It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: cwb--crashing while browsing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:13 pm 

After updating to version 13, I was browsing Coollector OFF-line when the program would freeze the handful of times I tried to browse, several minutes into each session. Each freeze required taskmanager to end the program. While I wasn't trying to trigger a freeze, one commonality was my dragging the scrolling placeholder down the scrollbar.

windows 7 x64 home premium, made no changes (ratings, owned, deletions, additions) in several months, added kakashi's bundled posters.

Observations:
After the "fix" regarding the slow scrolling, the slowness returned in this respect--initial startup would result in slowness from the start. After program end and restart, the first page-down via the scrollbar would be quick. But subsequent page-downs would be slow. Subsequent closing and restarting of program would only speed up the first several page-downs.

The user-interface fonts are legible. But the fonts inside the smaller windows (search and movie capsules) are oversized for the height allowed. One time just before a freeze, a scroll of the search pane resulted in the height increasing to allow the fonts to fit. Could not replicate this happenstance.

Post subject: Re: cwb--crashing while browsing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:33 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
Observations:
After the "fix" regarding the slow scrolling, the slowness returned in this respect--initial startup would result in slowness from the start. After program end and restart, the first page-down via the scrollbar would be quick. But subsequent page-downs would be slow. Subsequent closing and restarting of program would only speed up the first several page-downs.

I have observed that too, and my theory is that it's due to some Windows caching. You can make the test by copying several files. The first time will be slow, but if you copy the files again, it will be much faster, thanks to some operating system caching. The same happens in Coollector. The first time you read the pictures on your hard drive, it's slow and it slows down the scrolling. But the next times will be faster.

gigagiggles wrote:
After updating to version 13, I was browsing Coollector OFF-line when the program would freeze the handful of times I tried to browse, several minutes into each session.

That's strange, I haven't observed any freezing. Are there other programs running ? Have you tried to restart your computer ? Did someone else have the same experience ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:41 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Did someone else have the same experience ?

Not here... The program is working just fine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:47 pm 

I've been able to replicate one trigger to freezing.

While browsing movies, if the right panel contains a scrollable synopsis which has oversized fonts for the height allowed, and I scroll through the synopsis, then the freeze occurs, program not responding (although task manager shows cpu usage 1% by the program) and I must close via task manager.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:18 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
if the right panel contains a scrollable synopsis which has oversized fonts for the height allowed

Could you please make a screenshot of this problem ?

Is it random or does it happen all the time ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:34 pm 

As I browse for movies that have scrollable synopses and I scroll through a synopsis, the freeze will occur.

I also mentioned previously if I drag the scrollbar placeholder from a to z, the subsequent selection of a movie will induce a freeze.

Attachments:
crash.png
crash.png [ 155.87 KiB | Viewed 8222 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:15 pm 

Indeed, the fonts on your system are surprisingly bigger than normal. Have you changed the fonts on your computer ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:40 pm 

-> Going to res. settings and setting font to 150% ruined the coollector interface.

platform: Win 7x64
build: 7600

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 pm 

kakashi wrote:
-> Going to res. settings and setting font to 150% ruined the coollector interface.

Coollector can't handle this, because there are many elements that are fixed sized. It'll take a lot of rewrite to make the interface handle this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:58 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Coollector can't handle this, because there are many elements that are fixed sized. It'll take a lot of rewrite to make the interface handle this.

Understandable :yes:

Fortunately I have no prob with the extremely small fonts of fullHD. :)

Why not make the text fixed size too so that it's possible for users to use large fonts on their PCs without affecting Collector's Interface.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:26 am 

kakashi wrote:
Why not make the text fixed size too

The text is already fixed sized, and that's precisely the problem.

For instance, font size is set to 12, but if you use 150% larger fonts, they'll take up 150% more pixels.

I know there are ways to handle this, but it will take an heavy interface redesign.

I'll do it, but I don't know when.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:37 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
The text is already fixed sized, and that's precisely the problem.

OK, it seems that i misunderstood you. At first i thought when you said fixed size you meant that the OS couldn't change it. Thanks for explaining

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:38 pm 

"As I browse for movies that have scrollable synopses and I scroll through a synopsis, the freeze will occur."

Version 14 contains the same bug. Took notice that I can scroll a scrollable movie synopsis ad perpetuem without freeze. But as soon as I leave that box and click on an actor or another movie, then it is instant freeze.

BTW, I use a custom-sized 140% font on a 1920x1080 screen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:21 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
I use a custom-sized 140% font on a 1920x1080 screen.

Please make the test to use a normal font.

If that confirms that the problem is really due to the font size, please explain me how I can change the font size on my computer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:57 pm 

I've changed the font size on my computer, and the result is horrible with Coollector. How can you use the program like that ?

Now that I'm aware of the problem, I'll try to improve the situation. But it's not a priority, and it'll take many months.