It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Austria. Some requests/suggestions (Macbook Pro)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:35 pm 

I am writing to you after having recently purchased Coollector. Working in the IT (project coordinator) and the Movie Industry (local here, not Hollywood) I think that this software is probably the best idea I've come across for my private use. Very well done! The price was perfect for what you offer.

I will tell you what makes it great.....and then I will offer some suggestions that me and two of my friends have come up with in the last 2-3 days. (we're all using v.3.26.7 and we're all on Macbook Pro's using Snow Leopard and Mavericks. I'm using Mavericks). I have heard that v.3.26.8 is out but I can't seem to get it updated. I can't seem to get an update off of the Apple App store which is where I purchased Coollector. Is it released and or how do I get an update. The update window says I'm up to date, but I have .7 not 8.

We are using your database for organizing/creating a library of our movies. Between the 3 of us we have over 25,000 movies. Me having the smallest collection of 1,200. All of us are using external drives and working with our digitized files. No DVD's. We are all primarily concerned with our own collections and searching them in various ways.

1) IMDB is by far the best source for movie data. So plugging into their Dbase was perfect if that is what you've done. (I'm not a programmer, just a manager :V: )
2) The searching queries are for the most part quite well done ( We have a few suggestions) :D :whistle:
3) The fact that the "owned" movies are automatically saved without having to save. ( I think they are)

4)Overall, the general appearance is quite nice and easy to use. We like it.

So. Here are the suggestions we have come up with. (I will add that I have skimmed the forum but if I have missed a subject or a question already asked, I apologize in advance for being lazy and new. :yahoo: )

1) When we click on "owned" and then attempt to do a search either by actor or title, it seems to go to the entire Dbase when in fact we only want to search our owned movies not the entire IMDB or coollector database.
a. Come to think of it; I don't think a person can search strictly their own OWNED movies by actor?

2) Which also brings another point. We most of the time can't tell which dbase is being queried because they don't appear to be highlighted during searches. Can you keep a box around whichever dbase is being searched like "owned" or "IMDB movies"?

3) When I had the software auto detect files it detected over 2,000. Almost 500 of these were from a language tutoring file/application I had installed. No problem so far. I just clicked to install files. (I didn't understand how to use the first prompt window that is automatic after the automatic file detection process completes which shows the "finds or matched files" so I didn't use it properly.

I thought that I would be able to delete the files by selecting and deleting the DVD covers in the left panel. (You know, mass select, hit delete key type stuff) No can do. I had to click on each DVD cover , go to the right panel, and some DVD's showed up as "40 owned for one DVD" in the right panel. So I clicked "del" and had to click to confirm and click again to delete etc. It is like 3-4 key strokes to delete one file. Can you make this simpler for those of us that mis-use your initial offering to not install files in the first place? Some sort of graphic based select then user hits delete on the keyboard, and then gets 1-2 windows asking for confirmation for safety. If I could select DVD covers with my mouse, then simply hit delete, the next 2-3 hours I have to spend deleting could be a matter of seconds! Of course maybe I'm just being paid back for being stupid. I don't know. 8)

4) I could be wrong about this one but here it goes. Are the DVD covers of "owned" movies kept in my files or are they online and only stored in RAM? I haven't taken the time to test it out so I apologize.

5) In the owned pane on the left showing the DVD covers, I want to click on the blue/white play arrow but when I opt to choose the file path, it wants to use media player which I don't use for most of my files. I use VLC which is the most universal and plays all of my file types. Most of my friends also use VLC. Could you make VLC an option? Or add several options of media players? Perhaps in preferences you could make it a choice for the user so they don't have to choose each time?

6) Being on a Mac, Safari is of course the most logical choice for a browser to most. I'm not sure if it's Mavericks that has changed something but when I click on the IMDB logo/link of movies I want to learn more about the Safari browser either locks up or just shows a plain white page and locks all the buttons so we can't do anything but force close the window. Could you make the browser something the user can choose in preferences so a user only has to choose once but isn't forced to use Safari? All three of us use Opera or Firefox.

