It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Program crashes whwnever I launch the prediction game
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:12 am 

Deb wrote:
(cool) Hector wrote:
Coollector needs an import feature, to import data from other programs or websites.

Didn't quite get this feature.. What will it import ?? Movie info ?

Sorry I wasn't clear. In fact, it's not a feature for you. It's for the users who want to migrate from a competing product.

Not useful for you, but hopefully useful for the program to get more users :V:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:20 am 

kakashi wrote:
Mind.Blowm. :w00t:

Those are just the immediate plans for the upcoming months. I have many other ideas that I'll only reveal when the time is right :yes:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:32 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:

Deb wrote:
(cool) Hector wrote:
streaming videos (available on NetFlix, Amazon prime, Hulu, etc...)

These services aren't available in the country where I live in ( I know it sucks ! :cry2: )
So tough luck for me I guess..

Don't be selfish. ;) There are millions of persons that are potentially interested by such a service.

Dont get me wrong.. I am not saying people wont be interested in this particular feature.. I am damn sure most users will love it coz it's going to be a fantastic feature..
What I am saying is the country where I live in sucks when it comes to these services.. they are not yet available here.. (sure they are gonna be in future)... So for now I wont be able to use this particular feature... :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:45 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
2) for several years, Coollector was a freeware and we had way more daily downloads. But because the program was far from being as good as it is today, the uninstall rate was also very high.

I remember starting to use coollector from 2008 or so... Back then the movies used to be listed in a vertical scrolling list I guess... But what appealed to me was that it came with its own database.. Even today I use Coollector to discover new movies... That's the thing about Coollector that I like the most...Its own movie and people database and the way they are interconnected..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:45 pm 

Deb wrote:
the country where I live in sucks when it comes to these services.. they are not yet available here.. (sure they are gonna be in future)...

Netflix is expanding very fast. No doubt they'll soon have conquered the entire world!

Deb wrote:
That's the thing about Coollector that I like the most...Its own movie and people database and the way they are interconnected..

:yes: you click a movie on the left panel, then you click a person on the right, then you click a movie on the left, etc... I call it "the ping pong interface", and it was one of the fundamental ideas when I've started the program 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:05 pm 

Exactly! Its so very intuitive.. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:08 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:

Conclusion: I'm sorry to say that we're far from having that many users :worried:

I guess all you need is more publicity perhaps ?? :worried:
Coz once someone starts using it, I am sure they are going to patronize it ..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:29 pm 

Deb wrote:

I've tried several marketing channels (adwords, bittorrent, appstorm), and none of them has given a positive return on investment :worried:

I'll give Adwords another chance, but it's extremely hard to craft a compaign that gives a positive ROI for a product that costs only $15.

When I've released the version 4, I've sent the news to nearly all the blogs, coupled with a one week -40% promotion, but none of them has judged that it was worth telling their readers. I had spent several weeks reading carefully the book "Pitch Perfect" to learn how to PR my app. All those efforts for nothing :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAUKfxK4tQM

P.S: I'm okay to have sex with someone (a girl) if it can help :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:55 pm 

Deb wrote:

Some users are amazing too... They write a negative review when they're unhappy, but they don't write any review when they're happy.

I've had a user contacting me because he had a problem, and threatening to write a negative review. I've solved his problem very quickly, he was impressed... and never wrote any review.

I've had another user giving a 3/5 review to the Lite version, saying that it's a great app, that he had bought the full version, but "The only reason it didn’t get more stars is because it’s the lite version". Of course, that user never reviewed the full version :roll:

When Coollector was released on the Mac App Store, there was several crashing bugs, and we've had a bunch of negative reviews because of that. Fair enough. Now that all the bugs have been fixed, what happens? You guessed it right: we don't get any more reviews...

Reviews are very important for the success of an app! Am I pissed off? Yes, I am :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:28 pm 

I do understand your sentiments.... It sucks when people dont appreciate your hard work... especially when your product is genuinely great.. Its a cruel world , ya you got that right..
But what I dont understand is if people like a product ( and I cant imagine why someone woudnt love coollector) why cant they give a good review?? I mean that's the least they could do right ? And also how could they not understand that if they review it favourably, more people are going to start using it and as a result it will give the developer more incentive to better the product ... What happened to good ol' common sense?

But let me tell you that things arent that gloomy too! I have been subscribing to a tech magazine called Digit for the past 7 years.. And it was through this magazine only that I got to know about Coollector.. They used to provide dvds containing various software etc and coollector was among their recommended ones...
Just so that you know this magazine happens to be one of the leading tech mags in the country having a readership that amounts to lacs.. :)

PS: You could try the sex part.. after all "sex sells" ! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:35 pm 

Deb wrote:
It sucks when people dont appreciate your hard work...

Exactly. I work my ass out, and except for the satisfaction of watching my baby getting better and better, I don't get much in return (less than $1 per worked hour).

Deb wrote:
Its a cruel world , ya you got that right..

It's a cruel world for everyone, not just me. No doubt that the other developers face the exact same difficulties. Probably they're better sellers than I am. I try to improve on that point, but the results are not there yet :roll:

Deb wrote:
But what I dont understand is if people like a product ( and I cant imagine why someone woudnt love coollector) why cant they give a good review?? I mean that's the least they could do right ?

Some users do it, and I'm very thankful. But it's a small minority. I think I'll be forced to add a "please rate" message. It's a bit annoying to have to do that, but I've read that some developers got great results with this method.

Deb wrote:
it was through this magazine only that I got to know about Coollector..
Yes, 5 years ago, when the program was still free. Unfortunately, since the program has becomed paid, we don't get reviewed anymore :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:20 pm 

Deb wrote:
especially when your product is genuinely great..

:D

We both love the program, but I can understand if someone doesn't like it. There's still room for a lot of improvement! Nonetheless, I think that the biggest problem is that very few people know that the program exists and actually try it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:24 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:

Deb wrote:
Its a cruel world , ya you got that right..

It's a cruel world for everyone, not just me. No doubt that the other developers face the exact same difficulties. Probably they're better sellers than I am. I try to improve on that point, but the results are not there yet :roll:

That's what I meant.. I didnt mean that the world's cruel to you only ! I was just referring to the song in the link in your previous post..

(cool) Hector wrote:
Nonetheless, I think that the biggest problem is that very few people know that the program exists and actually try it.

Exactly .. that's the main problem...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:27 am 

Would like to know what I can do help the program .. ( other than contributing pics n all)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:58 am 

Deb wrote:
Would like to know what I can do help the program .. ( other than contributing pics n all)

That's very nice of you, but you've already done more than your share: you wrote a review, you contributed pictures and plots :friends:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next