It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Blank filename when scanning folders
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:00 pm 

Twice now when scanning a folder, 'All about love [De l'amour]' is picked up, although it's not a movie that's present; but with a blank box on the right; you can add it, then it shows up in the movie list as owned but with no file attached.

Not sure what it's picking up but it's happened with different files and folders.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Blank filename when scanning folders
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:06 pm 

On a bit more examination - it looks like it's this file that it's not picking up properly; you can manually add it, and then it doesn't show up anymore when scanning, I assume it's something to do with the accents?

(the movie is in the database as The Decline of the American Empire)

Le Déclin de l'Empire Américain\Le déclin de l'empire américain.avi

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:21 pm 

Orclev wrote:
(the movie is in the database as The Decline of the American Empire)

It's true that the original title should be set to "Le déclin de l'empire américain". It'll be done with the next database update.

Orclev wrote:
Le Déclin de l'Empire Américain\Le déclin de l'empire américain.avi

I made the test, and I see no bug => the file goes to the "not recognized" tab.

I don't think it's the origin of your "All about love" problem. One explanation that I could think of, is that your folder contains a file that is not recognized => the scanning algorithm tries to use the folder name instead of the file name => because your folder is named "all something", the algorithm associates the file to "All about love" as it's the most popular movie starting with the word "all" ("all" being the longest matching string, as there are movies starting with "all", but there are no movie starting with "all something").

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:47 pm 

Orclev wrote:
but with a blank box on the right; but with a blank box on the right; you can add it

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Orclev wrote:
then it shows up in the movie list as owned but with no file attached.

Owned with no file attached, that really sounds like a bug. Please describe precisely what you do to get that result.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:14 pm 

Ok; when you scan a folder, the recognized files show up with the presumed database title on the left, and the path on the right; the bug is that the database title on the left is 'All about love', but the path on the right is completely blank.

This happened twice when scanning a folder container a mixture of files and directories with files in, and both times it was when the 'Decline' folder was in the top-level folder to be scanned (first time I couldn't figure out which file it was and ignored it, second time I realised which file it must be as the list was much smaller); adding the 'Decline' file manually then scanning again, and there was no 'all about love' in the list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:24 pm 

Ok, I've copied the 'decline' folder to a separate directory, when you scan it comes up recongnized as 'all about love', then if you 'add recognized files', it adds 'all about love' to the owned list, 'owned' goes up by 1 but 'playable' doesn't; in the database entry it puts a cover picture in the 'owned videos' box, and gets the right file type, avi, but when you click on the picture, then 'edit', the information box has location 'unspecified'.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:28 pm 

You get the same result if you scan the 'decline' folder directly, rather than the directory it's in; and just to check you can delete the subtitle file that's also in the 'decline' folder, and still get the bug.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:39 pm 

More tests - it's only the folder name that's affected, it can't recognise the file name at all; and it's something to do with how the accent on the two 'e's with an acute on top have been entered - if you go to rename the folder, if you put the cursor on the edit line just after either of the e-acute's, then hit backspace - it just deletes the accent on top, and turns it into a normal 'e', then the second time deletes the letter as expected.

So - 'Déclin' -> 'Declin' -> 'Dclin'

and, as soon as you delete the extra invisible character or code that is making the accent appear, then scan, it shows up as an unrecognized file as you would expect.

(incidentally - the Déclin above is a straight copy-paste from the folder name - and I get the same behaviour in this edit box, the first backspace turns it from e-acute to e, then the second backspace deletes it)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:42 pm 

Submitting the post however, strips out the extra character/code, and turns it into a normal e-acute - editing the post above, or copy-pasting the word from the post into a new edit box, and it's just the normal e-acute character, one backspace deletes it completely - so that's why you can't duplicate the behaviour...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:56 pm 

It's ASCII codes 204 and 129, converting the 'ec' bit of 'declin' to ASCII gives the sequence 101 204 129 099.

These two numbers seem to have different meanings depending on which particular version of ASCII it is...



PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:09 am 

You may be able to duplicate the bug if you name the folder 'Le de' then ALT+0129 then 'clin', that works for me, looks like it's the 0129 code that's the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:23 am 

Orclev wrote:
if you put the cursor on the edit line just after either of the e-acute's, then hit backspace - it just deletes the accent on top, and turns it into a normal 'e', then the second time deletes the letter as expected.

The input window is a standard input window. I haven't programmed how it behaves. It's managed by the operating system.

Everything you describe after that seems to point towards a unicode/UTF8 problem. Do you have a unicode version of Windows ?

I thought that Coollector was able to handle the UTF8 characters correctly, but maybe I was wrong.

For the moment, I have to admit that I don't understand everything :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:42 am 

I'm not sure if I have such a version of windows - whatever the standard UK OEM installation is of windows 7, I guess.

Maybe somehow an unusual character has crept into the database for the 'all about love' entry, so it gives a match, but can't display the path because of the unusual character? anyway, it's not very important, over 1000's of movies this is the only time I have ever seen the problem, and it's easy to work around...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:29 am 

Orclev wrote:
I'm not sure if I have such a version of windows - whatever the standard UK OEM installation is of windows 7, I guess.

Then I don't think it's a unicode version.

Orclev wrote:
Maybe somehow an unusual character has crept into the database for the 'all about love' entry, so it gives a match, but can't display the path because of the unusual character?

Nope, 'all about love' has no problem in our database.

Orclev wrote:
anyway, it's not very important, over 1000's of movies this is the only time I have ever seen the problem, and it's easy to work around...

I'm always happy when I can squash a bug, but in this case I don't have enough understanding of the problem.