It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Find associations with missing files runs but does not work
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:52 pm 

Hi,

I have run "Find associations with missing files" many times but it reports that all the files have been found. I know that there are a number of missing & moved files. I have even deleted several of the movies to test it.
I am using v.4.10.7

Thanks,
Chip

Post subject: Re: Find associations with missing files runs but does not w
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:15 pm 

I've just tested, and it worked as expected.

Can you find a movie associated with a missing file?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:20 pm 

I had corrected most of them by removing them from owned and can't remember which of the others I had moved.

I just deleted 2 movies and this time it found that they were missing.

I tried moving a movie from a subfolder up to the main move folder and it didn't report that one as missing. The listing still showed it was in it's original folder. The weird thing is that it would still play the movie even though it wasn't where it belonged. Even stranger, when I scanned the folder it found the file in it's new location so now I have 2 videos showing in the listing and both of them will play!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:40 am 

If you've moved the file to a different disk but only the drive letter has changed, the program considers that it's the same file and that the disk was just assigned a different letter. But if you move the file to a different folder, then it's not recognized as the same file.

Can it be the explanation?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:45 am 

All the movies are on the same disk. To test it I just moved the file up one level so I guess we need a different explanation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:08 am 

I just added some movies, ran a scan and then searched for missing files. This time it figured out the one file no longer there because I moved. Beats me as to why it couldn't do that the last 2 or 3 times I ran it.

It appears to be working now. If I have any more trouble with it then I will try later to see if that helps. I'll post again if I get any new info.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:52 am 

OK... Apparently, you managed to put a little magic into Coollector when you coded it.

I deleted a movie and ran the file association check. It said everything was OK. I also was able to play the movie through Coollector. File explorer says it is no longer in the folder. The program Everything says it is no longer anywhere to be found. I opened VLC media player and selected the movie from the recent list and it played! I then selected the next selection in the recent file list, which was the same movie except that I had opened it with Coollector BEFORE I deleted the file. It said that it couldn't open the file.

It looks to me like Coollector is able to find a file after it has been moved - even moved to the recycle bin! I know that the file isn't deleted, Windows just marks it as deleted. I also know that even when the Recycle Bin is emptied that the file is still on the disk but no longer is indexed as to where to find the pieces. But I don't know anywhere near enough to even guess as to how this can happen!

I'm going to bed now & give my poor brain a rest.. I'm going to let you try to figure out this!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:11 am 

profcbsjr wrote:
OK... Apparently, you managed to put a little magic into Coollector when you coded it.

No magic on my computer. After I delete the file, I click the "play" icon and the file launches with VLC, but there's nothing to see because it's deleted.

(I've tried both sending to the recycle bin and deleting permanently)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:01 pm 

I have the answer! You said Coollector could find the file if it was on a different drive. I backup the movies to a network drive that I have mapped to my computer. Coollector will find the file on the network drive until I run the backup program. It's only after the two drives are in sync that Coollector can't find the file.

Thanks,
Chip

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:11 pm 

:V: