It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hit and miss errors
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:09 am 

Windows 7 x64

After version 2.80 arrived, I tried to start anew on building my collection list. To keep from scrolling and scrolling, or typing and typing, I used the filters, in particular, beginning with China and going through them annually.

Then the error occurs on various titles when I try to add the available disc - "Coollector movie database has encountered an error and will now close."

The error is repeatable on the title(s) that is selected.

For example, the filters were China and 2008. The titles that caused the error are: The Children of Huang Shi, Equation of Love and Death, and Three Kingdoms. Without filters, these titles caused the same error.

I was able to add "Empress and the Warrior" & "Red Cliff" as owned titles.

Similar events occur on other titles, with and without filters. Hit and miss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:29 am 

Sorry about your issues, we'll try to understand what's wrong.

I had no problem adding "The Children of Huang Shi" and "Equation of Love and Death" to my coollection (from the existing video).

Please send me your coollection file at this address:

hector at coollector dot com

and I'll be able to make the test in the same conditions as you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 am 

In response to your e-mail, this is how I try to add video titles:

For a particular title, I mouse over to the right panel and to the two frames below the title. The left frame has the +add. The right frame has the blu-ray and/or dvd icons, if available.

I left-click on the blu-ray or dvd icon and the error message pops up, leading to the closing of the program.

Since I'm successful with other titles, I assume that is the correct method. When I am successful, there is a drop-down list of available discs and their SKUs. I then select what is offered and continue the process until it is added. Then an "underline" will appear for that title.

Curiously, as I'm typing this reply, I am unable to re-size the Coollector window when I hover the cursor at its edges. It's either 98-99% or full-size. With the disappearance of my backup file -empty TMP folder- reported in my e-mail, I suppose these "bugs" necessitate a re-install and see if they reappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:50 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
For a particular title, I mouse over to the right panel and to the two frames below the title. The left frame has the +add. The right frame has the blu-ray and/or dvd icons, if available.

I left-click on the blu-ray or dvd icon and the error message pops up, leading to the closing of the program.

Sorry, I wen to "The Children of Huang Shi" and "Equation of Love and Death", and clicking the existing videos box did not make the program crash. The video technical details appeared normally.

gigagiggles wrote:
Curiously, as I'm typing this reply, I am unable to re-size the Coollector window when I hover the cursor at its edges. It's either 98-99% or full-size.

Yes, it's my fault. I wanted to make the window full screen only, but it was a bad idea. In the future, I'll make it possible again to resize the window (as soon as I'll find time).

gigagiggles wrote:
With the disappearance of my backup file -empty TMP folder- reported in my e-mail

I think you're making a mistake here. Your backups are inside the "Backups" folder, not the "Tmp" folder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:10 pm 

Well, after I backed up my Coollector images, I uninstalled Coollector and cleaned out all registry references to Coollector. I then reinstalled 2.81. Sorted the films by title and the first entry - 0_1_0 - caused the error.

Since I usually install to a preferential folder, I tried reinstalling to the default. That, too, led to the error.

From another fresh install to the preferential folder, I skipped the first entry and progressed through the titles. I was able to add nearly a dozen titles when - 4 Musketeers - caused the error.

Do I need to install this program in a special, specific way?

Upon reading your forum post, I recalled there was no Backups folder, only the TMP folder. This time, there were both folders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:21 pm 

Please try this test version:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Test.exe

It will display a series of numbers, and depending on where it stop, I'll be able to locate the bug. Thank you very much !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:24 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
Upon reading your forum post, I recalled there was no Backups folder, only the TMP folder. This time, there were both folders.

It's normal, the backup would have been created if the program had closed normally, but instead it crashed, so no backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:23 pm 

The creature that protects my PC allowed the test executable to download. The file also passed muster while inactive.

Once activated, the creature roared, gobbled, chewed and swallowed the file. Twice. Whatever the file is supposed to do, there was no visual evidence on screen. And my external drive lit up with activity the two times the file was executed. I've also noticed that you posted the same file with the same notation for pixelwave in the "general" forum.

Please explain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:35 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
I've also noticed that you posted the same file with the same notation for pixelwave in the "general" forum.

Yes, I think those two bugs are probably two manifestations of a same problem.

gigagiggles wrote:
Please explain!

