It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Loss of mouseclick and mouseover on right or left pane
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:40 am 

Hi, Thanks for a fantastic program. I've only been using it a few days but it fills a niche that I've wanted to fill for ages. I only wish I'd found it sooner. I found a couple of bugs you may be unaware of where alternately the right or left pane does not respond to mouseclick or mouseover events. They can be triggered as follows:

1. Click 'Owned'
2. Add or remove an owned movie in the right panel
3. Click 'Movie String Search' and try a new search
At this point the entire left panel responds to keyboard events but not to mouseclicks or mouseovers. I'm working around it by switching focus to a different program and then back, or switching to display the full movie list if I am adding several things in a row as it only seems to happen when viewing 'owned'.

a. Click 'Owned'
b. Click 'Movie String Search' and type in the first word and part of the second word of a multiword title.
c. Use the mouse to select the second word of the title.
Coollector will prompt with the third word of the title. If you don't pass the cursor over the list of suggested words, the right pane does not respond to mouseclicks or mouseovers. This seems to persist until you pass the cursor over the search suggestions, then all is well again.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Loss of mouseclick and mouseover on right or left pane
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:55 am 

crake wrote:
Hi, Thanks for a fantastic program. I've only been using it a few days but it fills a niche that I've wanted to fill for ages. I only wish I'd found it sooner.

Thank you very much ! What's the niche that it fills ?

crake wrote:
I found a couple of bugs

What version of Coollector are you using ? And what version of Windows ?

Because I did as you describe, and the mouse keeps responding normally to mouseclicks or mouseovers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:57 pm 

While trying to reproduce your bug, I've noticed that when you add or remove a video, the string search disappears and is replaced by the filtered search. That's a bug, and I've fixed it with version 3.10.

Please update to version 3.10 and tell me if this has also fixed your bug, or if your bug is still there.

(I've released version 3.10 in a hurry, to fix an even more serious bug that I've stumbled upon, involving the existing videos).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:51 am 

The niche I was referring to is a way to organize my video collection where I'm able to sort the collection based on multiple parameters, view extended information on any video, including graphics, and open the video file from the same application in the player of my choice. Oh, and without having to manually enter the details for each video. Your application does all this beautifully.

My most used aspects of the search filters are movie/series, genre and year. If I were to wish for any change to the current setup, it would be two things: search by year range instead of single year only (I feel like watching a 90's action flick and choose 1990-1999 for example, two combo boxes or what have you) and to have it retain the added filters between sessions... (which I just checked and see the new version already does. That was cool!)

I'm using Windows 7. I downloaded the cnet installer about 6 days ago but I don't know what version it was as I have already deleted the installer file, and the next time I opened the application to check after seeing your post it downloaded the latest version. There seemed to be a problem with the call to the media player but the mouse focus issues I'd noticed were gone. Today it did another update to v3.12 and the media player call is back to normal also.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:02 am 

crake wrote:
Your application does all this beautifully.

Thank you, I like to know how people use the program :D

crake wrote:
search by year range instead of single year only (I feel like watching a 90's action flick and choose 1990-1999 for example, two combo boxes

Yes, I'll add a "year2" extra filter, the same way there is a "genre2" extra filter.

crake wrote:
the mouse focus issues I'd noticed were gone. Today it did another update to v3.12 and the media player call is back to normal also.

So everything is fine ? No more bug ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:09 am 

While trying to reproduce your bug, I've stumbled on yet another bug. :shock:

If you click a scrollbar, then you can't type letters anymore to make a string search. You have to click the tabs to make it work again.

What's amazing, is that this bug exists since version 3.0 :shock:

Indeed, it had already happened to me, several times, to not be able to type a search. But each time I could not figure out what had triggered the problem. I'm shocked to discover that the cause was so "obvious" :shock:

This bug will be fixed with the next update, but if you don't want to wait, you can immediatly replace your Coollector.exe with this one:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:18 am 

Quote:
Yes, I'll add a "year2" extra filter, the same way there is a "genre2" extra filter.

Sweet!!!

Quote:
If you click a scrollbar, then you can't type letters anymore to make a string search. You have to click the tabs to make it work again.

Wow, that is a strange one. I notice it happens if you click one of the search results as well.

Quote:
So everything is fine ? No more bug ?

Yes everything is working great, with the exception of the one you just pointed out, which hasn't affected me anyway.

If you don't mind me asking, what language/ide are you using to program this? Just curious as that is an odd bug and also the program is just so damn fast/responsive!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:31 am 

crake wrote:
what language/ide are you using to program this?

The language is C++, the framework is wxWidgets, and the database is Metakit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:41 am 

Quote:
The language is C++, the framework is wxWidgets, and the database is Metakit.

Cool, so it's all potentially cross-platform as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:43 am 

crake wrote:
Cool, so it's all potentially cross-platform as well.

The Mac version is almost ready, it's a matter of days :yes:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:45 am 

crake wrote:
Wow, that is a strange one. I notice it happens if you click one of the search results as well.

Without touching any scrollbar ? Are you sure ?

Does it happen even with the new Coollector.exe ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:57 am 

Quote:
Without touching any scrollbar ? Are you sure ?

Does it happen even with the new Coollector.exe ?

Hmmm... I thought it did at the time, tried it a few times with the same result before I wrote it as I recall but I just tried it again repeatedly and it's not happening (v3.12 both times). Maybe I did hit the scrollbar before or just kept typing an incorrect letter mid-word or something foolish... Kind of interesting though, when you hit the scrollbar and the search won't take text input anymore, it will still accept a backspace.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:11 am 

Quote:
The Mac version is almost ready, it's a matter of days :yes:

Congrats! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:51 am 

crake wrote:
I just tried it again repeatedly and it's not happening (v3.12 both times).

Thank you for your testing. I'll assume that this bug is now fixed.

crake wrote:
Kind of interesting though, when you hit the scrollbar and the search won't take text input anymore, it will still accept a backspace.

Yes, I noticed. The backspace, and the "Esc" key too.

When you clicked the scrollbar, it took the keyboard focus, and from there I no more controlled anything. The scrollbar behaved as it was programmed to behave by Windows programmers. And apparently, it was programmed to transmit only the backspace and esc key events.

Well, that's how I understand this weird bug :sorry: