It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Not backing up my coolection on the server
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:25 am 

I have backed up my movies to the server and the page opens up but then when i go to view the backups just saved it says nothing is backed up on the server.

Also when I open up the program from the My Coollector icon it shows I only have 11 films and i have over 500!

The only way round this is to open the program using the last back up file in the My Docs folder?

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Not backing up my coolection on the server
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:11 am 

I've had a look at the server, and I can see that you've used coollection files from 3 different locations: the default location, your desktop, and the backups folder.

I know because when you use a coollection that is not in the default location, that location is added to the file name on the server.

ian1464 wrote:
The only way round this is to open the program using the last back up file in the My Docs folder?

Well, if your computer is fine and you have all your automatic backups, it's probably the easier solution.

Otherwise, I can send you all what I have on the server.

You let me know...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:18 am 

If I look at the file dates, I can see that the latest coollections files were from your backup folder. I don't recommend to do that. It's not intended to work like that.

Either use the default location and launch Coollector.exe, or place the collection in a convenient place (like your desktop) and launch it by double clicking it.

Here it's explained how to replace your default coollection with a backup:

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#backups

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:01 pm 

Thanks hector. When I open the program it says I only have 11 films whilst the backup stays up to date when I add them so I'll rename the Coollector.exe film with the backup and leave that on my desktop as suggested.
Can you not add the backups to the main program to add the movies to it? Also why does the backup that shows my films correctly tell me that I have no films backed up to the server. I can see them in the browser but the program doesn't recognize this.

By the way where is the XML file stored to import films with?

Sorry for so many questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:06 pm 

ian1464 wrote:
When I open the program it says I only have 11 films

When you open the program, it opens the default Coollection.

Here, your current default coollection has only 11 films. You have to replace it by your backup, as explained in the link I've given you:

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#backups

ian1464 wrote:
whilst the backup stays up to date when I add them

Because you're currently using the backup file as your main file, but it's not a good practice.

ian1464 wrote:
I'll rename the Coollector.exe film with the backup and leave that on my desktop as suggested.

"Coollector.exe film" :?

Having your coollection file on the desktop is another option, but to avoid any confusion, I think you should rather replace your default coollection with the backup. This way, you'll launch Coollector and forget about the file location.

ian1464 wrote:
Can you not add the backups to the main program to add the movies to it?

That sentence doesn't make sense. You don't add backups to the main program. Either you launch Coollector.exe and it'll read the coollection from the default location, either you double click a coollection file from any location and it'll be read by Coollector.exe.

ian1464 wrote:
Also why does the backup that shows my films correctly tell me that I have no films backed up to the server.

Probably because the backups folder is the last place where you should keep the coollection that you're using.

ian1464 wrote:
By the way where is the XML file stored to import films with?

There's no XML file unless you create one with the button "Export this list". And if you create one, you decide where it'll be stored.