It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: re: corruption of rated persons list
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:30 am 

hello.

these last two versions, 2.41 and 2.42, ended up corrupting the rated persons list.

the symptom i noticed after i run the new version for the first time is a mismatch of what is reflected on the rated persons page and what is stored in the database. any attempt to adjust the particular mismatch results in a hanging application which has to be terminated via the task manager. running the application again and the rated persons list is practically gone.

fortunately, running one of the backups recovers the list. and no mismatch. curious.

Post subject: Re: re: corruption of rated persons list
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:30 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
fortunately, running one of the backups recovers the list. and no mismatch. curious.

By any chance, did you keep a copy of the corrupted coollection file that you could send me ?

I would have looked if the file was really corrupted, or if it was in fact the indexing that was corrupted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:16 am 

hello.

the same thing happened with 2.44. since it's possible it's a corruption of the index, i took your advice given to phillipb on how to fix that. sure enough, that did the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:27 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
the same thing happened with 2.44. since it's possible it's a corruption of the index, i took your advice given to phillipb on how to fix that. sure enough, that did the trick.

I'm glad you could fix it, but I'm unhappy this kind of problem happens again.

Is there something special about your system ? What Windows do you have ? Do you use unusual locations ? Maybe a network drive ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:21 am 

hello.

i use vista x64 home premium and no networks. the installation of coollector is non-standard, on a different internal hard drive, g:\. also, the program's data file folder(s) is "redirected" from the user profile folder in c:\ to the same different internal hard drive, g:\, albeit a different folder from the installation folder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:28 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
the installation of coollector is non-standard, on a different internal hard drive, g:\. also, the program's data file folder(s) is "redirected" from the user profile folder in c:\ to the same different internal hard drive, g:\, albeit a different folder from the installation folder.

That's probably why there are issues with updates. I'll try to understand the problem and fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:40 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
the program's data file folder(s) is "redirected" from the user profile folder in c:\ to the same different internal hard drive, g:\

How do you do that ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:00 am 

hello.

from microsoft.com:

Syntax

mklink [[/d] | [/h] | [/j]] <Link> <Target>

Parameters

Parameter Description

/d Creates a directory symbolic link. By default, mklink creates a file symbolic link.

/h Creates a hard link instead of a symbolic link.

/j Creates a Directory Junction.

<Link> Specifies the name of the symbolic link that is being created.

<Target> Specifies the path (relative or absolute) that the new symbolic link refers to.

/? Displays help at the command prompt.

Examples

To create a symbolic link named MyDocs from the root directory to the \Users\User1\Documents directory, type:

mklink /d \MyDocs \Users\User1\Documents

if i recall, i did a mklink /h /j