It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Crash when adding video file as ownedafter update to v3.26.1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:44 pm 

I took a break from a fairly smooth session of adding movies as owned, to update to v3.26.1. Since then, the program crashes every time I click on the option to "associate a new video file to this movie."

I mention what I was doing because it worked well a moment before the update.

I am using a mid 2011 macbook air OS X Version 10.8.4.

I like the program, but this is not good.

Thanks,

Adam Freeman

Post subject: Re: Crash when adding video file as ownedafter update to v3.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:30 pm 

adamintelaviv wrote:
the program crashes every time I click on the option to "associate a new video file to this movie."

Thank you for reporting this bug.

When you click the "play" icon, does the program crash immediatly, or only after you've selected a file?

Does it happen only to movies that you already own, or also to movies that you don't already own?

What was the location of the last video file that you've added?. Did its path contain a strange character, like an hebrew character?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:19 pm 

Thank you for responding

if I do not already have a file associated with that movie, it crashes immediately when I hit the blue play button.

If I do already have a file or more associated, it opens to show them, but crashes as soon as I proceed to "associate a new video file to this movie". Selecting one of the already associated files will not crash, but will not play the movie. The polay option never worked for me.

The last film I added is located on an external hard disk. No strange characters in the name. This path worked fairly ok with the last version.

"Fairly OK" meaning that the folders I was going to to select the file to be associated were slow to open, and I did find it was best to quit and restart the program between adding files or it would tend to freeze.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:36 pm 

adamintelaviv wrote:
The play option never worked for me.

Normally, when you double-click a file, with what media player does it open?

adamintelaviv wrote:
The last film I added is located on an external hard disk. No strange characters in the name. This path worked fairly ok with the last version.

Please close the program, then go to "~/Movies/Coollector Movie Database/", and rename the file "settings.ini" in to "settings.ini.bak". Now launch Coollector again to see if the crash has gone. If the crash has gone, I want you to send me a copy of that file.

adamintelaviv wrote:
"Fairly OK" meaning that the folders I was going to to select the file to be associated were slow to open, and I did find it was best to quit and restart the program between adding files or it would tend to freeze.

This is weird, but unfortunately I have no explanation. The file choosing dialog is handled by the OS, and I can't change its behaviour. Why don't you use the menu "Tools->Scan my video files" instead?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:00 pm 

Hi,

I do not understand the first question, are you asking about how a movie file opens when I do not open it with Coollector?

I renamed the settings.ini. I still crash. It did change the appearance of the program to smaller images of the films.

I do not use the "scan my video files" on this disk because the database gives me a "filed to open ----- file" message one by one for each video file in the folder. This happened before the update, from day one. The crash when associating files one by one is new.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:03 pm 

It also crashed when I tried to "export this list" of owned video files/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:18 pm 

adamintelaviv wrote:
are you asking about how a movie file opens when I do not open it with Coollector?

Yes, what's the default program that plays your video files when you double-click them?

adamintelaviv wrote:
I renamed the settings.ini. I still crash. It did change the appearance of the program to smaller images of the films.

Ok, you can go back to your previous settings by restoring the original settings.ini.

adamintelaviv wrote:
I do not use the "scan my video files" on this disk because the database gives me a "filed to open ----- file" message one by one for each video file in the folder.

Wow! That's very weird!

adamintelaviv wrote:
It also crashed when I tried to "export this list" of owned video files

Here's the previous version:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Movie_Database3259.zip

Please try it so we can know if all those bugs were introduced by version 3.26.1.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:31 pm 

adamintelaviv wrote:
I do not use the "scan my video files" on this disk because the database gives me a "filed to open ----- file" message one by one for each video file in the folder.

I've just tried with 10.8.4, and I see no problem. Also, I know my code, and what you describe seems impossible. I think there might be a misunderstanding here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:41 pm 

By using 10.8.4, I could indeed reproduce the bug with the play icon, and also the bug when exporting a list (but not the bug with the automatic scanning).

Thank you very much for reporting these bugs that I wasn't aware of (maybe because I'm using 10.7).

Tomorrow I'll have a closer look into all this, to understand and fix those bugs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:46 pm 

I've tested the previous version, and it doesn't have those bugs.

Please use the previous version until I release 3.26.2 in a couple of days.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:56 pm 

The previous version works without crashing.

In bothe versions, when I go to the "Scan your video files" option on the Tools drop down menu and ask the database to scan a folder on the external hard drive with, in this case, 17 videos in it, I will get a message like:

Failed to open "/volumes/public/movies not in database/Luchino Visconti - Rocco e i Suoi Fratelli".
Scanning will skip this directory.

For each and every one of them. (this message above is a "pasted" "copy" of the message I just got.

This did not happen with the hundreds of video files on my Apple Time capsule, which is my other external drive. The problematic drive is linked to the Time Capsule with an Ethernet cable but my conncction with both is via WiFI.

When I double click a video file it opens with VLC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:26 am 

adamintelaviv wrote:
I will get a message like:

Failed to open "/volumes/public/movies not in database/Luchino Visconti - Rocco e i Suoi Fratelli".
Scanning will skip this directory.

Now I understand, and I even know how to fix the problem :V:

Your NAS is connected with AFP, and you must connect it with SAMBA instead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:51 am 

I wish I understood what you are telling me. Could you tell me how to connect with SAMBA?

Thanks again. And, thanks for the database, just what i have wanted since i was about 18!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:55 am 

adamintelaviv wrote:
Could you tell me how to connect with SAMBA?

The address of your NAS must start with "smb://" instead of "afp://".

You should unmount your NAS, then mount it again by pressing "command + K", where you'll edit the address to replace "afp" by "smb".

I don't know if after that your NAS will keep using samba. If not, maybe your NAS has a setting that you can adjust, or maybe it's a MAC OS X setting.

adamintelaviv wrote:
thanks for the database, just what i have wanted since i was about 18!

:w00t:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:00 pm 

adamintelaviv wrote:
I took a break from a fairly smooth session of adding movies as owned, to update to v3.26.1. Since then, the program crashes

From my testings, the problem wasn't introduced by 3.26.1, but it's rather a sandboxing problem. The versions from our website work fine (even 3.26.1), but the sandboxed versions from the Mac App Store have this problem.

Do you confirm that when you've switched to 3.26.1, you've also switched to a Mac App Store version?