It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Confusing Pilot movie with TV Series
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:01 am 

I find these 2 database entries are confusing

tt0212903 is the pilot movie for the tt1333192 TV series. According to IMDb, the titles should be as follows:

tt0212903 The Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes: Dr Bell & Mr Doyle (2000)
tt1333192 Murder Rooms: Mysteries of the Real Sherlock Holmes (2000-2001) WITHOUT the [Dr Bell & Mr Holmes]

If the intention is to keep the 2 together why not call tt0212903 Murder Rooms: Mysteries of the Real Sherlock Holmes :The Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes [Dr Bell & Mr Doyle]?

Post subject: Re: Confusing Pilot movie with TV Series
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:28 am 

haj wrote:
tt0212903 is the pilot movie for the tt1333192 TV series.

Because it's a series episode, I will remove this entry from our database.

Thank you for reporting this problem!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:41 pm 

Please don't do that! I have a DVD that corresponds to that entry. That's the problem with UK TV series. They often start with a TV movie pilot eg Lewis & Endeavour (please don't remove those either!) I was going to bring up the disorganised situation with UK TV Series. When is a TV show not a TV series? When it's entered as 5 mini-series & 7 TV movies eg Agatha Christie's Miss Marple or 6 mini-series & 3 TV movies eg Prime Suspect. That works out to an entry per "episode" which is not how the Coollector database is supposed to work but because it follows IMDb that is how it has to be done. Seriously, that's disorganised! I absolutely love Coollector but for me, personally, that's one of my pet peeves.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:16 pm 

haj wrote:
Please don't do that!

I'm sorry, that how Coollector works. We have only 1 entry per series, which gathers all the episodes, including the pilot. If you go to the series "Murder Rooms: Mysteries of the Real Sherlock Holmes", you can see that the pilot is listed as "episode 0 from season 1". It was wrong that the pilot had its own entry.

haj wrote:
Please don't do that! I have a DVD that corresponds to that entry.

It should be associated to the series.

haj wrote:
That works out to an entry per "episode" which is not how the Coollector database is supposed to work but because it follows IMDb that is how it has to be done.

Clearly not. There are a lot of other series that have a pilot, and that pilot doesn't have its own entry.

haj wrote:
Seriously, that's disorganised!

What I would consider disorganized is if there was one entry per episode. What a mess it would be! I can't see any reason why pilots should get a special treatment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:43 pm 

Lewis & Endeavour DID have pilots that had separate entries but you'll remove them now, right? I am not advocating special treatment for pilots especially. I would just like to have a coollector entry for each video I own but I guess that's not going to happen now.

You didn't address the Agatha Christie's Miss Marple & Prime Suspect issue. How do you suggest I get 1 entry per "series" for these? Don't tell me... they are NOT series they are combinations of mini-series & TV movies which brings me back to square one again! I consider them to be series but
IMBd & therefore Coollector don't, C'est la vie!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:23 am 

The Flipside of Dominick Hide (tt0082390) & Another Flip for Dominick (tt0083566) also have separate entries in Coollector. These are both episodes from the UK series Play for Today so if you're cleaning house you should remove these too!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:37 am 

AND Whistle & I'll Come to You (1968) [tt0063381] is an episode from the UK series Omnibus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:29 am 

haj wrote:
Lewis & Endeavour DID have pilots that had separate entries but you'll remove them now, right?

Right for "Endeavour". About "Lewis", the pilot doesn't seem to have its own entry. Are you using the latest database?

haj wrote:
I would just like to have a coollector entry for each video I own but I guess that's not going to happen now.

Of course each of your videos will have an entry, but an entry inside the "owned videos" box. The series itself has only 1 entry. When you search for the series, you get only 1 result, and when you click that result you can see inside the "owned videos" box all the videos that you own of that series, whether it's a video containing several seasons or a video of the pilot.

In my opinion, it's cleaner than other sofwares where you'll have an entry for each video that you own. For example, if you have the 236 episodes of the series "Friends" on your hard disk, the other programs will list them as 236 entries. With Coollector, you'll only have 1 entry for the series "Friends", and inside the "owned video" box you'll find your 236 episode files.

haj wrote:
The Flipside of Dominick Hide (tt0082390) & Another Flip for Dominick (tt0083566) also have separate entries in Coollector. These are both episodes from the UK series Play for Today so if you're cleaning house you should remove these too!

AND Whistle & I'll Come to You (1968) [tt0063381] is an episode from the UK series Omnibus

There's a handful of series like "Play for Today" and "Omnibus", for which I make an exception. With those series, the episodes are completely unrelated and it's better to consider them as individual movies. Nowadays, most people probably buy a video of "The Flipside of Dominick Hide" without even knowing that it was part of the old series "Play for Today".

https://www.amazon.com/Flipside-Dominick-Hide-Another-Regions/dp/B0006GVKAW/

But I maintain my position about the pilots: they don't deserve to have their own entry.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:46 am 

haj wrote:
You didn't address the Agatha Christie's Miss Marple & Prime Suspect issue.

Tomorrow I'll have a closer look at them. They are not series that I know well. But I have no doubt that there won't be any problem. Our system works without issue. It's neatly organized and you can manage all your videos of series.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 am 

haj wrote:
You didn't address the Agatha Christie's Miss Marple & Prime Suspect issue. How do you suggest I get 1 entry per "series" for these?

I don't see any issue at all. If you have several videos of the series "Miss Marple", the series will be marked as "owned", and when you'll click to see the series details, the "owned videos" box will hold all your videos.

My guess is that you've been using another video collection manager for a long time, and you expect Coollector to work exactly the same because your mind is firmly set on this model. But there are some differences, and in my opinion it's for the better.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:40 pm 

So I have included the separate Murder Rooms, Lewis & Endeavour pilots as season 1 episode 0 in each series owned videos per your instructions. When I imput the SKU# the correct cover art came up too which was nice. Panic averted! I was curious though. If you like to "associate" pilots with series so much why not TV movies too eg. MacGyver, Babylon 5, Galactica etc. Have you considered expanding the series "pop-up grid... ?" to include movies too?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:49 pm 

Our organization follows the same organization as the IMDb...

A pilot is an episode like the others, it's just the very first one. On the contrary, a movie is generally much more than an episode, with a bigger budget and more ambitious plot.