It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Issue with manually entered 'not recognised' files
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:20 am 

Hi again,

No more scanning/freezing issues since your wonderful bug fixes. Thank you!

I think now perhaps in addressing the issue with 'not recognised' entries in earlier software versions upon updated program version, that files we have formerly clicked manually as 'not recognised' -due to either not in the database as yet or some incorrectly naming conflicts - don't appear in the 'scan your files' listing (but, yes, they DO appear in the notepad list provided after updating).

Previously, you could continue to click 'not recognised' - this was a useful feature as associations would be found as updates/expanded database are rolled out. Not a big issue at all, but I now have to check off the notepad list, change the file name ever so slightly to ensure the scanning picks it up as a new file of mine, and then it associates.

I do hope that explanation makes sense to you! Again, i'm just delighted it works and this is a small thing in the scheme of a wonderful tool.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Issue with manually entered 'not recognised' files
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:52 am 

Actually, I realise now DOH that I just need to do one more step than I previously had to and click on the not recognised menu at the top of the scan results, which is same as notepad, so one can get around this. I just need to change my previous old 'habit'!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:01 am 

The notepad list is the list of the files that couldn't be associated, i.e. you couldn't find a way to rename the files to have them correctly associated, i.e. they're probably movies missing from our database and you'll have to request their addition.

The scanning algorithm has slightly changed recently. The difference happens when your file name includes the year of the movie. If there's no movie matching that year, previously the program associated the file with the most popular result, but now it marks the movie as "not recognized" instead. So you might get a little more "not recognized" files. Either your year was wrong or it prevented the program from associating the file to a wrong movie. I think this change is an improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:40 am 

ski63 wrote:
I just need to do one more step than I previously had to and click on the not recognised menu at the top of the scan results, which is same as notepad

Yes, you have to check the "not recognized" tab to see if you can rename the file to make the association work.

The notepad text is just a final report that comes handy after the scanning is finished. Now you can browse the database to find out what went wrong, if the movie is really missing or if there was a problem with the title or the year.

If the movie is in the database, it's possible to associate it manually by clicking the "play" icon. In some very rare occasions (2 movies with the same title and the same year and the one you own is the least popular), the manual association is the only thing that will work.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:20 pm 

Thanks again for your reply (and advice). Yes, I noticed it was an issue with a year being off in my naming in some instances. Also, aka titles and foreign titles (eg. Orbiter 9 and Orbita 9). In previous versions I'm fairly sure (or I am losing the plot!) that the same file would crop up again in the scan for me to 'accept' or mark as 'not recognised', regardless of whether I had marked it as 'not recognised' in an earlier scanning.

Not an issue at all, I just need to crosscheck the not recognised menu selection before I 'close' or 'close without adding anything'.

If some users had the same sloppy habit, inadvertently they won't get their opportunity to associate (or correct as the case may be) many of their files!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:34 pm 

ski63 wrote:
regardless of whether I had marked it as 'not recognised' in an earlier scanning.

The new scanning doesn't remember what you did during the previous scanning.

Imagine you mark a file as "not recognized" because the movie is missing from our database... You request the movie to be added, and when it is added you scan again... It would be bad if the file was still marked as "not recognized".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:20 pm 

To be honest, I believe there's been a significant improvement brought through in the recent software update. I swear before that file names would continue to pop up in the main menu scan results - because file names continued to be associated with another title which wasn't close - it may be that the added year actually hones in on the association, and more clearly calls it as a 'not recognised'.

I don't think I am mad after using this for years and years - it's a change, and a change for the better. Others may have always using the not recognised menu. I used to change the file name in the main scan results menu, because the name continued to 'aim' to be associated with another title, which made me change it then or there.

Hope someone else may back me up on this perceived change, or I will think I've lost it :worried:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:32 pm 

ski63 wrote:
I don't think I am mad after using this for years and years - it's a change, and a change for the better.

I've added several other improvements during the last months. I'm glad that it paid off :D