you give a location to the scan feature, it'll locate the path of all the movie files from that location. But I don't understand what you mean by "coollector know it's path of every single file".

Then, for each file, Coollector will try to identify the corresponding movie by using the file name (not the folder name). Coollector will use the folder name only if it can't associate any movie with the file name. And if the file isn't recognized neither with the file name nor the file folder, then you have the choice to use either the button to rename the file or the button to rename the folder.

i don't store movies in bulk under movies folder like 1.avi, 2.avi, ... x.avi even if coollector can recognize all of them by title; but i store them in individual folders with movie title name.
Pixar arts are a good example for movies like above example; they are recognized individually but they are under same folder.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:10 pm 

Nevergreen wrote:
Pixar arts are a good example for movies like above example; they are recognized individually but they are under same folder.

Yes, but please read carefully my previous message. I said that the program will use in priority the file name. Are you sure you don't make any confusion with the folder name?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:19 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Nevergreen wrote:

Yes, but please read carefully my previous message. I said that the program will use in priority the file name. Are you sure you don't make any confusion with the folder name?

i never said that the program not recognizing a path, i said just it not recognize titles sometimes
Nevergreen wrote:
... i'm sure it's not necessary because coollector know it's path of every single file, ...
and from there goes my bug.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:54 pm 

Nevergreen wrote:
i never said that the program not recognizing a path, i said just it not recognize titles sometimes

We have a lot of difficulties to understand each other. We have to make some effort to be as clear as possible.

Please give me some examples of titles that are not recognized.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:00 pm 

Here's what I suspect is happening: the folder name is correct, but the file name is incorrect => Coollector associates an incorrect movie based on the incorrect file name, and you're surprised because the folder name is correct. Am I wrong?

Anyway, that doesn't explain why some files get deleted. But I need to understand what you're doing to reproduce the bug.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:19 pm 

Nevergreen wrote:
lets say there are the movie: War of the worlds. on iMDB exist 3 movies with the very exact name, coollector will recognize only one of them; to re-analize the movie you need to change something. i choose to change the file name, giving there a year after the name...sometime works, sometimes don't.

Normally, it should always work... unless you renamed the folder instead of the file ;)