It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coollector News
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:18 pm 

Lemonzoo wrote:
Here's my wished movie list, totaly 1000 :)

With your screenshot, I can see a handful of them. Did you publish your coollection on our website with the new feature "Online backup & publish" ?

The buttons don't look as they should. What version of Windows do you have?

The pictures don't show. Are you using the program offline?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:24 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
The buttons don't look as they should. What version of Windows do you have?

He's using a modded visual style...

I don't think he and Skinamp ever use untweaked operating systems :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:35 pm 

kakashi wrote:
I don't think he and Skinamp ever use untweaked operating systems :D

Do you know each other?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:54 pm 

Nope, only on this forum. I was simply speculating from the window frame. It reminds me of a modded windows XP i used to use alot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:16 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:

can you combine these two? i think it would be more atractive:
first list like an index with covers and upon click don't redirect you to iMDB but giving a few details as plot, genre, rating (as on second page) about a movie and only on third click going for iMDB , YouTube .... whatever.

also a remark for these 2 pages, on first the header follows the scrolling but on second is fixed. it was intended? Since is also a "quick" menu, it should follow on second link too. (but can be a matter of preferences too)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:25 am 

We've launched that feature with 2 different designs (both created by Kakashi). In the future, there'll probably be more designs.

Nevergreen wrote:
on first the header follows the scrolling but on second is fixed. it was intended? Since is also a "quick" menu, it should follow on second link too. (but can be a matter of preferences too)

An infinity of designs are possible. I think that's what it shows.

Nevergreen wrote:
can you combine these two? i think it would be more atractive:

During the last weeks, Kakashi has slightly made evolve his designs. I don't know if he intends to do something like that.

If you know how to write some html, you're welcome to submit a new page design, and if it's good enough, I'll add it to the available designs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 am 

i played with some scripts (lightbox ...) for personal use (making photoalbum), but i mostly just modified existing scrips, they are not my credits. I don't really have programming skills since it's not my specialization, but as a hobby i like it.
but since this movie list can be seen also as a "photoalbum" i don't see any big difference between them. if i got some free time ill think about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:53 am 

I suppose Kakashi will be ok if you combine the code of his 2 designs. He'll say it otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:18 pm 

I'm finding myself commenting again without much knowledge :D
just took a look at the page source of both links and i'm wondering why you included there all the details listed on the movie list:

"Title":
"Year":
"Coollector_Id": "xxxxxxx",
"IMDb_Id"
"IMDb_Popularity"
"IMDb_Rating":
"User_Rating":
"MPAA_Rating":
"Genres":
"Countries":
"Synopsis"

and even more, on the first link these details are there but not listed at all (i suppose it was built based on second link), but again, why you should include all these data on the webpage when you have the coollector_id and is unique, all of us have the very same ID for the very same movie; and since is a database (SQL .... whatever) you can simply use this ID.
your server keeps both: this database and these "my list" too, so it's suppose to be easy to handle using this unique ID. I'm not a programmer but i'm aware that you don't need to alter your database for this kind of manipulation, but instead you can use a cursor adapter (sorry for my bad exemple but i only have some kind of experience with visual Fox) and you keep your original data safe from any manipulation and from that SQL/Fox... database you can extract every single details you need to be listed. Is not more simple this way?

I repeat: i'm not a programer.

But as an idea: you only need to list the stored images based on marked ID, like in first link (details size, etc don't matter) and using a modalbox or bumpbox... (or even in a new page) adding on click rest of details:
"Title":
"Year":
"IMDb_Id"
"IMDb_Popularity"
"IMDb_Rating":
"User_Rating":
"MPAA_Rating":
"Genres":
"Countries":
"Synopsis"
and your links to iMDB and youtube ...

i'm only a dreamer?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:43 pm 

We've chosen an extremely simple solution. No SQL database whatsoever.

As you know, Coollector is capable of creating JSON files from your coollection. When you use the online publishing feature, it creates those JSON files and uploads them to the server.

Then, when you call viewcoollection.php, the php simply embeds the right json file into the right design file, and voila, it's becomed some html that your web browser can display.

The coollector Id is needed to determine the address of the pictures.

It's not my idea, this solution was found by Kakashi, and it's brilliantly simple! Without Kakashi, online publishing wouldn't have existed until many months.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:10 pm 

Our help page has been updated to explain the online backups and the online publishing.

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#online_backups

It's very important that as many users as possible upload their data to our server, because I'll make a statistical analysis of that data to develop our next great new feature: make Coollector capable of predicting how much you'll like a movie that you yet haven't seen, based on the other movies that you've rated, and based on the ratings from the users that have similar taste.

For the moment, a surprisingly small number of users have uploaded their coollection. Please do it now, so I can refine the prediction feature and make it really good. Thank you for your contribution!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:31 pm 

Probably i don't really understand what you say; Java is to much for me and I never really worked with it more than changing few parameters in existing scripts, but as i can see it "as dumb as I am" i seeing it as an easy solution to store only coollector_id (and eventually correspondent user rating) and all details to be recalled as you mentioned for images, based on this ID from the database itself..

text in html file don't generate huge dimension of files, but at bigger size maybe is possible to create delays in loading... now you stored 1434 movie details, but what if max number of 7 digits as limited now will be reached? you will have html file at few mega? I don't posses the knowledge to appreciate whole things involved, but this is how i see it now. I can be wrong, but in our history lost of important things was discovered started from stupid premises. (sorry for my english, sometimes is difficult to find my words not being a native language for me)

a personal (not released) project of my is this mushroomfinder where visual fox is involved, and i was advised that if i want more than an offline apps, its very easy to translate it to a HTML page. your database don't suppose to be more complicated when is about only to print a html list of "my movies"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:06 pm 

Nevergreen wrote:
Java is to much for me
and all details to be recalled as you mentioned for images, based on this ID from the database itself..

No, nothing is recalled from any database. The Javascript simply reads the data from the embedded JSON file (which had been created by the Coollector desktop program). The server doesn't perform ANY database action. That's the beauty of it. It's fast. It's reliable.

Nevergreen wrote:
text in html file don't generate huge dimension of files, but at bigger size maybe is possible to create delays in loading... now you stored 1434 movie details

Loading those 1434 movies is very fast. Even if you had an incredibly huge coollection of lets say 10,000 movies (owned or rated), it'd still load very fast.

Nevergreen wrote:
but what if max number of 7 digits as limited now will be reached?

The coollector ids have 7 digits, which makes 10 millions different ids. We currently have 107,000 different movies, I don't think we have anything to fear...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:23 pm 

Nevergreen wrote:
and all details to be recalled as you mentioned for images, based on this ID from the database itself..

The images are stored on several image servers. If you know the id of a movie, then you also know the address of the corresponding image. Coollector itself connects to the image servers to download the images to your computer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:39 pm 

about optimizing:
different explorers give different views. I mean on firefox (which i use mostly) everything looks ok with Kakashi DVD cases view (my current subject), but if i change it to (windows) Internet explorer, the DVD cases have an extra square in light blue which change to purple upon accessing. This should be ok too, but with internet explorer also the 2 additional "link" image (imdb and youtube) has also this light blue/purple squares which are visually annoying. possibly other explorer (opera, chrome ...) shows something same, but i don't tested.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next