It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Registry Key Not Read at Launch
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:13 am 

I get an error on every launch,

'Can't Read Value of HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyServer' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.

My registry does not have this key. Also, Firefox with Cooliris does not behave correctly in one circumstance.

If I click into Cooliris, then click a movie it will enlarge. I click the little arrow to go to that movie and it will minimize the window revealing the correct movie in Coollector. That's all perfect, so far.

BUT, when I click on another movie in Coollector, then click the 3-D wall icon the second time, Cooliris comes back up but now the little arrow tries to forward me to http://www.coollector.info/coucou(X) where (X) is some integer

Maybe these problems are related?

Thanks, --Jay

Post subject: Re: Registry Key Not Read at Launch
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:10 am 

Safrole Jay wrote:
I get an error on every launch,

'Can't Read Value of HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyServer' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.

My registry does not have this key.

That's strange. I don't have this registry key either (since I don't use any proxy), but my Windows XP doesn't issue any error message. What Windows do you use ? And what version of Coollector do you use ? Because if you have this message with Coollector 2.27, normally you should also have had it with Coollector 2.26.

Safrole Jay wrote:
Also, Firefox with Cooliris does not behave correctly in one circumstance.

I tried to follow you instructions, but could not reproduce the bug. Maybe you could detail a little more, telling which movie you click each time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:33 pm 

I had the same error on the last version. It might be the recent Cooliris update they did. ??

If Coollector is dependent on your server's coucou directories then maybe it's just an intermittent issue on the server? My DNS is okay because your Apache gives me a 404.

When the newest setup version on your server tripped my Antivir, I got Coollector225_Setup.exe from download.com and installed that instead. It doesn't give the registry key error on launch.

I have found the error very difficult to predict. I have tried closing Firefox each time to get a "fresh" piclens page. I have tried clicking on the 3-D wall icon multiple times to force many new piclens tabs in firefox. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a 404. When it's a 404, I have the "return to cooliris" button that is not there during a correct operation.

I have XP Pro SP3, AMD 64 x2 with 4 gig of RAM. It's a legitimate copy and is fully up to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:36 pm 

Safrole Jay wrote:
I had the same error on the last version. It might be the recent Cooliris update they did. ??

No, it's not at all related to Cooliris. It's me who changed Coollector, to make it read the proxy settings, since v2.26.

Safrole Jay wrote:
If Coollector is dependent on your server's coucou directories then maybe it's just an intermittent issue on the server? My DNS is okay because your Apache gives me a 404.

The "coucou" thing is a trick/hack from me, to know which picture you've selected inside Cooliris. Only when it fails you have time to read it. Coollector reads the address from Firefox, and if it says "coucou7", that means you clicked the 7th picture. Of course, the address "coucou7" doesn't exist, and it's normal you get a 404.

Safrole Jay wrote:
When the newest setup version on your server tripped my Antivir, I got Coollector225_Setup.exe from download.com and installed that instead. It doesn't give the registry key error on launch.

Antivir thinks there's a virus with both v2.26 and v2.27 installers. That happens to also be the 2 versions that read the registry, but that's a coincidence, it's unrelated. Only the installer is wrongly detected as containing a virus. The files inside the installer are not detected as containing a virus.

Safrole Jay wrote:
I have found the error very difficult to predict. I have tried closing Firefox each time to get a "fresh" piclens page. I have tried clicking on the 3-D wall icon multiple times to force many new piclens tabs in firefox. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a 404. When it's a 404, I have the "return to cooliris" button that is not there during a correct operation.

Ok, I understand. As I said, I was forced to use a trick to make this work. And it's very capricious. It's a matter of timing, which depends partly on how fast your computer is. Sometimes it misses and fails. There's not much I can do...

I plan to give up Cooliris as soon as possible. It's a wonderful product, but it requires Firefox and doesn't integrate too well with Coollector. Instead, as soon as I find time, I will replace it with an embedded flash window. The possibilities will be amazing. Sky will be the limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:36 pm 

Safrole Jay wrote:
I got Coollector225_Setup.exe from download.com and installed that instead.

Then, you just have to click the update button from Coollector. You'll get 2.27, and Antivir won't issue any warning. Only with the installer does Antivir think it recognizes the signature of a virus.

Anyway, I'm working on fixing the problem definitively. It's not easy, and I'm tired :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:08 pm 

Thanks for explaining all that. A flash version would be great and I agree about cooliris. I run a couple websites and wanted to use it to display old jobs to potential customers, but found out IE7 wouldn't allow the feeds with DTDs, and the embedded window from cooliris is too small. I stayed with coppermine photo gallery, php/mysql.

Microsoft probably won't change the rule on feeds with DTD, but maybe they should provide an exception for localhost? That would stop malformed sites from doing anything wrong, but open the door for developers like you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:34 pm 

Safrole Jay wrote:
Microsoft probably won't change the rule on feeds with DTD, but maybe they should provide an exception for localhost? That would stop malformed sites from doing anything wrong, but open the door for developers like you.

I've been in touch with Cooliris (they are super nice people) and they said that for the moment only Firefox was able to work with files located on your computer, but they had plans to make it work with Internet Explorer too.

But anyway, lauching Cooliris remains a burden. The ideal solution would be to have Coollector still use its current grid view (for users who don't have flash installed), and to also offer alternate views that would be flash windows embedded into Coollector. There would be a flat tiled view, a 3D tiled view ala Cooliris, and probably many others. With a button to go full screen, that would be so neat ! Yumm !

Safrole Jay wrote:

I've made a modified version of Coollector that checks the existence of a registry value before reading it:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe

Please test it and tell me if it solves your problem. Thank you very much !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:26 pm 

Yes that works, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:47 pm 

Thank YOU !

I will immediatly include the change to the download link, in hope that nobody else suffers from this bug.