Either way, it's a great product so far and we look forward to hearing from you when you get time. I realize it's a lot of questions and comments and I do appreciate any feedback you could give. I've got to get back to work deleting about 300 more files. :-)

Post subject: Re: Hello from Austria.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:47 pm 

Movie Collector Pro wrote:
I am writing to you after having recently purchased Coollector.

Thank you very much for supporting our work!

Why is your name the name of a competitor program?

I think that this software is probably the best idea I've come across for my private use. Very well done! The price was perfect for what you offer.

Thank you! It's indeed much cheaper than Movie Collector Pro ;)

I have heard that v.3.26.8 is out but I can't seem to get it updated.

We still haven't gone through Apple's review process, but the program should have updated the movie database and you should have the same data as v.3.26.8 (with 110,131 movies in it).

In fact, we will skip version 3.26.8 on the Mac App Store. The version I have submitted is version 4.0, with our brand new feature: movie recommendations. Don't be afraid, it's a free upgrade for the owners of version 3 :yes:

We are using your database for organizing/creating a library of our movies. Between the 3 of us we have over 25,000 movies.

Impressive!!!

All of us are using external drives and working with our digitized files.

You'll love the new version! I've improved the scanning feature, and fixed several bugs.

IMDB is by far the best source for movie data.

I agree with you.

So plugging into their Dbase was perfect if that is what you've done. (I'm not a programmer, just a manager :V: )

No, we maintain our own database, but the program provides direct links to the IMDb because it's the reference.

The fact that the "owned" movies are automatically saved without having to save. ( I think they are)

Absolutely. As soon as you make any change (even rating a movie), it's saved on disk.

Cool :D

1) When we click on "owned" and then attempt to do a search either by actor or title, it seems to go to the entire Dbase when in fact we only want to search our owned movies not the entire IMDB or coollector database.

It's because there's no need to filter the results of a string search. Indeed, as soon as you input 2 or 3 words, the string search will normally return few results. And the movies you own are easy to spot because they're highlighted.

If I did what you suggest, it'd be very cumbersome, because you wouldn't be able to make a string search on the whole database without unselecting "owned" before.

a. Come to think of it; I don't think a person can search strictly their own OWNED movies by actor?

When you look at the filmography of an actor, your owned movies are highlighted. You can easily spot them, as well as spot those that you don't own or don't have seen ;)

But I plan to add an actor filter in the future. It'll allow for example to list all the western movies that Clint Eastwood played in.

We most of the time can't tell which dbase is being queried because they don't appear to be highlighted during searches. Can you keep a box around whichever dbase is being searched like "owned" or "IMDB movies"?

I don't understand your question. We query our database, which is stored on your computer, and you can even use offline. When you make a string search, the whole database is searched.

I had to click on each DVD cover , go to the right panel, and some DVD's showed up as "40 owned for one DVD" in the right panel. So I clicked "del" and had to click to confirm and click again to delete etc. It is like 3-4 key strokes to delete one file. Can you make this simpler for those of us that mis-use your initial offering to not install files in the first place?

A much faster way is to use the menu "Tools->Manage your video files->Batch delete several file associations".

Also, if you want to start your coollection from scratch, you simply locate your coollection file with the menu "Help->Locate my coollection file", you close the program, and you delete the coollection file. When you'll start the program again, it'll create a brand new file.

From the help page:

A frequently asked question is "how do I start over with an empty database?".
The answer is "delete the coollection file, and the program will create a brand new one".
Uninstalling isn't the answer because it doesn't delete coollection files (it's a safety).

Are the DVD covers of "owned" movies kept in my files or are they online and only stored in RAM?

After they're downloaded from our server and saved on your disk, they're not downloaded again. If you close your internet connection, you'll still see the pictures previously downloaded.

the blue/white play arrow but when I opt to choose the file path, it wants to use media player which I don't use for most of my files. I use VLC which is the most universal and plays all of my file types.

