Switch to full style
Thank you for reporting them.
Post a reply

Re: language filter

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:54 pm

(cool) Hector wrote:
(cool) Hector wrote:Our database doesn't have that information, and it'll never have it.

Frankly, for 99.9% of the movies, it'd be ridiculous to display that information.

Imagine... "Italy | Italian", "France | French", "USA | English", "UK | English", etc...

Hector, why you should want to display all handled information? "Italy | Italian..."
coollector filters can work with hidden data too, filtering for "original language" not need to display the original language itself, yuo can decide what information to be displayed and what doesn't, but that's just me and my 2 cents.

and between, i'm not too pretentious if i prefer the original soundtrack for a movie instead of a dubbed foreign language and "lazy watching" (please don't include the subtitling here, subtitles are different things and i'm using them).

i know that we turned off from the original topic and this is more like a free discussion now as long you mentioning that this kind of information will be never implemented .... but i still hope i can convince you that this kind of information has more value not just for me but for other users as well. It's not a rush, i don't asking you to decide overnight about it, but please consider it and think about.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:42 pm

Nevergreen wrote:Hector, why you should want to display all handled information? "Italy | Italian..."
coollector filters can work with hidden data too

Hidden data is counter-intuitive.

Nevergreen wrote:filtering for "original language" not need to display the original language itself

The language filter has to be used with the existing videos, like the many other filters that I've listed that work with the existing videos. Once again, it'd be counter-intuitive if it worked otherwise.

Nevergreen wrote:i still hope i can convince you that this kind of information has more value not just for me but for other users as well.

Sorry, you and a handful of other users is not enough users to justify turning the program into a mess.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:57 pm

I think you're being picky because you think that in theory more data is always better, but in practice you're like the rest of us, and you don't need that information either. In the real life, when you watch a video, you use the sound tracks that are at your disposal. If the original version is available, great, you watch the original version. Honestly, when was the last time that you've felt the need to find that kind of information somewhere?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:33 pm

(cool) Hector wrote:I think you're being picky because you think that in theory more data is always better, but in practice you're like the rest of us, and you don't need that information either. In the real life, when you watch a video, you use the sound tracks that are at your disposal. If the original version is available, great, you watch the original version. Honestly, when was the last time that you've felt the need to find that kind of information somewhere?

of, of ... i never asked for more data, i started from the beginning with this idea: language means original language ;
but you trying to convince me :D that "every car are same, don't matter if you drive a Ferrari or a Lada, they both are cars, and you don't need any 'extra' option for them as airbags, ABS ... because you will never use them"
in real life i NEVER watch a movie just to be watched neglecting it's language, tell me picky but that's me. I use subtitles, but always watch them with original language.

when i was needed last time for such information? this morning using coollector and sorting movies i know in foreign language. why? to collect covers, actors.
when we will need it again? maybe when you want to find movies you not seen before in a foreign language (original, not dubbed) and of course you want to use this tool, not a website (imdb, rottentomatoes ...)

but again, that's just me

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Nevergreen wrote:of, of ... i never asked for more data

Of course you did. We don't have data about the original language, and you want me to add it.

Nevergreen wrote:in real life i NEVER watch a movie just to be watched neglecting it's language, tell me picky but that's me. I use subtitles, but always watch them with original language.

This I understand perfectly, but how is it related to Coollector?

Nevergreen wrote:when i was needed last time for such information? this morning using coollector and sorting movies i know in foreign language. why? to collect covers, actors.

You'll agree this is an extremely special need. I don't even understand why you prefer the language filter rather than the country filter.

Nevergreen wrote:when we will need it again? maybe when you want to find movies you not seen before in a foreign language (original, not dubbed)

This part I don't understand. Either you already have the video and the original language is available or not. Either you want to buy a video and you need to make sure it includes the original language, in which case the language filter is better applied to the existing videos.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:01 pm

Nevergreen wrote:you trying to convince me :D that "every car are same, don't matter if you drive a Ferrari or a Lada, they both are cars, and you don't need any 'extra' option for them as airbags, ABS ... because you will never use them"

As I said, Coollector won't necessarily become a better tool if I had more data. The program will become bigger to download, and the interface will become crowded. Coollector includes only what's necessary to make it a useful tool.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:03 pm

country filter working same as language, list movies filmed at that place but not necesarely in that language, a good example is Eragon.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Nevergreen wrote:country filter working same as language, list movies filmed at that place but not necesarely in that language, a good example is Eragon.

Ok, I understand. Then you should list the results by IMDb popularity as the international productions will most of the time have a higher popularity.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:19 pm

you mean using a filter and an order, yes? filter on language/country and order by popularity, yes?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Nevergreen wrote:you mean using a filter and an order, yes? filter on language/country and order by popularity, yes?

Yes, it's a suggestion.

Filter = country
Order = IMDb popularity

It should work not too bad.
Post a reply