I have no idea... I don't understand what could have happened...

Coollector_Test.exe is just a slightly modified version of Coollector.exe, only difference is it's supposed to display some messages at some points, to help me locate where the program crashes (I can't locate the bug on my system, since I have no bug on my system).

Maybe you could save Coollector_Test.exe to the same location you installed Coollector.exe, and run it from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:40 pm 

I forgot to say: Coollector must be closed, otherwise the test program won't run (there can be only one instance of the program running at a time).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:56 pm 

I moved the test file from the downloads folder to the installed program folder and the test file ran like a regular coollector.exe. Rather odd behavior, though, when executed from the downloads folder on the primary C drive -- accessing an external D drive.

Anyways, the number sequence ended at 5. Then, I was able to add the titles aforementioned. When I left-clicked the items on the menu bar, 5 popped up immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:15 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
Anyways, the number sequence ended at 5. When I left-clicked the items on the menu bar, 5 popped up immediately.

This is all normal. Perfectly normal...

gigagiggles wrote:
Then, I was able to add the titles aforementioned.

What ? No crash ? If I remove the messages, you'll be fine ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:37 am 

I'm sorry to report the following while running the test file after taking a break:

Used China filter. Of the titles I tried to add ---

circus kids "crashed" after counting through 5 (the only title -- what are the odds of that happening)

crouching tiger, curse of lola, curse of the golden flower, deadful melody, hero, house of flying daggers, invisible target, jade warrior, king of masks, kung fu hustle, "lust, caution", musa the warrior, the myth, not one less, the promise, the road home, the seven swords, temptress moon, the warlords, warriors of heaven and earth

these ended at 3 and nothing ... no "crash" and no option to add. If I try to add the title again, it will count to 3 and then nothing.

I was able to add several titles after going through the number sequence to 5. At no time was the option to add immediately displayed. I hope that was intentional.

Taking a different tack, I went unfiltered and scrolled to The Abyss and Acapulco H.E.A.T.. They both counted to 3 and then nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:52 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
circus kids "crashed" after counting through 5 (the only title -- what are the odds of that happening)

Have you tried several times to check that it happens systematically with this title ?

gigagiggles wrote:
crouching tiger, curse of lola, curse of the golden flower, deadful melody, hero, house of flying daggers, invisible target, jade warrior, king of masks, kung fu hustle, "lust, caution", musa the warrior, the myth, not one less, the promise, the road home, the seven swords, temptress moon, the warlords, warriors of heaven and earth

these ended at 3 and nothing ... no "crash" and no option to add. If I try to add the title again, it will count to 3 and then nothing.

It's normal, all those movies have more than 1 existing video => a context menu must be displayed for you to choose between the existing videos, but displaying the test message makes the context menu disappear before you even see it.

I've made a new test program (without the messages):

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Test2.exe

Naturally, I think it will crash, as we fall back on the original program. But I have to check... My theory is that displaying the test messages somehow prevented the program from crashing.

So... Does it crash ? Does it not ?

P.S: thank you very much for your patience !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:39 pm 

hello!

After test2 was downloaded, I moved it to the Coollector directory. When ran, my protective creature swallowed it up because my external drives lit up with activity.

After freeing test2 from quarantine, it ran normally.

"Circus Kids" was selected twice at the beginning of test1. After twice crashing, I moved on to the rest of the China-filtered titles. Upon reaching the end of the list without a crash, I scrolled back to "Circus Kids" and its selection crashed.

Test2 was conducted in similar fashion as test1. "Circus Kids" crashed. Twice. Without the number sequence, the rest of the China-filtered titles proceeded well ... except ...

"Purple Butterfly" had previously been added in test1. However, I missed all the signs of that and tried to add it. And it crashed. This title's difference from the others that I had selected was that it had only one disc/SKU to represent itself. After repeating the crash, I looked for singular representations in the China-filtered list. "13 cold blooded eagles" and "all about women" crashed.

"0_1_0" also crashed.

I ran the first test.exe on these few titles and the option to add was available. I added "0_1_0" and closed the program. I ran test2 and tried to add "0_1_0" and it crashed.

I ran the original executable and these same titles crashed.

I hope these "symptoms" will help you further.