It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Error 740
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:03 am 

Hi all, I've been using Coollector for some time, and am impressed by what it offers. Today I booted the program as usual, and it attempted to go through the update process as occurs each time I boot.

The program crashed, with the following error message "C:\users\mary\Documents\Coollector\tmp\Coollectorupdater.exe /d=C:\users\public\douments\coollector failed (error 740: the requested operation requires elevation"

Can anyone suggest what has happened, and hot I get back my program, including the database? I can go no further that I've explained, and I don't know where the database file is located. I'm stuck, and I don't know how to proceed.

TIA for anysuggestions/help. I really need to get back to work on my movies!

Post subject: Re: Error 740
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:50 am 

fannyonelung wrote:
Can anyone suggest what has happened

I really don't know. The update to version 3.19.6 works fine for me.

fannyonelung wrote:
and how I get back my program, including the database?

Normally, nothing can have happened to your data. In fact, even if the update has failed, the program should start normally the next time (not updated, of course). Please describe what happens when you launch the program again.

fannyonelung wrote:
I really need to get back to work on my movies!

If the update from the program doesn't work, the easier is to update by installing the setup (just install, don't uninstall anything before):

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Setup.exe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:08 am 

Thanks Hector - I was remiss in not updating the program earlier. Much appreciated.

I've bought the program today, and it loaded trouble free. I can see I'll have to spend some time learning the new features and layout. It looks like a lot of work has been done in the last few months.

I now have the major problem of not having my database come up when the program loads. I'm not sure where the database is filed, or its filename. And I'm not sure what part I play in bringing up the database file. Can you help me out on this please? I've got 1500+ titles I've entered, and that's a lot of work if I have to re-enter. I hope you can give me the procedure in words of oen syllable as my computer knowledge is average. However, I follow instructions really well!

I'd appreciate your advice by return so I can get on with cataloging the last 3 months aquisitions.

Regards

Fanny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:47 am 

fannyonelung wrote:
I've bought the program today

Thank you very much for your support !

fannyonelung wrote:
I now have the major problem of not having my database come up when the program loads.

Do you have a PC or a Mac ?

When you click the menu "Help->Locate the automatic backups", how many files are there in the folder ?

If you close Coollector, then double-click the backup with the biggest number, do you get all your data back ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:06 am 

Thanks for your response. I've found the following:

Clicking on Help -Locate The Automatic Backups shows 13 backups in the location Libraries\documents\coollector\backups. From memory, this is a different location than when I was using the earlier version of Coollector (?).

If I close Coollector, locate the backup file in the above location, the program loads and the database of my entries appears.

I've perused the forum, and I understand tat the database drives the program rather than what I am used to i.i. opening the program loads the database.

Given that I have found my latest backup, my question is: how do I move the file to the folder that Coollector the program can load on opening? Or will I always have to access the backup and double-click it to load the program (a pain).

I'd appreciate your help in getting back to my old process i.e. I open Coollector and the program loads with the database. Many thanks for your help, look forward to your advice. And, as I've said before, your program is much valued, and is the best I've used so far.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:08 am 

fannyonelung wrote:
From memory, this is a different location than when I was using the earlier version of Coollector (?).

If I close Coollector, locate the backup file in the above location, the program loads and the database of my entries appears.

If you got all your data back, I seriously doubt that the location can have changed. You can make a research, but I think that your memory is wrong.

fannyonelung wrote:
how do I move the file to the folder that Coollector the program can load on opening?

When you launch Coollector, it opens the default coollection file. You must replace this default coollection file with your latest backup:

1) locate the default coollection file by clicking the menu "Help->Locate my coollection file". Its name is "MyCoollection.cool", and it's located inside a folder named "Coollector".

2) that folder "Coollector" contains a folder "Backups" where are located your automatic backups.

3) close Coollector, because it wouldn't be possible to replace the default coollection file if it's in use.

4) delete the default coollection file.

5) copy your backup from "Coollector/Backups" to "Coollector".

6) rename this copy "MyCoollection.cool" by removing the number from the name.

7) now that the backup has replaced the default coollection (same place, same name), it will be opened by default :V:

fannyonelung wrote:
as I've said before, your program is much valued, and is the best I've used so far.

Thank you very much :D