The file plays with the media player associated with the file type. If it doesn't play with VLC, it's because VLC isn't set as the default player for this file type on your system. You have to set it as your default player:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1154861/changedefaultapp.html

I'm not sure if it's Mavericks that has changed something but when I click on the IMDB logo/link of movies I want to learn more about the Safari browser either locks up or just shows a plain white page and locks all the buttons so we can't do anything but force close the window.

Thank you very much for reporting this bug. I will investigate. Maybe it's a Maverick problem, because Safari is supposed to open fine.

Either way, it's a great product so far

Maybe you could write a review on the Mac App Store? ;)

I've got to get back to work deleting about 300 more files. :-)

Delete your coollection file, or use the batch feature 8)

Post subject: Re: Hello from Austria. Some requests/suggestions (Macbook
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:21 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I don't understand your question. We query our database, which is stored on your computer, and you can even use offline. When you make a string search, the whole database is searched.

I think he might be mistakenly assuming that using the filter shortcuts, 'owned' etc will change the source that is searched.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:25 pm 

kakashi wrote:
I think he might be mistakenly assuming that using the filter shortcuts, 'owned' etc will change the source that is searched.

Thank you, Kakashi.

If that's the case, those shortcuts are just quick ways to set the filters to perform the most common searches.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:32 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I am writing to you after having recently purchased Coollector.

Thank you very much for supporting our work! Thanks for the good ideas and great work! We tried something called My Movies "Free" but it wanted us to register and was a pain in the butt. Luckily that caused us to try Coollector

Why is your name the name of a competitor program? It is? Well that makes me a fool I suppose. Sorry about that.

I think that this software is probably the best idea I've come across for my private use. Very well done! The price was perfect for what you offer.

Thank you! It's indeed much cheaper than Movie Collector Pro ;) Never heard of them but now I will go look :V:

I have heard that v.3.26.8 is out but I can't seem to get it updated.

We still haven't gone through Apple's review process, but the program should have updated the movie database and you should have the same data as v.3.26.8 (with 110,131 movies in it).

Sounds great. I'll keep checking back.

In fact, we will skip version 3.26.8 on the Mac App Store. The version I have submitted is version 4.0, with our brand new feature: movie recommendations. Don't be afraid, it's a free upgrade for the owners of version 3 :yes: Very good. Free is a great price.

We are using your database for organizing/creating a library of our movies. Between the 3 of us we have over 25,000 movies.

Impressive!!! Or sad is another way to look at it. 8)

All of us are using external drives and working with our digitized files.

You'll love the new version! I've improved the scanning feature, and fixed several bugs.

IMDB is by far the best source for movie data.

I agree with you.

So plugging into their Dbase was perfect if that is what you've done. (I'm not a programmer, just a manager :V: )

No, we maintain our own database, but the program provides direct links to the IMDb because it's the reference. Have you contacted IMDB about doing a direct link? Not sure what that entails but I assume since you're proven, it would add value to Coollector and IMDB.

The fact that the "owned" movies are automatically saved without having to save. ( I think they are)

Absolutely. As soon as you make any change (even rating a movie), it's saved on disk.

It's because there's no need to filter the results of a string search. Indeed, as soon as you input 2 or 3 words, the string search will normally return few results. And the movies you own are easy to spot because they're highlighted.

If I did what you suggest, it'd be very cumbersome, because you wouldn't be able to make a string search on the whole database without unselecting "owned" before. Can you tell the string to only look in one database or the other or both?

When you look at the filmography of an actor, your owned movies are highlighted. You can easily spot them, as well as spot those that you don't own or don't have seen ;)

But I plan to add an actor filter in the future. It'll allow for example to list all the western movies that Clint Eastwood played in.

