It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows Path Length Issue
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:03 pm 

Good Evening,

I seem to have a problem file where the full path and filename total 275 length, this works fine when collector adds but then reports missing on missing files check.

Not critical for me as i will rename the folder as its messy on my side.

I didn't actually think you could have a folder path over 260 but presume as this is an external disk it's allowed, running Win7 SP1 64Bit

Full path is I:\#MOVIES\1973\Scenes from a Marriage - Scener ur ett äktenskap (1973) [720p] Swedish - Eng Subs\Scenes from a Marriage.E2 - Scener ur ett äktenskap (1973) [720p] Swedish - Eng Subs\Scenes from a Marriage (1973) [BRDSK 720p] E2 - The Art of Sweeping Things Under the Rug.mkv

Post subject: Re: Windows Path Length Issue
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 pm 

It's clearly a limitation of Windows (that I had heard about but forgotten long ago).

I wanted to test your example on my Windows 10 computer, but I wasn't able to enter the full name of the file, it was truncated to a fixed size. If I removed 10 characters from the parent folder name, then I could add 10 more characters to the file name.

With a quick search I've found this article:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx#maxpath

"the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters"

beldeamon wrote:
I seem to have a problem file where the full path and filename total 275 length, this works fine when collector adds but then reports missing on missing files check.

My understanding is that Coollector makes a system call to check if the file exists, and that call fails because it can't handle a path longer than 260 characters.

beldeamon wrote:
Not critical for me as i will rename the folder as its messy on my side.

Very messy indeed!

Post subject: Re: Windows Path Length Issue
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:11 am 

Yeh definitely a strange one and quick enough to resolve - Strange how windows seems to handle it though, which i thought it wouldn't. I did read that utils like Robocopy ignore the MAX_PATH but the 260 value is pretty fundamental to windows and a change to the value could potentially break lots of things.

And yep .... me and my naming conventions ;-) having folder and video names the same is dangerous on series especially with other languages and subtitles.

:clap: Thanks for answering this anyways :)