It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Updating images
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:25 pm 

The latest versions 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 have trouble in that department. Some image placeholders just spin and spin while others are not even looking to update. There was a thread about a bug that didn't have the latest filter work. So a new executable was offered to replace 4.3.3. That continues to work while 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 idles endlessly.

Initially, I thought it was the servers. By the time I was able to see the bug reproduced, it was near time for 4.3.5 to surface. When 4.3.5 came out with no bugs fixed, sure enough, the problem(s) remained.

After running the program, it seemed to take forever before it starts thinking about updating the images. When it does, it spins forever or doesn't look to update at all. The program doesn't crash.

Version 4.3.3, or specifically, the downloaded executable, works as it should.

Post subject: Re: Updating images
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:32 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
Version 4.3.3, or specifically, the downloaded executable, works as it should.

Do you mean that you still have version 4.3.3 and can compare it with version 4.3.5?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:05 pm 

When I downloaded the executable for the not owned filter as a replacement for 4.3.3, I renamed the original and left it in the Coollector folder. When I updated to the next version, 4.3.4, that executable was replaced.

After the problem was discovered, I re-downloaded the executable and used that to replace the 4.3.4 and the 4.3.5, to ensure I also get the not owned filter.

While I was on 4.3.4 and 4.3.5, I would alternate between that executable and the resident 4.3.3 executable. Everytime I ran the program using the 4.3.3 executable, the program ran smoothly. With 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 executables, the problematic symptoms showed up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:05 pm 

It's weird, I've checked my code changes, and none of them could have an effect on the download of the pictures. I have no idea why you have problems. On my side, I don't have any problem, and no problem was reported to me.

Maybe it's a problem with your firewall, which blocks one of the versions and not the other. You could make a copy of the 4.3.5 version and use it. Your firewall should ask the permission to access the internet, and everything should be fine after...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:12 pm 

It's freaky weird!

As you suggested, I made a copy of the 4.3.5 executable, renamed the appropriate files and the program did okay.

I renamed the files again and used the original 4.3.5 and the program idled.

I renamed the files again and used the replacement 4.3.3.

4.3.3 replacement was like a sprinter,
4.3.5 copy was like a marathoner,
4.3.5 original never left the starting block.

This is crazy stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:56 pm 

Normally, you only had to rename the exe file, and no other file.

I think that all the confusion comes from the fact that you're using the portable version.

When the portable version is run on an USB key, it runs very slowly compared to a real hard disk drive.

What makes the portable version portable? If there's a file "Portable.txt" next to the exe, then the program is run as portable, otherwise it's run normally.

I think that your 4.3.3 replacement was run normally because you forgot the "Portable.txt".

Be very careful because the portable version doesn't use the same coollection file!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:49 am 

Quote:
Normally, you only had to rename the exe file, and no other file.

That's exactly all I'm doing. When I rename, I affix the version number to the executable. And I remove the version number to make that the program executable.

Quote:
I think that all the confusion comes from the fact that you're using the portable version.

I'm not confused. The Coollector program is installed. The 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 executables were installed. They are the ones misbehaving. The 4.3.3 executable I downloaded from the 'not owned' thread is the one that works as you programmed it to work, spritely.

All these executables run from the same installed location. There is no portable.txt in that location. There are only uninstall.exe and history.txt. And there are three executables: 4.3.3, 4.3.5 installed, and 4.3.5 copy of installed.

It makes no sense that a copy of the original executable functions while the original does not, all from the same installed location. One would think it is an exact copy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:08 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
It makes no sense that a copy of the original executable functions while the original does not

That proves that there's no problem with the code, but your computer treats the two exes differently. Have you tried with your firewall turned off?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:41 pm 

Quote:
That proves that there's no problem with the code, but your computer treats the two exes differently. Have you tried with your firewall turned off?

You know more than I do about the firewall and how it works.

But, until you share that knowledge, I'm not turning my firewall off.

All I know is Norton's firewall and I allow the executable Coollector.exe to access the internet. If for some reason the firewall can distinguish the difference between two exact copies of 4.3.5 Coollector.exe, and decides to restrict one and not the other, please share why.

One would think that having been granted access to the internet through the firewall rules, Coollector.exe would not require the entire firewall be 'torn down' for it to function. And 4.3.3 does function with the firewall 'up'. Again, please share why.

I'm going to try something 'outside-the-box'. Since making a copy got it to 'work', I'll try making more copies until the firewall gives up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:45 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
All I know is Norton's firewall and I allow the executable Coollector.exe to access the internet. If for some reason the firewall can distinguish the difference between two exact copies of 4.3.5 Coollector.exe, and decides to restrict one and not the other, please share why.

When a new exe file is run, the firewall asks you if it should be allowed access to the internet or not. The firewall doesn't recognize if an exe is the exact copy of another exe that was authorized. Maybe you didn't give the right answer when asked, or maybe the firewall has messed up, or maybe it's another explanation. All I know is that the problem doesn't come from Coollector itself, but from your computer settings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:52 pm 

I don't know Norton Firewall. Do you have access to the list of authorized/unauthorized exes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:54 pm 

Quote:
I don't know Norton Firewall. Do you have access to the list of authorized/unauthorized exes.

Norton Firewall is set to block only suspicious activities. It doesn't pester me with every (new) program request to access the internet.

Once Coollector was installed some time ago and ran that first time, Norton created a firewall rule to grant access to Coollector.exe, without informing me. I have access to the firewall rules to modify them as I please.

In any event, consider this case closed on my end. My thinking 'outside-the-box' strategy appears to have worked. Your suggestion to make a copy opened the 'box'. I then made a copy of the copy of the original. That new executable seemed a little bit peppier than the copy. Of course, the original continues to do nothing when put to use. But, the program works, with the copy of a copy. That's all that matters.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:05 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
Once Coollector was installed some time ago and ran that first time, Norton created a firewall rule to grant access to Coollector.exe, without informing me.

On my computer, each time Coollector is upgraded to a new version, I have to grant it access again.

gigagiggles wrote:
But, the program works, with the copy of a copy. That's all that matters.

Great, I'm glad that you've found a solution :D