It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't update...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:01 pm 

I don't seem to be able to update to the latest version; it downloads ok, and coollector closes when you hit the 'install' button; but then it spawns 3 copies of the 'coollector update' process, 1 straight away and two almost immediately afterwards, and doesn't proceed from there. It's not even possible to kill the processes from Task Manager or Process Explore, have to reboot to get rid of them.

It's possible that the coollection file itself is corrupted, it seems to work ok but it has ballooned from about 7mb to 10mb with the addition of 20 or so new files, I don't know if that could cause this? It's also on a networked drive (but I've tried updating with a local copy and that doesn't work either).

I also saw the same behaviour recently when I tried to install a portable copy onto a USB key, three copies of the process spawned (can't remember if it was an '...updater' or '...installer' process), and hung there; again the processes couldn't be killed.

Or could this be down to the problem some people have had with the latest update, and it might sort itself out with the newest version?

Thanks,

Edited to add - same behaviour on different PC's (although all running Windows 7), so I don't think it's a PC issue.

Post subject: Re: Can't update...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:46 pm 

I just made the test, updating from version 4.6.5 to 4.6.6 on a Windows 7 PC, and everything went fine.

What version are you updating from?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:48 pm 

Orclev wrote:
Or could this be down to the problem some people have had with the latest update, and it might sort itself out with the newest version?

The other bug was just a typo that caused and infinite loop when trying to split a long file location string into 2 lines.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:50 pm 

from 4.6.4 it looks like. Shall I send you a copy of the coollection file? (I don't know if that has any input on the update process or not).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:53 pm 

Just tried updating on one of the machines with a fresh (no entries) coollection file, and same problem happens (spawns 3 unkillable copies of the 'updater' process, but goes no further), so it's probably not the file

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:09 pm 

Orclev wrote:
it's probably not the file

I've never thought that it could be the file. I don't think the file can interfere with the update process.

I will make the test updating from version 4.6.4.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:29 pm 

Sorry, updating from version 4.6.4 went fine too.

When was the last time you made your tests? I ask because version 4.6.6 was released only 12 hours ago.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:57 pm 

Whilst we've been discussing it :-), I'm just going to have another try now...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:09 pm 

I wonder if it's something to do with a recent windows update; both the other PC's where it's (still) failing in the same way, had been updated (windows update) in the last week or two; trying it on the third PC, which hadn't been updated, and it has worked...

are there files that I can manually copy from the PC where it's succesfully updated to the other two?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:24 pm 

I had an Amazon store set when I've made the test. I've removed the Amazon store and made the test again and... it worked again.

Orclev wrote:
are there files that I can manually copy from the PC where it's succesfully updated to the other two?

If the update from the program doesn't work, the easiest alternative is to download the full install setup and to install it (don't uninstall anything, just install).

http://37.59.40.189/Coollector_Setup.exe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:59 pm 

OK - so, initially that didn't work either (I had a feeling it might not, as that's basically the same file that failed when I tried to install the portable version last week); same thing happens, it spawns 3 versions and then hangs.

But - as it was a new file, it did throw up firewall checks (as part of the built-in HIPS); and if I didn't allow the .exe to start another copy of itself, the installation started.

So - I deleted all the rules relating to the Updater.exe, and tried to do the normal update process. I allowed cmd.exe to start CoollectorUpdater.exe, but blocked the attempts by CoollecterUpdater.exe to start another copy of itself (which it tried to do a couple of times) - and it worked.

I don't know if that sheds any light into what's going on (as long as the program is stopped from launching new copies of itself, it works), but at least I have a workaround...

(as a further bit of info, which may or may not be relevant - when it was failing, I could kill the cmd.exe process, and then the first update process in the tree, but the two further processes in the tree, each depending from the one before, couldn't be killed)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:52 pm 

and the third machine now updated as well, slightly different again - removed all the rules, but this time it seemed to be cmd,exe itself that was spawning the additional processes; as the update process ran, first of all coollector ran cmd.exe (as expected); then cmd,exe started up the updater process (one copy of updater appeared in task manager before this, the HIPS software seems to block execution after it's appeared in the task manager); then two more copies appeared, and again cmd asked to start the updater, so I blocked this one, the two copies dissapeared, and the process carried on.

Then UAC prompt appeared (with the earlier failed installations it never got as far as UAC), after accepting that the same thing happened, it asked to start updater.exe (with one copy showing), and this one has to be allowed (I blocked this first time around and it stopped the update from proceeding, because it couldn't access the files it needed); then two more copies popped up, and the same message again cmd wanting to start updater, so I blocked that one; and then finally it worked...

so all my installations are up to date; just needed a lot of hoops...hopefully it will be ok for the next one...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:09 pm 

:cry2:

So near and yet so far. Although the database.eng is showing as updated (modified 9/12, apparently), none of the installations (including the one which 'just worked') appear to have any of the added movies after about 14/11 - decline of western civilization part III is there; the innocence project (and any later ones) aren't...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:21 pm 

ok - and that in turn appears to be because what has updated is the version in the coollector program files directory, rather than the one in users/public/documents/coollector/databases. I did notice whilst it was updating (even on the one where it appeared to work) that the updater was referring to 'Portable' coollector, don't know why but that seems to have been what has caused this final issue...(and fixed by copying the file to the correct location)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:32 pm 

Heck! What a story!

Are you ok now?

Orclev wrote:

Only 2 files must be updated: the exe file and the movie database.