It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: CPU usage when idle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:28 pm 

I'm not sure what's triggering it, but from time to time, my PC really slows up, and on checking it turns out that Coollector is using basically a whole core to do...something :) - in theory just sitting in the background doing nothing...

I only really notice when some other process(es) are also using a lot of CPU, so overall it slows down to a crawl; it might be doing it at other times but I wouldn't notice.

Is it something you would expect (recalculating predictions, or something like that), or a mystery (and one I'm not sure how to track down :) ). Closing and reopening causes it to stop (I often leave Coollector running for days on end if that offers any insight)

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: CPU usage when idle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:17 pm 

Orclev wrote:
Is it something you would expect (recalculating predictions, or something like that)

Exactly, predictions are no doubt the explanation. If you've rated a lot of movies, there's a lot of data to crunch, and the recalculation can take up to several minutes.

When you rate a movie, the predictions are recalculated. If you close the program before the calculation has ended, the calculation will be resumed the next time you'll open the program. Each time you download a new version of the database, the predictions are calculated again...

How many movies have you rated? How long does the CPU stay busy?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:24 pm 

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#shortcuts

By pressing Control + P, you can disable the automatic update of the predictions.

This option can prove useful for the users with a lot of rated movies and/or a slow computer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:36 pm 

this is a slow computer, so that will be a big part of it. I've rated 547 movies, with 2772 predicted; I would say that this is happening when all I've done is add movies to "ordered", the program otherwise has been open for a long time with nothing much happening. I don't know how long it goes on for, I've closed the program as it slows the computer to treacle :). I'll see if I can reproduce it, or at least see how long it goes on for if it happens again.

(and I can always turn it off later :))

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 pm 

Orclev wrote:
I've rated 547 movies

That's not what I'd call "a lot". I've rated close to 2,000 movies, and the calculation takes less than 1 minute on my computer.

Orclev wrote:
all I've done is add movies to "ordered"

This is weird. I've just made the test, and adding movies to "ordered" doesn't have any effect, as expected. Can you make a test to confirm that observation?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:02 pm 

well, nothing seems to replicate the behaviour :) - so, I'll just have to keep an eye out and see if anything becomes apparent...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:07 pm 

Orclev wrote:
well, nothing seems to replicate the behaviour :)

Cool :V: