It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: version 3.03 crash problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:12 pm 

"I'll have to wait unitl the next program/prices update. Hope I remember for next time."

I remembered! Windows 7 x64 home premium.

Updated from version 3.04. Prices were downloaded first. Then the program. At the end, message that coollector must be closed to install. I clicked that and the program closed. Then nothing. No Coollector, no Norton, nothing. I then looked in the usual suspects for the update program downloaded. I looked through Norton for signs of interference. Nothing.

When I reopened Coollector, it still shows 3.04. When I re-ran update, the prices were "already OK" and the 'program and database' began the download again. Again, nothing happened after I clicked on the message to close.

It would seem my method of updating the program is preferable.

---------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

On a different note, my preferred format in the right panel is not being retained. Despite setting it to the attached preferred.png and closing the program, the attached format.png always comes up when I re-open Coollector.

Attachments:
format.PNG
format.PNG [ 260.73 KiB | Viewed 4907 times ]
preferred.PNG
preferred.PNG [ 265.34 KiB | Viewed 4907 times ]
download.PNG
download.PNG [ 332 KiB | Viewed 4907 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:28 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
At the end, message that coollector must be closed to install. I clicked that and the program closed. Then nothing.

That's strange, it works fine on my Windows 7. Have you looked if the installer didn't show at the bottom of your screen, in the bar listing all the opened windows.

gigagiggles wrote:
On a different note, my preferred format in the right panel is not being retained.

I could reproduce this bug. It'll be fixed with the next update. Thank you very much !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:01 pm 

"That's strange, it works fine on my Windows 7. Have you looked if the installer didn't show at the bottom of your screen, in the bar listing all the opened windows."

Coollector is not amongst those on the taskbar. A couple more attempts to update results in the same download of program. The coollectorupdater.exe was found in the coollector/tmp folder. When I re-opened coollector, the file disappeared. When I clicked update, the file re-appeared as a placeholder for the download. After this download, I moved on by clicking the updater. Coollector was then updated to 3.05.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:19 pm 

Thank you for your excellent report.

Everything seems fine, except that the installer isn't executed.

What's the full path of the folder "coollector/tmp" ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:24 pm 

"What's the full path of the folder "coollector/tmp" ?"

The standard: c:\users\username\my documents\.

Similar to what happened with the prices last week. The prices were downloaded via CoollectorUpdater.exe and never activated. When activated, it supposedly updates silently in the background without user interaction nor visual display.

With the program update, when I activated the updater, the OS intervened with the UAC. Once that is processed, a window shows the extraction and update progress. No user interaction required until update is finished. Then the option to run Coollector is offered.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:44 am 

Exact same behavior for me. Downloaded and then didn't execute on closing the program. Ran the updater manually from the tmp directory and it worked fine it just didn't autorun the updater when it was finished downloading it and the program was closed.

OS vista - 3gb ram - Q6600 cpu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:57 am 

Oops spoke too soon. After update shows as 3.05. When I shut down the program and restart it comes up again as 3.04 and redownloads the updater again. Tried this 3 times with the same result each time. After update shows as 3.05 until shut down then reverts to showing 3.04 and redownloads the update.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:14 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
The standard: c:\users\username\my documents\.

And what's your username ? I asked to see if there could be a caracter that made the execution fail.

(you can send me a private message if you don't want to reveal your name on this forum)

gigagiggles wrote:
Similar to what happened with the prices last week.

The problem last week was that Norton blocked the installer. That doesn't seem to be the case here. You get no message from Norton, isn't it ?

gigagiggles wrote:
With the program update, when I activated the updater, the OS intervened with the UAC. Once that is processed, a window shows the extraction and update progress. No user interaction required until update is finished. Then the option to run Coollector is offered.

All this looks normal. We now have to understand why the installer isn't launched.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:17 am 

Jhereg wrote:
Exact same behavior for me.

Thank you for your feedback. What's your username on your computer ?

(you can send me a private message if you don't want to reveal your name on this forum)

Jhereg wrote:
After update shows as 3.05. When I shut down the program and restart it comes up again as 3.04 and redownloads the updater again.

If you don't close Coollector, then the updater can't replace the exe file.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:03 am 

Mines easy as I was lazy when installing the OS.

User name is Owner so path is
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Coolector\Tmp\CoollectorUpdater.exe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:16 am 

Jhereg wrote:
Mines easy as I was lazy when installing the OS.

User name is Owner

Ok, so it can't be a caracter problem.

I'll have to make a test program to try to understand the problem. Unfortunately I'm too busy do it today, but probably tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your help !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:54 pm 

Don't know if this might be a clue.

The attached png shows Coollector.exe in the root directory c:\ along with the history.txt. The executable is version 3.05 and the txt file reflects changes through 3.05.

The coollector folder where this is normally installed shows the 3.04 version of both the executable and the history file.

The users\public folder contains the updated 3.05 .dat files.

All of this is as a result of clicking the dormant updater.exe in the tmp folder.

Normally, when I update via the download, a new coollector shortcut is added to the desktop. Via the updater, no shortcut was added.

Attachments:
root.PNG
root.PNG [ 26.73 KiB | Viewed 4890 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:14 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
All of this is as a result of clicking the dormant updater.exe in the tmp folder.

When it's Coollector who runs the installer, it tells it where to install. Since you ran the installer without giving it that information, the new Coollector.exe wasn't installed in the right directory. That's why, when you launched Coollector again, it was still the old version.

gigagiggles wrote:
Normally, when I update via the download, a new coollector shortcut is added to the desktop. Via the updater, no shortcut was added.

Yes, the two installers have small differences.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:19 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
On a different note, my preferred format in the right panel is not being retained.

You're right, the grid settings were not remembered correctly. Thank you very much for pointing out this problem !

Please replace your Coollector.exe with this one:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe

and tell me if everything's fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:09 pm 

Jhereg wrote:
Exact same behavior for me. Downloaded and then didn't execute on closing the program.

I've created a test program:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Test.exe

It's a version 3.04, so it'll try to update to version 3.05.

After you click the button "Coollector will close to install the new program", this version will display a message telling which command it'll execute to launch the updater. I have added quotes to the second part of this command, so if it was the origin of the problem, then the update should work.

Does the update work ? If not, what was the command executed ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next