It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: personal notes disappear
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:07 pm
Posts: 10
Location: japan
Well this problem appeared in both my computers with Windows XP. I might put a smiley that an actor or movie is excellent or bad and take a note about a movie i have but after i press exit everything is gone.

When i reenter the program every change i made disappears. What is happening? One of my computers had a clear installation of Windows and after that i put Firefox, Gom Player, Coollector(latest version) and an antivirus. Am i doing something wrong?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: personal notes disappear
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 5863
salazar wrote:
I might put a smiley that an actor or movie is excellent or bad and take a note about a movie
What exactly do you mean by "take a note" ?
As I understand it, it's the same as "put a smiley that an actor or movie is excellent or bad", isn't it ?


About the ratings disappearing, I thought I had definetly fixed this bug. Are you using the latest version of Coollector ? To know what version of Coollector you are using, just rest the mouse over the update button (it's the 4th central button) and a tooltip will appear, which should display "update (Coollector v2.31)".

If you're using the latest Coollector v2.31, I'll have to take a look at your files to understand the problem. Please confirm you are using Coollector v2.31, and I'll tell you which files I need you to send me.

Thank you very much !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: personal notes disappear
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:07 pm
Posts: 10
Location: japan
When i said take a note, i meant take a note about having the DVD. With little words every change i make disappears. :cry2:
Yes, i am definitely using the latest version.
Am absolutely certain that it can't be something on my computer because i have just built this new computer, put Windows XP on for first time yesterday and there is nothing else on it yet, except those programs that i said.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: personal notes disappear
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 5863
salazar wrote:
Yes, i am definitely using the latest version.

Alright, then please send me those 2 files:

"My Documents\Coollector\MyCoollection.cool"
"My Documents\Coollector\Tmp\indexing.dat"

I'd really like to have a look at them, to try to understand how "indexing.dat" could have becomed corrupted.


After you have sent those files to hector at coollector dot com, the problem should be easily fixed by deleting "indexing.dat" and starting Coollector again. Please confirm it worked.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: personal notes disappear
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:07 pm
Posts: 10
Location: japan
Ok now am completely speechless. I tried to do want you said but when i opened the Tmp file there was no indexing.dat. Only some files called piclens0.rss and piclens1.rss. I wonder if that's the problem? But where has indexing.dat went? Is there some problem with the installation?
I can sent you MyCoollection.cool if you want.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 5863
Wow, that's the first time I hear of a problem like that !

It's certainly not that, but please check that your hard drive is not full.

What happens when you double click MyCoollection.cool (Coollector must be previously closed) ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 5863
Maybe your system hides the files with a ".dat" extension.

Can you set your system to not hide the system files ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:07 pm
Posts: 10
Location: japan
Sorry mistake, read the post under.


Last edited by salazar on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:07 pm
Posts: 10
Location: japan
(cool) Hector wrote:
Wow, that's the first time I hear of a problem like that !

It's certainly not that, but please check that your hard drive is not full.

What happens when you double click MyCoollection.cool (Coollector must be previously closed) ?


No the hard drive is not full.

When i double click MyCoollection.cool the program starts running.

(cool) Hector wrote:
Maybe your system hides the files with a ".dat" extension.

Can you set your system to not hide the system files ?



I already did that after i didn't find it. The file is definitely missing.

So this is what i did know. I uninstalled Coollector then went to my documents and i found that the file Coollector was still there so i removed him manually. After that i installed Coollector again. Immediately after the installation i went to My Documents and opened the Tmp file. The file was empty. The i run Coollector and made a rating of a person. I checked the Tmp file again for indexing.dat and like a miracle there it was. So i run Coollector again to see if my rating was there or disappeared. The rating wasn't there. I go back at the Tmp file i open and yes the indexing.dat has again disappeared and the file is empty. Am confused as hell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 5863
salazar wrote:
I uninstalled Coollector then went to my documents and i found that the file Coollector was still there

It's normal. When you uninstall Microsoft Office, it doesn't delete all your doc files. It's the same with Coollector: your coollection files are preserved.

salazar wrote:
so i removed him manually

Has Coollector ever worked for you, or never ?

salazar wrote:
after that i put Firefox, Gom Player, Coollector(latest version) and an antivirus

Have you tried with your antivirus turned off ?

salazar wrote:
Immediately after the installation i went to My Documents and opened the Tmp file. The file was empty. The i run Coollector and made a rating of a person. I checked the Tmp file again for indexing.dat and like a miracle there it was. So i run Coollector again to see if my rating was there or disappeared. The rating wasn't there. I go back at the Tmp file i open and yes the indexing.dat has again disappeared and the file is empty.

It'd be good to determine the exact moment when the bug occurs.
First, delete the "Tmp" folder, then start Coollector: "Tmp\indexing.dat" should be created.
Close Coollector: "Tmp\indexing.dat" should still be there.
Start Coollector again: "Tmp\indexing.dat" should still be there.
Rate a movie, close Coollector, etc... until you know when the weirdness occurs.

salazar wrote:
Am confused as hell.

