It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: program quits on update attempt
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:51 am 

On program start, it attempts to contact update center and I receive a message stating, 'downloading 3 / 180867kb' and program quits. No further details and no dump screen. Is this a general problem or is it machine specific? I was running most recent previous program version under Windows 10 Pro, without any difficulties.

Post subject: Re: program quits on update attempt
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:56 am 

I'm sorry for your troubles. The update is working fine on my side, tried it on 3 different Windows computers. Please give it one last try, and if it still doesn't work, you'll have to install the new version using the setup file instead:

https://www.coollector.com/Coollector_4_16_8_Setup.exe

You'll please tell me if the same issue happens again in the future, in which case I'll try to analyze the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:47 am 

I tried again with the same result. I then attempted to run the exe file for v.4.16.8. Avast antivirus intercepted it and forwarded it to their lab for analysis. A pop-up informed me several minutes later that it had a clean bill of health and was safe to run. I ran the program and Avast immediately intercepted it. However, within moments another pop-up gave it the all-clear.It seems that Avast was interpreting all update requests as a potential threat, killing the process, but failing to advise me of its actions.
I installed V.4.16.8, which ran without further problems, except that I lost my saved Cool files and the program reset my owned movies to zero.
No matter! As we in Scotland are under virtual Covid-19 lock-down, it gives me plenty of work to keep me occupied for the next week.
I will be in touch with Avast to ask for their comments on the sensitivity of their software and for a way to avoid this situation happening again.
Once again I thank you for your patience and help in resolving this.
Stay safe and continue to produce this great app, which provides all film fans with the best tool available for cataloging collections.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:22 pm 

I've used Avast for many years, until it turned into complete garbage. I've had to move to Avira several years ago.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Avast+became+bad

I'm afraid Avira seems to be going downhill too :worried:

It's weird that you lost your data, it shouldn't have happened, but it's possible that Avast interfered with the app reading the coollection file.

Anyway, having an issue with your coollection file isn't a big problem, as Coollector automatically creates backups for you. You just have to restore your last backup.

Here are the directions to do it:

https://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection
https://www.coollector.com/help.html#backups

Don't hesitate to ask me if you need more help.

Feararamac wrote:
As we in Scotland are under virtual Covid-19 lock-down
Sorry about that. Good luck and courage!