It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: automatic downloads of file(s!)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:47 pm 

I was reading kakashi's post about a bug. So, I ran coollector to take a gander. Seeing as I prefer the list view, my inspection came to naught and I went my merry way.

I also prefer no automatic downloads. That setting was made way back when. In these past weeks, I've done similar actions--running coollector while reading the bug threads.

Today, I found a *.test and a *.setup file had been downloaded without asking me for permission. And most definitely without me directly asking for a download, let alone a test file.

SO, do I have to check the settings every time after I installed the next version?

AND, how did a test.exe get shoved onto my PC? I've downloaded test files from you in the past to help debug. But this is not acceptable!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:10 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
Today, I found a *.test and a *.setup file had been downloaded without asking me for permission.

What you describe seems impossible. What are the names, locations, and file size ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:03 pm 

After I went offline post-report, I ran the installed .23 version again. The setting for automatic update remains unticked.

As for the two files, the first (coollector_test.exe 988 kb) shows a download time 4 hours ago. The second (coollector_setup.exe 33256 kb) arrived a minute later. This file is different from the .23 version which has 36966 kb. These files were found in my designated downloads folder c:\third party software\downloads.

What troubles me more , although it may not be your concern, is that my security suite failed to register these two events in its log.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:28 pm 

I'm 100% sure that it's not a problem with Coollector.

1) 33256 kb was the size of the setup for Coollector v2.87. This version was released 9 months ago, and is not available anywhere on the net.

2) coollector_test.exe is certainly the test file that I gave you at the time, and it was available on the net for a very short time.

My guess is that it's all related with your web browser. "c:\third party software\downloads" is probably where your browser downloads files. The only mystery is the file dates, are you sure about them ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:06 pm 

The properties of the two files are sparse, but the timestamps are correct.

My PC housekeeping includes moving downloads into other folders. The downloads folder would be empty prior to an internet session.

After leaving this forum, an iso download had been initiated, much earlier than these timestamps. The PC was then monitored, but not engaged, until the iso was downloaded 20 minutes after the timestamps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:14 pm 

Did you restore from a disk error ? Maybe those files were erased a long time ago, then brought back to life today.

All I have to say, it's that those files can't have been downloaded a few hours ago, because it's months that they don't exist anywhere on the internet.

Coollector isn't a scamware. We don't do anything in your back. What would be the goal to make you download those old files ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:28 pm 

Hector, thanks for getting past my initial anger and helping me reason this thing through.

My initial reaction was based on the timeline. While there is no official conclusion yet, I've reasoned the following:

The two files in question were quarantined in the past and stayed in quarantine.

Friday afternoon, a huge iso download was attempted and failed 80% later. The partial file was left as is in hope of resumption from where it left off. A reboot was made to reenable the hardware that had somehow quit. Saturday morning, I resumed/retried the iso download. It started from the beginning. It was the only download. When the timeline that morning showed my visit to this forum, my running of coollector, then the iso download, and somehow the coollector files appear (timestamps-wise) before the iso download finished, I had reached my initial conclusion.

When I checked this morning on my quarantines, there weren't any. Empty!

Somehow due to a confluence of events, the quarantine walls were collapsed and the files were freed. How and why the timestamps are beyond my ability to determine.

To conclude, I apologize for my inital anger.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:10 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
To conclude, I apologize for my inital anger.

It's okay. No offense taken.