It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: language filter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 am 

language filter don't work properly, hungarian language finds 619 results but it's from far with many errors, at least 80% of the results are not hungarian movies. :cry2:

actually other languages are in same situation too
romanian has 41 results with many errors too, and movies like
B.D. în alerta (1970) [0064540].jpg
B.D. în alerta - Profesorul de mimica (1970) [0108043].jpg
B.D. în alerta - Vaduve cu termen redus (1971) [0108044].jpg
B.D. la munte si la mare (1971) [0064671].jpg
are not listed at all under romanian section, even if they are categorized as romanian.

Post subject: Re: language filter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:55 am 

but the good news: at least filter by country seems to work properly even if is not like i should like it.
movie like Eragon was filemd at Budapest/Hungary but is not hungarian movie... but as long IMDB handling it this way i can take it too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:38 am 

Nevergreen wrote:
language filter don't work properly

You wrongly understood what the language filter does. It's about the language of the videos, not the language of the movies (the filters can only use data at their disposal, and our database doesn't have any language information about the movies).

What the language filter does is look at the languages from the existing videos. If you set the filter "owned", it'll look at the languages of your owned videos.

The filtered search says "there are VIDEOS of xxx movies WITH ROMANIAN LANGUAGE". I admit that it's not clear and I maybe should change it into "there are VIDEOS WITH ROMANIAN LANGUAGE for xxx movies", but when you add more filters it can become pretty ugly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:44 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
maybe should change it into "there are VIDEOS WITH ROMANIAN LANGUAGE for xxx movies"

Or maybe "there are xxx movies having existing videos with romanian language".

Any suggestion is welcome ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:11 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
What the language filter does is look at the languages from the existing videos.

You'll also notice that the matching existing videos get listed first.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:27 am 

let's see; as i misunderstood the country filter, possibly to misunderstood the language filter too.

country as i understood is the country where the movie was made and released, but according to iMDB includes also the country where the movie was filmed and this way Eragon was filmed at Budapest/Hungary but is not a hungarian movie. So.

you mentioning the video and movie language as separate things, please clarify this one, what's the difference between them? what you understand by them? for me, both are same and they are the language spoken in the movie.

B.D. în alerta (1970) [0064540].jpg is a totally romanian movie, the spoken language is romanian with not a single word in other language, movie filmed in romania with romanian actors ... all ROMANIAN, but is listed only with the "contry" filter as romanian

ohhh, and something more, i do not crossfiltering now, i only filter by language/country now trough all movies ( not just owned....) so i cannot mess up things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:42 am 

Nevergreen wrote:
country as i understood is the country where the movie was made and released

No, it's the countries that PRODUCED the movie. Many movies are international productions.

Nevergreen wrote:
but according to iMDB includes also the country where the movie was filmed

The countries where the movie is filmed are frequently associated to the production (as they provide filming authorizations, logistics, etc...).

Nevergreen wrote:
you mentioning the video and movie language as separate things, please clarify this one, what's the difference between them?

I don't know in what language a movie was shot. I don't have access to that information (it's very frequent for movies to be shot in English, even if it's a french movie for example). The only information I do have is the language of the DVDs.

Nevergreen wrote:
for me, both are same and they are the language spoken in the movie.

And for me it's quite different. On one side, there's an information that I have. And on the other side, there's an information that I don't have. I'm not a magician. I just apply filters to a database.

Nevergreen wrote:
B.D. în alerta (1970) [0064540].jpg is a totally romanian movie

Our database doesn't have any existing video for that movie. No video => no language information.

Nevergreen wrote:
ohhh, and something more, i do not crossfiltering now, i only filter by language/country now trough all movies ( not just owned....) so i cannot mess up things.

Sorry, but you're messing up things :doh:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:54 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Nevergreen wrote:
you mentioning the video and movie language as separate things, please clarify this one, what's the difference between them?

I don't know in what language a movie was shot. I don't have access to that information (it's very frequent for movies to be shot in English, even if it's a french movie for example). The only information I do have is the language of the DVDs.