I am going to attach a screen shot pertaining to the above. I clicked on "owned" then I went to the right side of the screen and clicked on "person name search" and typed in "will ferrell" and when I look on the left pane, there is no highlight of what movies I own that I can see (?) (refer to my screen capture). So I guess my official request is this: Can you keep the DVD covers in the left pane on whatever I select them to be. I rarely care about the entire database but have a greater need to just search my owned movies. I don't want the view mixed up. Example; My boss says, what movies do you have with Will Ferrell and I do the search, and find every movie he ever made with no highlights per my screen capture. Perhaps I'm not understanding correctly?

We most of the time can't tell which dbase is being queried because they don't appear to be highlighted during searches. Can you keep a box around whichever dbase is being searched like "owned" or "IMDB movies"?

I don't understand your question. We query our database, which is stored on your computer, and you can even use offline. When you make a string search, the whole database is searched. That's my point exactly, perhaps you could give us a choice. It would make the searches much more user friendly

What I'm saying is when I'm looking at DVD covers, it would be nice to have a simple box or highlight on the view I'm looking at. I click on owned and as soon as my mouse moves, the word "owned" is no longer highligted. I think you'll find this could make it very handy for quick reference. It would really be handy to have a quick at a glance view at the top of what collection I'm looking at. If I can get greedy, I would like the view to stay on "owned" at all times unless I choose it to switch. Why not give the user a window that says "would you like to search your collection or the entire Coollector DataBase?" Just think of how good that would be for the home collector, small movie business, etc. I just can't find the highlighted selections as you've explained (mavericks issue?) but if they are there I and I feel many others would love to have the view on the left stay one database or the other or combined at our choice. It would be a great way to search and would speed up the search maybe?

I had to click on each DVD cover , go to the right panel, and some DVD's showed up as "40 owned for one DVD" in the right panel. So I clicked "del" and had to click to confirm and click again to delete etc. It is like 3-4 key strokes to delete one file. Can you make this simpler for those of us that mis-use your initial offering to not install files in the first place?

A much faster way is to use the menu "Tools->Manage your video files->Batch delete several file associations".

I tried to do the above process but you will see with my second screen shot what happened. It found over a thousand files, so I'm going to hit delete and hope the remainder of the files are all my movies. I put in the following "instructional/italia/italian/" and it added the entire path to include the drive, folders etc.

Also, if you want to start your coollection from scratch, you simply locate your coollection file with the menu "Help->Locate my coollection file", you close the program, and you delete the coollection file. When you'll start the program again, it'll create a brand new file.

I will probably start the coollection from scratch if the batch delete deletes all of my files. :D

From the help page:

A frequently asked question is "how do I start over with an empty database?".
The answer is "delete the coollection file, and the program will create a brand new one".
Uninstalling isn't the answer because it doesn't delete coollection files (it's a safety).

Are the DVD covers of "owned" movies kept in my files or are they online and only stored in RAM?

After they're downloaded from our server and saved on your disk, they're not downloaded again. If you close your internet connection, you'll still see the pictures previously downloaded. Very cool! We all like that.

the blue/white play arrow but when I opt to choose the file path, it wants to use media player which I don't use for most of my files. I use VLC which is the most universal and plays all of my file types.

The file plays with the media player associated with the file type. If it doesn't play with VLC, it's because VLC isn't set as the default player for this file type on your system. You have to set it as your default player:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1154861/changedefaultapp.html

I'm not sure if it's Mavericks that has changed something but when I click on the IMDB logo/link of movies I want to learn more about the Safari browser either locks up or just shows a plain white page and locks all the buttons so we can't do anything but force close the window.

Thank you very much for reporting this bug. I will investigate. Maybe it's a Maverick problem, because Safari is supposed to open fine.

If you need any screen shots or me to replicate anything let me know. I am always on my machine and will reply unlike some of the other folks I've seen not answer your replies on the forum 8)

Either way, it's a great product so far

Maybe you could write a review on the Mac App Store? ;)

I will definitely write a review! You have my word. How much money you got? Just kidding!!! It's going to be a good review Hector.

I've got to get back to work deleting about 300 more files. :-)

Delete your coollection file, or use the batch feature 8)

I will probably re do it from scratch, but it's a good learning experience! All in all great software and thank you for your work. I hope you eventually sit financially well off from this endeavor. You deserve it. Not only is your software pretty nice and functional, but you've answered all of my questions at length. That tells me something about you. (It's good)

P.s. I may have found another bug. If you look at the screen capture where I tried to do a batch delete, you can see the box with the found files. I can only check or uncheck the strings that I can see in the window. I can't scroll the window with the mouse or hot keys or the arrows on my Mac using Mavericks. I can press the "cancel or continue" buttons and the + or - however.

Attachments:
File comment: Screen shot from adding the "string" which I assume is the path to the files minus the drive name etc.
Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 8.19.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 8.19.53 PM.png [ 512.05 KiB | Viewed 10336 times ]
File comment: Screen capture showing process of sorting using will ferrell in my owned movies. I see no highlight of the ones I own. Look in the upper right of the DVD covers. I own the "campaign" dvd, but not the "Bachelorette" dvd to the direct left.
Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 7.54.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 7.54.13 PM.png [ 670.1 KiB | Viewed 10336 times ]

Last edited by Movie Collector Pro on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:46 pm 

kakashi wrote:
(cool) Hector wrote:

I'm a bit confused for sure now :doh: When I do the searches my request is that I want to choose what I search. I mainly want to search only my owned movies. However, when I search, I can't tell which database is being searched so I'm assuming it switches to the coollector database and includes my owned movies. Hence Hectors comments about the movies being highlighted which I haven't seen as of yet.

Let me know if I'm not making sense, and I'll try to re-word it again :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:01 pm 

I edited my response to Hectors initial response just now. See the "P.s.".....I think I have found a bug with the batch delete window.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 pm 

I may have found another bug. If you look at the screen capture where I tried to do a batch delete, you can see the box with the found files. I can only check or uncheck the strings that I can see in the window. I can't scroll the window with the mouse or hot keys or the arrows on my Mac using Mavericks. I can press the "cancel or continue" buttons and the + or - however.

Oh god... Maybe a Maverick bug :(

Screen capture showing process of sorting using will ferrell in my owned movies. I see no highlight of the ones I own. Look in the upper right of the DVD covers. I own the "campaign" dvd, but not the "Bachelorette" dvd to the direct left.

"Owned" isn't displayed on the upper right of the DVD covers. You probably got that habit from another program. I can see that you own "The Campaign" and "Anchorman 2" (titles are RED), and you don't own "Bachelorette" (title is WHITE).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:10 pm 

However, when I search, I can't tell which database is being searched so I'm assuming it switches to the coollector database and includes my owned movies.

It always searches Coollector Movie Database... Never anyhing else...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:15 pm 

when I search, I can't tell which database is being searched so I'm assuming it switches to the coollector database and includes my owned movies.

You should consider Coollector as a database of 110,000 movies and series, that you personalize by telling which movies you own and which movies you've seen.

Hence Hectors comments about the movies being highlighted which I haven't seen as of yet.

Owned => title is red instead of white.
Seen => a smiley icon shows how much you liked it.
Wished => wished icon.
Etc...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:40 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I may have found another bug. If you look at the screen capture where I tried to do a batch delete, you can see the box with the found files. I can only check or uncheck the strings that I can see in the window. I can't scroll the window with the mouse or hot keys or the arrows on my Mac using Mavericks. I can press the "cancel or continue" buttons and the + or - however.

Oh god... Maybe a Maverick bug :(

Screen capture showing process of sorting using will ferrell in my owned movies. I see no highlight of the ones I own. Look in the upper right of the DVD covers. I own the "campaign" dvd, but not the "Bachelorette" dvd to the direct left.

"Owned" isn't displayed on the upper right of the DVD covers. You probably got that habit from another program. I can see that you own "The Campaign" and "Anchorman 2" (titles are RED), and you don't own "Bachelorette" (title is WHITE).

