It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: re: data execution prevention
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:18 am 

"DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you

Check for a DEP-compatible version of the program or an update from the software publisher before you change any DEP settings."

hello.

the above were taken from vista in regards to data execution prevention. i don't recall if i've ever placed coollector.exe in the exceptions list of DEP protection. But i've been getting a rash of these DEP crashes and systray notifications. in the past, the errors and the offending modules were the same. but i never noticed the systray notifications, until recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:39 am 

It's the first time I hear about "data execution prevention". I use Vista too, but I never received any error message like that, was it for Coollector or for any other program.

How much RAM do you have ? How many RAM is Coollector using ?

When did you start receiving those messages ?

Do someone else get those too ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:45 am 

hello.

vista64 8 gigs ram and coollector takes up 22,000 k after startup minimized and go up to 24,000 k in use.

looking thru the event logs, i had coollector errors that dated back to march when the pc was built. between august 2 and august 23, there were no errors (no usage?). since then, i've noticed the DEP, although i couldn't nail down a specific date.

i had also recently deleted prior versions of downloaded coollectors and the timestamps of each version. hope you have a record of the versions and their dates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:40 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
vista64

Don't look any further, that's most probably the explanation.

My Vista is a (normal) 32 bits. I'd have to get my hands on a Vista64 computer, compile Coollector on it, and see what it gives. I'll make this test as soon as I'll have the opportunity, I really don't know when...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 am 

hello.

someone on the norton users forum posted reports of DEP with a few of their programs after an upgrade to norton internet security 2010. the timeframe seems to overlap my DEP events and upgrade. so i'll be pursuing that lead. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:04 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
the timeframe seems to overlap my DEP events and upgrade. so i'll be pursuing that lead. thanks.

I'm afraid I'm too stupid to understand :sorry:

but if you can find a solution by yourself, that's great !

Please keep us informed.