DVDs language? do you mean if a DVD has AUDIO for other language as the original shooting language, you will consider them as the video language and will be included in filtering? sorry, but this is very wrong.

how do i messing things up with only one filtering criteria? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 am 

Nevergreen wrote:
DVDs language? do you mean if a DVD has AUDIO for other language as the original shooting language

Yes, a DVD has one or several sound tracks, and the original shooting language isn't always included.

Nevergreen wrote:
you will consider them as the video language and will be included in filtering?

Yes, the language filter is all about the language of the videos, not the original shooting language. It can be useful if you speak only English and you want a video in that language, or if you want to learn Spanish by watching a video.

Nevergreen wrote:
sorry, but this is very wrong.

Oh great :roll:

Nevergreen wrote:
how do i messing things up with only one filtering criteria? :shock:

You're messing up when you interpret things wrongly. Where do Coollector show the original language of a movie? Nowhere! That information isn't in the database. So how could a filter find data that is not there? Great for you if you live in a world of miracles and fearies, but personally I live in a world of realities.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:20 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Where do Coollector show the original language of a movie? Nowhere! That information isn't in the database. So how could a filter find data that is not there? Great for you if you live in a world of miracles and fearies, but personally I live in a world of harcore data.

the only thing it interest me under language section is the: original language of a movie,we don't have any source for information of this kind?

if i'm not wrong imdb own such informations, or at least i filled this kind of details in my requests there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:33 am 

Nevergreen wrote:
the only thing it interest me under language section is the: original language of a movie

Our database doesn't have that information, and it'll never have it. I don't plan to include that information because I don't think that information is interesting enough. Most french movies are shot in French, most italian movies are shot in Italian, etc... Who cares? Even if a french movie was shot in English, who cares? Is it worth loading our interface with that kind of details? Sorry, but I don't think so. What really matters is the language of the video that you're about to watch.

Nevergreen wrote:
we don't have any source for information of this kind?

if i'm not wrong imdb own such informations

Yes, the IMDb has this information, but not our database, and as I said, I don't plan to change that.

For your information, many other filters are related to the videos, not the movies:
- subtitles
- sound
- edition
- details
- studio
- packed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:48 am 

i'm more and more convinced that i started to annoy you but i keep continuing it.
sorry to hear that such kind of information is not interesting and valuable to you but for me is more valuable than a movie spoken in foreign language compared to how it was originally made.

i grew up with movies spoken in original language and not dubbed in foreign languages, this way i learned my spoken and written english (even if it's at basic level) and i'm very angry when my little girl seeing cartoons dubbed in any other language but as the original. Sadly nowadays TV's cultivate us in this direction.

you want a very good example why original language is more valuable, and i'm sure others appreciate it too: movie Terminator with Arnold Schwarzenegger has a very used quote: "Hasta la vista, baby", can you imagine Arnold saying this in chinese? and still consider it valuable? i doubt it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:57 am 

The IMDb has many information that we don't have. You have to click the IMDb icon to access that data.

The IMDb is a reference website. Coollector is a tool app that provides a different service.

It'd be awful if we tried to cram too many information in our interface. We have to make choices. We choose what makes Coollector a useful tool, we discard the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:04 pm 

Nevergreen wrote:
for me is more valuable than a movie spoken in foreign language compared to how it was originally made.

i grew up with movies spoken in original language and not dubbed in foreign languages, this way i learned my spoken and written english (even if it's at basic level) and i'm very angry when my little girl seeing cartoons dubbed in any other language but as the original. Sadly nowadays TV's cultivate us in this direction.

you want a very good example why original language is more valuable, and i'm sure others appreciate it too: movie Terminator with Arnold Schwarzenegger has a very used quote: "Hasta la vista, baby", can you imagine Arnold saying this in chinese? and still consider it valuable? i doubt it.

Very few persons care about the original language as much as you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:57 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Our database doesn't have that information, and it'll never have it.

Frankly, for 99.9% of the movies, it'd be ridiculous to display that information.

Imagine... "Italy | Italian", "France | French", "USA | English", "UK | English", etc...