It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help with online backup and Publish
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:59 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Have you checked if the file "Portable.txt" is ready only?

Sometimes it happens without you doing anything.

No, the file is not Read Only. I have checked it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:08 pm 

prasanna3k wrote:
I uploaded the backup sometime back from a faster network and it worked.

A very very slow network could be an explanation, but I think that it's more likely related to the fact that your settings are not remembered.

We'll try to understand the settings problem first, and if we succeed, it'll probably explain the upload problem too.

I will prepare a test program.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:34 pm 

Here is the test program:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Test_Settings.exe

You must copy it to the same location as your current Coollector.exe.

When you'll launch this program, it'll display a message with the location of Portable.txt. Please check that it's the right location.

Then the program will display the settings that it could read from Portable.txt. And finally, when you'll close the program, it'll display the settings that it's trying to write to Portable.txt.

The setting corresponding to the order of the grid from the movie panel (on right) is "order1".
The setting corresponding to the order of the grid from the movie filtered search panel (on left) is "order3".

You could change those orders, and when you'll close the program, see if it tries to save a different value, if that value is actually saved to Portable.txt, if the "date modified" of Portable.txt is changed, etc...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:43 pm 

Where did you install the portable version?

I ask because there are some locations where Windows will restrict the write permission (for example the folder "Program Files").

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:57 pm 

Installed it on a different partition (D:\ Drive) and then copied the folder into my external hard disk and running the program from there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 pm 

prasanna3k wrote:
Installed it on a different partition (D:\ Drive) and then copied the folder into my external hard disk and running the program from there.

Did it solve your problems?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:20 pm 

Hi

Yes. Now the program remembers my last ordered by setting.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

If you do not mind, I have 2 other questions:

1. I would like to maintain this software in 2 different locations - one on my laptop for my use when I am out somewhere and the other on the hard drive itself, so that anyone who uses the hard disk can use the software.

My question is - if I want to keep these 2 in sync, would it be enough if I just copy /tmp/*.cool file between the 2 folders?

2. With the portable directory available on my computer, if I share the program's folder, would it be possible for other network users to access my shared folder, open the program and browse my collection?

Thanks a lot for your support.

PS: If there is a rating system somewhere for your application, please give me a link so that I can give it full marks :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:36 pm 

prasanna3k wrote:
Yes. Now the program remembers my last ordered by setting.

Great! And does publishing work too?

Also, can I ask you where you had installed the program? Why it used to work then stopped working?

prasanna3k wrote:
My question is - if I want to keep these 2 in sync, would it be enough if I just copy /tmp/*.cool file between the 2 folders?

All your personal data is inside the file "MyCoollection.cool" (not inside the folder /tmp/, but next to Coollector.exe and Portable.txt).

prasanna3k wrote:
if I share the program's folder, would it be possible for other network users to access my shared folder, open the program and browse my collection?

Yes, I think it'll work. I know that some users install the program on a network and access it from various computers.

prasanna3k wrote:
PS: If there is a rating system somewhere for your application, please give me a link so that I can give it full marks :)

I'm happy that you like the program so much.

If you want to, I'll appreciate if you write a review on download.com ;)

http://download.cnet.com/Coollector-Movie-Database/3000-2131_4-10630059.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:30 pm 

prasanna3k wrote:
1. I would like to maintain this software in 2 different locations - one on my laptop for my use when I am out somewhere and the other on the hard drive itself, so that anyone who uses the hard disk can use the software.

@Hector

Isn't it possible to use online backup to do this instead of looking for files to copy and paste? Kinda like browser settings from device to device...

It had simply never occurred to me before. My filesystem is a mess and i haven't really been expanding me movie collection recently.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:39 pm 

Hi

During my usage, the online backups were failing.

Rather than using internet to upload and download my collection, I would rather copy a single file from one location to another and keep the collection database up to date in both the locations.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:42 pm 

kakashi wrote:
Isn't it possible to use online backup to do this instead of looking for files to copy and paste? Kinda like browser settings from device to device...

Yes, when we were developping the online backup, I have considered that it could become a way to sync a coollection between several devices. But honestly, I haven't given it much thought, it just just an idea in the back of my mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:46 pm 

prasanna3k wrote:
During my usage, the online backups were failing.

That doesn't really count, as it failed because the program was installed in a location where writting was forbidden.

prasanna3k wrote:
I would rather copy a single file from one location to another and keep the collection database up to date in both the locations.

I understand.

What Kakashi suggested, was to add a sync option to the online backup feature, making this kind of operation really convenient compared to what's possible now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:53 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Also, can I ask you where you had installed the program? Why it used to work then stopped working?

I unzipped and installed it on my laptop's hard disk where it worked fine. After this, I moved the installation folder to my read only NAS, which is when it stopped remembering the settings. I realize now that the program needs to write its settings in the same folder for which it would need write access.

(cool) Hector wrote:
Yes, I think it'll work. I know that some users install the program on a network and access it from various computers.

This feature is not fully working.

I shared the entire Coollector folder and tried to open it from another machine (both running windows xp and on the same network). Initially it failed because of permissions on the shared folder.

However, after giving Full Control permission to everyone, the program opened, loaded the movies and then crashed immediately after.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:09 pm 

There are 2 options:

1) install the normal version of Coollector on each computer, and keep only the coollection file on the network, and launch the coollection file instead of the exe.

2) install the portable version on the network, and launch the exe.

prasanna3k wrote:
However, after giving Full Control permission to everyone, the program opened, loaded the movies and then crashed immediately after.

That's strange...

You haven't removed the file Portable.txt from the folder? You've given execute permission too?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:17 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
There are 2 options

I've just made the test, and both methods work fine with my NAS.

The first method (with the normal version of Coollector) works much faster, but the drawback is that each computer downloads its own copies of the pictures.