I'm a version of red green color blind where greens and reds look a different shade apparently. However I can tell them from white.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 pm 

I'm a version of red green color blind where greens and reds look a different shade apparently. However I can tell them from white.

If the colors are not good for your sight, you can choose a different skin, or just edit this one. Takes only a few clicks to define a new color for the highlighted titles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:06 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
when I search, I can't tell which database is being searched so I'm assuming it switches to the coollector database and includes my owned movies.

You should consider Coollector as a database of 110,000 movies and series, that you personalize by telling which movies you own and which movies you've seen. Could you also look at it from a way that is different as well? :hi: As your product is seen by more people you'll have a much more varied consumer for your product and the more flexible and customizable, the better. My company has learned this the hard way before they hired me. :P

Looking at it your way, is fine for a large portion of users, but I think you should make it more useful to users like me and my 2 friends that want the flexibility to search only our own movies. It would be absolutely perfect if we could toggle at our desire which database to search. I fear that you're thinking of only one small niche of consumer for your product which could limit you. Why not have a feature like this to make it more flexible/useful to more people? It doesn't have to change what you have other than giving the user the "option" and bit more control.
[color=#0000FF]
Think about how many people have their own massive collections on their hard drives! (I know for a fact that military folks have massive storages of digital movie files that would love to only search what they have when a buddy asks for a movie etc). If it could add to the flexibility and usability of your database why wouldn't you do it? The more people it appeals to equals more money $$$$

Perhaps you'll be driving around in a Lamborghini soon enough but this way you could be driving in a gold plated Lamborghini :D Trust me on this one guys, I've been in the business for a while and this would make your product much more user friendly, flexible, and thus marketable (aside from my personal benefit).

Hence Hectors comments about the movies being highlighted which I haven't seen as of yet.

Owned => title is red instead of white. This is hard for me to see believe it or not. I can see it, just not very well due to my red-green color blindness. I'm sure many users would opt for something much more straight forward like only owned movies being shown unless they opt for both databases to be searched 8)
Seen => a smiley icon shows how much you liked it. I understood this bit from the beginning but thanks. :doh:
Wished => wished icon. (This is actually a very nice feature and I have already started this list)
Etc...

Either way, I know I'm pushing a bit hard, and I hope you understand that I'm on your side, it's a great product, and I'm just trying to help you see how you could appeal to many more users. I have dealt with very similar projects in my time (great ideas that were not expanded on) that have failed or gently chugged along when they could have been charging full speed ahead due to the developer or powers that bee not seeing the big picture. I'm not saying this is the case but I wanted to add my two cents to help because I can see things from a different point of view. I get paid to do exactly that on a daily basis.

Thanks for allowing me to have this conversation with you. :V:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:13 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:

If the colors are not good for your sight, you can choose a different skin, or just edit this one. Takes only a few clicks to define a new color for the highlighted titles.

I could try that I suppose but I don't usually mess with skins. Too technical for me. I'm a manager and a visionary, not a technical guy (I left the programming classes for the smart guys in my university. I was too busy chasing girls). :excited: :doh: I've always heard about skins but considered it something not really important to learn how to do since I don't care if my desktop looks like a steel plate or a slate desktop....

Edit: Just re-read that it's only a few clicks, so maybe I'll try it, but I don't usually mess with skins. :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:22 pm 

kakashi wrote:
However, when I search, I can't tell which database is being searched so I'm assuming it switches to the coollector database and includes my owned movies.

It always searches Coollector Movie Database... Never anyhing else...

Thanks for the clarification. That helps me understand a bit better. :hi:

What if a user wants to search only the movies he/she owns? Resulting in only choices of movies they own therefore no need to scroll down, see which ones are red or white etc. Only the movies they have are searched (if they choose that option with a simple pop up, or a previous click) and only the ones they own are shown. Nice, easy, and clean for the end user. One more click the other way and they could search the entire database and then the results would show owned and not owned with the red and white words.. This would be great for the home movie buff that just wants your database more as a catalog with their stuff that is searchable with the option of searching the Coollector dbase. 8)