Me too :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:07 pm
Posts: 10
Location: japan
OK. So this is what happens. When i deleted the Tmp file as soon as i opened the program it was created again but with out the indexing.dat. The indexing.dat appears as soon as i make a rating of something and i close the program. Then it disappears the moment i open the program again.
Because as i know files don't disappear in thin air i discovered that most probably the indexing.dat that disappears changes and goes to the Backups file that exist in the file Coollector along with the Tmp file.
And because every time it disappears and a new indexing.dat is created the Backups file instead of having only one file it has many files "MyCoollection1", "MyCoolection2" and so on. And as many times i rate something and the indexing.dat appears and disappears so many of those files appear in the Backups file.
So any ideas what to do now?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 5863
salazar wrote:
OK. So this is what happens. When i deleted the Tmp file as soon as i opened the program it was created again but with out the indexing.dat.

It's not normal, indexing.dat should be created too, with a size of 3KB.

salazar wrote:
The indexing.dat appears as soon as i make a rating of something and i close the program. Then it disappears the moment i open the program again.

Complete weirdness !

salazar wrote:
i discovered that most probably the indexing.dat that disappears changes and goes to the Backups file that exist in the file Coollector along with the Tmp file.

Great discovery ! And a total mystery too... indexing.dat should never go into the Backups directory. But what surprises me the more, is that normally a file can't be moved when it is in use. I'm totaly baffled here !

salazar wrote:
instead of having only one file it has many files "MyCoollection1", "MyCoolection2" and so on.

That's normal. Those are the backups automatically generated by the program.

salazar wrote:
And as many times i rate something and the indexing.dat appears and disappears so many of those files appear in the Backups file.

That's not normal. Backups should only be generated when you close Coollector (and if some change was actually made).

salazar wrote:
So any ideas what to do now?

Yes, I'll have to build you a special version of Coollector that checks if indexing.dat is there or not, and reports when there's something weird. I won't have time today, but I'll do it tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your patience !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: personal notes disappear
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 5863
http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Test.exe

Please download this file and run it from the same place you installed Coollector. This special version will send a message when indexing.dat disappears, or when it's inside the Backups directory. I need to know what error message you get, and when. Thanks !


salazar wrote:
Well this problem appeared in both my computers with Windows XP.

You are from Japan. Maybe the problem is due to the japanese version of Windows XP, I don't know why, but maybe. It would be nice if one of your friends could install Coollector on his japanese system.

Also, you didn't answer my questions:

Have you try with the antivirus turned off ?
Has Coollector ever worked for you ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: personal notes disappear
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:07 pm
Posts: 10
Location: japan
(cool) Hector wrote:
http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Test.exe

Please download this file and run it from the same place you installed Coollector. This special version will send a message when indexing.dat disappears, or when it's inside the Backups directory. I need to know what error message you get, and when. Thanks !


salazar wrote:
Well this problem appeared in both my computers with Windows XP.

You are from Japan. Maybe the problem is due to the japanese version of Windows XP, I don't know why, but maybe. It would be nice if one of your friends could install Coollector on his japanese system.

Also, you didn't answer my questions:

Have you try with the antivirus turned off ?
Has Coollector ever worked for you ?


Yes i tried with the antivirus turned off. No change there.

Coollector did worked for me in the older versions before the images and at the first one or two versions after the images.

Now about the file you gave me. Whenever i close the program it shows two messages. "Weirness #1 indexing.dat disappeared" and "Weirness #7 indexing.dat disappeared". Also when i try to put a smiley on something i get a message "Coollector hasn't finished indexing the new database.."
Also sometimes i get those "weirness" messages when i open the program too.

Thanks for your efforts. I kind of think that it must have something to do with the Windows version also. I've been thinking about it but i wasn't certain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: personal notes disappear
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 5863
salazar wrote:
Coollector did worked for me in the older versions before the images and at the first one or two versions after the images.

Wow, I'd say it's more than a year ago... That's lots of versions ago... There has been so many changes...

salazar wrote:
Now about the file you gave me. Whenever i close the program it shows two messages. "Weirness #1 indexing.dat disappeared" and "Weirness #7 indexing.dat disappeared". Also when i try to put a smiley on something i get a message "Coollector hasn't finished indexing the new database.."
Also sometimes i get those "weirness" messages when i open the program too.

Thank you for the report. So it's not an illusion, indexing.dat is really disappearing, and moving to the Backups folder, which normally is impossible while being in use. I'll have another look at my code, to make sure, but I don't think it comes from there...

salazar wrote:
Thanks for your efforts. I kind of think that it must have something to do with the Windows version also. I've been thinking about it but i wasn't certain.

I'd really appreciate if you installed Coollector on a friend's computer, and see what happens.

Thank you very much !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2017 phpBB Group