It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Selections not staying open
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:16 pm 

I just downloaded Coollector based on recommendations from the Afterdawn.com forum. It seems pretty cool, but I am having problems. When I click on certain buttons on the program the information does not stay up long enough to make a selection. When I click on Search the window with the types of searches only stays up for a second or two, not long enough to actually make a selection. This also happens when I "click for more information" on the existing movie types.

Not sure if this is normal. I am running Win XP SP3, version 2.59. Let me know if you need any more information.

Post subject: Re: Selections not staying open
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:26 pm 

klassic wrote:
Not sure if this is normal.

It's completely abnormal, and you're the first to report something like that.

klassic wrote:
Let me know if you need any more information.

The information is supposed to disappear only when you move your mouse out of it for longer than 1 second.

Does the information correctly appear below your mouse, or somewhere else ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:01 am 

It appears with my cursor in the box. I just tried it again. I clicked on the button and did not even move the cursor. It stayed open for a second and then closed. Sometimes it is open for less than a second. I am using a laptop with a touch pad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:26 pm 

Please download this test program

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Test.exe

and tell me what message it displays when the box disappears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:27 pm 

There is no message displayed when the box closes on me like it has been. If I click the button and move the mouse very quickly out of the box to make it close I get value=2. When I click ok I get value=3. Otherwise there is no message displayed when the box closes like it has been for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:47 am 

klassic wrote:
There is no message displayed when the box closes on me like it has been. If I click the button and move the mouse very quickly out of the box to make it close I get value=2. When I click ok I get value=3. Otherwise there is no message displayed when the box closes like it has been for me.

I'm still a little puzzled, but that's an interesting piece of information.

Here is a new version of the test program:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:32 am 

Ok, I hope you can follow this.

When I click on a button and don't move the mouse out I get (1) value=11 and (2) value=10.

If I click on a button and move the mouse quickly out of the window I get (1) value=2 and (2) value=10. Then when I close the value=2 I get a value=3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:22 am 

klassic wrote:
When I click on a button and don't move the mouse out I get (1) value=11 and (2) value=10.

That's it ! The box disappears because a key is pressed.

I don't know what's wrong with your computer, but that's very weird.

Are you sure that when you use the mouse, your hand doesn't inadvertantly press the keyboard ?

If not, maybe you should shut your computer down, and make a fresh startup.

Anyway, here's a new version that will tell us what key is pressed:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:29 am 

Well I won't be at home for a few days, so I can't try that new file. However I will tell you that it is the = key. There seems to be a problem with the laptop and that key. It is quite a strange problem. I only found out about the problem while trying to play an old computer game Civilization 2. While playing that game, and only while playing that game I was having problems. Kept getting error messages in the game. Couldn't figure out what it was until I installed Win98 in a virtual machine and tried to play the game within the virtual machine. Win98 kept showing the = key being pressed. If I opened note pad in 98 it would keep entering =. If I opened up notepad in XP nothing would happen.

I cleaned out the keyboard and even tried removing and resetting the key, to no avail. Recently my daughter busted a key off the keyboard so I bought a new one. Apparently it still has the problem with the = key. This is gonna piss me off, cos the computer is not under warranty with Dell. I have no idea what would cause this key to be quasi stuck.

Thanks for helping. Also as a side note the post should have said that I got 28 boxes with value=10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 am 

klassic wrote:
Well I won't be at home for a few days, so I can't try that new file. However I will tell you that it is the = key.

But there's still something strange that I don't understand... If it was the = key, it should have made appear the string search, and the program would keep beeping at each auto-repeat.

klassic wrote:
I cleaned out the keyboard and even tried removing and resetting the key, to no avail.

When you can, please try the test program and tell me what keycode it returns. Maybe you were accusing and trying to fix the wrong key...

Using the normal program (not the test program), the = key is working fine, isn't it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 pm 

I will try it out tomorrow evening. Apparently there are several people that have this sort of issue with Dell Laptops. There is a bios update that some say fixes this. The = key is not stuck enough to repeatedly type the = sign. But in programs like photoshop if you press the ctrl key it keeps zooming in. ctrl-= in photoshop is the short cut for zoom. I will try the exe once before the update, and once after and post the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:57 pm 

I've just released version 2.60, with a modification which I hope will make the program work despite your laptop problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:28 pm 

I have installed the new update, and it now works on my laptop. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:40 pm 

klassic wrote:
I have installed the new update, and it now works on my laptop. Thanks.

Woohooo! (I wasn't completely sure that my hack would work)

:party: