It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Often unable to Movie Title [Search] field
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:59 pm 

In Coollector v3.25.5 often unable to backspace or delete previous entry in the Movie Title Search [Search] field without first selecting a different tab (such as [Movie Filtered Search]) and then returning to the [Movie Title Search] tab. Cannot say precisely when this began, but it has been a new issue in the last couple versions. In some cases, clicking the [ESC] button left of the [Search] button crashes Coollector.

I typically select a title with the Movie Title Search [Search] field, add the title as owned, then make edits to another video file on a hard drive, then return to Coollector to select the title of the file just edited. In the past, I was able to click in Coollector and hit the [backspace] key to clear my prior Movie Title Search [Search] field entry and begin typing the next title I seek. Now, more often than not, when I click back into Coollector, the Movie Title Search [Search] field is READ ONLY until after I have selected a different Coollector function tab and then returned to the Movie Title Search [Search] field.

EXAMPLE:
Typed enough letters of "magdalene sisters" into Movie Title Search [Search] field to display "2002 Magdalene Sisters,(The)". I clicked the [+ ADD] button, added the movie as owned, clicked outside of Coollector to select next video file, clicked back into Coollector and found the Movie Title Search [Search] field which still contained "magdalene sisters" to be READ ONLY in that I was not able to backspace to clear the [Search] field. I clicked the [ESC] button left of the [Search] button -- this resulted in a "Message Coollector Movie Database has encountered an error and will now close." I have now experienced this same sequence of events more than a hundred times.

Post subject: Re: Often unable to Movie Title [Search] field
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:13 pm 

I followed your instructions, and I've been able to reproduce the bug :D

Thank you very much, it'll be fixed with the next update!

iasimov wrote:
I clicked the [+ ADD] button, added the movie as owned, clicked outside of Coollector to select next video file

May I ask you why you don't use the menu "Tools->Scan my video files"?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:32 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I followed your instructions, and I've been able to reproduce the bug :D

After reading your message, I made the test, and indeed I could reproduce the bug without problem.

(cool) Hector wrote:
Thank you very much, it'll be fixed with the next update!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce the bug ever since. I've tried for several days. This is sheer madness!

I've just released version 3.25.6. Please update (to have the latest database).

Because the bug should still be there, we must switch to plan B... Please download this debug version:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Debug.zip

Unzip it where Coollector.exe is located, and use it instead of Coollector.exe, until you can reproduce the bug. When the bug will happen, click the "ESC" icon to make the program crash. When crashing, this version will generate a crash dump.

Please email me the 2 files of the crash dump at this address: hector at coollector dot com

Thank you very much for helping me to fix this bug!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:21 am 

iasimov wrote:
often unable to backspace or delete previous entry in the Movie Title Search

I've finally cracked this bug. It happens if you click a tab that is already selected.

For example, the left panel displays the movie string search, and you click the movie tab from the right panel (the movie tab is already selected). At first, that doesn't seem to have any effect, but now no more you can type letters to the string search, until you play with the tabs.

This bug will be fixed with the next update :V:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:56 pm 

Same here - happens every time I try to search for a second title. The system crashes and I have to reopen Coolector to lookup each title. Attached is the latest of many error and dmp files.

Attachments:
Coollector.xml [5.71 KiB]
Downloaded 327 times
Coollector.dmp [134.06 KiB]
Downloaded 294 times

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:36 pm 

chgoteddy wrote:
Same here - happens every time I try to search for a second title. The system crashes and I have to reopen Coolector to lookup each title.

I think that I have finally fixed all those problems.

Please replace your Coollector.exe with this one:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe

And tell me if you're still able to make it crash.

chgoteddy wrote:
Attached is the latest of many error and dmp files.

Unfortunately I can't get useful information from this crash dump. Only the crash dumps generated by the debug version can be helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:40 am 

may i suggest as "improvement" that our keywords after first search and mouse move/click in different section after returning to be marked as selected? it's obvious that we want a new search and is more easier to clear previous keywords, with some chances to avoid this above mentioned bugs as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:45 am 

Nevergreen wrote:
may i suggest as "improvement" that our keywords after first search and mouse move/click in different section after returning to be marked as selected?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. Could you please say it again.

Nevergreen wrote:
it's obvious that we want a new search and is more easier to clear previous keywords

It's extremely fast to clear the previous keywords: you just have to press the ESC key (from your keyboard, not the ESC icon which is just a hint for the keyboard ESC key) or to keep the ESC key pressed if there are several words to delete.

It's because it's so easy to delete words that I've decided to let the string search remember your search, as this behaviour can be useful in several cases: for example when you select a movie from the string search results, but notice it's not the right movie, and want to try another result without doing the search again.

Nevergreen wrote:
with some chances to avoid this above mentioned bugs as well.
Bugs must be eliminated. We don't negotiate with the terrorists :nono:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:14 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Nevergreen wrote:
may i suggest as "improvement" that our keywords after first search and mouse move/click in different section after returning to be marked as selected?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. Could you please say it again.

let's say exactly as google quick search works under firefox. you put your search term, hit the enter for search and when you select again the quick search "box" (not the big "regular one", your previous search criteria is selected, you can modify it or simply change it, without needing any ESC or additional button.

Attachments:
blank.jpg
blank.jpg [ 85.28 KiB | Viewed 8284 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:36 am 

Nevergreen wrote:
let's say exactly as google quick search works under firefox.

Wow, that's a surprising idea! You probably mean that this search box would appear next to the shortcuts "xxx movies", "xxx rated", "xxx owned", etc... But when the window has its smallest size, there's not enough room there. We even have to drop the numbers from the shortcuts.

Nevergreen wrote:
when you select again the quick search "box" (not the big "regular one", your previous search criteria is selected, you can modify it or simply change it

The search has to display results, which means displaying the search panel. We can't really do a search with just your small box, we need the search panel, so I don't understand how your small box can be any useful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:04 am 

NO, probably i don't explained myself very clear.
from all that Google quick search i only borrowed the "selected text" option.
all your search options remains untouched.

what i mean? you are on the movie search by title and typing for a possible title: "qwerty" and pressing enter bellow are filled all movies including qwerty in their title and i consider search done. after that i browsing trough the result, clicking on few movies to get their details ... than i decide that non is my requested movie and i return to find again. NOW, when i go to find again, can we have this "qwerty" selected? this way we not need to backspace it, ESC-it .... whatever but is already marked and even pressing any letter for new search will change it (or simply i can leave it as it is and add more text) .
exactly as google quick search behavior.

I hope this is a more clearer description.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:14 am 

an even better exemple; because i'm almost sure you use firefox too.
put something to search with quick search there, don't matter the text itself and hit enter to effectively search it, than click again the quick search box and see what happens; your previous text to be searched will be "selected". that's what i mean and see it's behavior.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:33 am 

Nevergreen wrote:
i'm almost sure you use firefox too.

In fact, I use Chrome, but I also have Firefox installed my computer ;)

Nevergreen wrote:
than click again the quick search box and see what happens; your previous text to be searched will be "selected". that's what i mean

Hooray! I've finally understood what you mean by "selected". Now I understand your idea. I will give it some thought to see if it's possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:46 am 

finally we speak common language.
language barrier can lead us to Babel's like situation :) ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:56 am 

I'm not sure it was a language problem. You got me confused with the screenshot of a small text search. I thought you wanted me to add one.