It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Coollector version 4 - Beta testing has begun!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:02 pm 

Coollector Movie Database version 4 will be released very soon.

Version 4 is a free upgrade for the owners of version 3.

This new version introduces a great new feature that took me months to develop: MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS.

As you rate movies, the program will analyze your taste and predict how much you'll like movies that you haven't seen/rated yet. The filtered search can list all those predictions from the most recommended movie to the least recommended one.

The program interface doesn't change a lot. A new shortcut "Predicted" has been placed between "Rated" and "Owned". The rating filter now includes the value "predicted". And last but not least, a new menu "Tools->Play the prediction game" has been added.

What? A game? Yep, it's quite fun to play, but it's much more than a game. As you'll discover, the prediction game understands you interests, and it'll be an awesome guide to quickly locate the films that you've seen but haven't rated yet, and get more predictions.
More than ever, Coollector will help you to find your way through the jungle of movies :excited:

Please use this forum to send in your impressions, and report all the bugs that you may discover. Your feedback will be much appreciated!

UPDATE: the beta n°4 is available here:
http://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1232&p=10805#p10805

Post subject: Re: Coollector version 4 - Beta testing has begun!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:11 am 

Downloading 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:41 pm 

Here is the second beta, that fixes a couple of bugs.

WINDOWS:
http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_beta2.zip
Extract the zip next to Coollector.exe version 3.26.7, and run Coollector_beta2.exe from there.

MAC:
http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Movie_Database_beta2.zip
You can run it from anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:55 pm 

I'm doing a bit of testing before work.

It predicted that I'd think Tinker Bell is 'Very Good'.
I actually think it is 'Very Good +' ;)
Nice recommendation Hector. I think I'll spend some time this evening rating movies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:53 pm 

kakashi wrote:
It predicted that I'd think Tinker Bell is 'Very Good'.
I actually think it is 'Very Good +' ;)

:D Our rating scale is insanely accurate, so please allow the prediction engine some margin of error. ;)

For the moment, the prediction engine is only grossly tuned. There are many parameters that I can play with, and that's what I'll do during the next days. I have no idea how much accuracy I can gain, but I've created a control tool that will greatly help me to make the fine tunings. I give the tool a coollection, and it automatically plays the prediction game with the ratings from the coollection.

Also, the predictions should improve over time, when more users will use the "online backup and publish" feature to upload their coollections to our server. For the moment, I'm afraid the dataset that I'm using is a bit too small...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:19 pm 

Does the prediction game recommend movies you own but haven't rated first?

If you haven't watched it then you'll know you should. If you've already watched it then prediction becomes more accurate since more ratings are added. This also encourages people like me to rate more movies.

*I still haven't used the prediction feature much yet so my understanding of how it functions might be a bit limited. It is entirely possible even that this already happens and I'm not noticing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:28 pm 

kakashi wrote:
Does the prediction game recommend movies you own but haven't rated first?

You're absolutely right. I wanted to do that, and then I've completely forgotten about it. Thank you very much for reminding me!

The prediction game should be as clever as possible. It should suggest in priority the movies that you own but haven't rated, and it should not suggest the movies that you wish.

For the moment, the game is only clever enough to not suggest again the movies that you said you haven't seen (next!).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:49 pm 

Here is the third beta...

WINDOWS:
http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_beta3.zip
Extract the zip next to Coollector.exe version 3.26.7, and run Coollector_beta3.exe from there.

OS X 10.7 or later:
http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Movie_Database_beta3.zip

OS X Snow Leopard:
http://www.coollector.com/SL_Coollector_Movie_Database_beta3.zip

With this version, the prediction game will suggest in priority the movies that you own, and it won't suggest any movies that you wish (thank you Kakashi).

A user with more than 4,000 rated movies has reported that updating the predictions takes several minutes with such a great number of rated movies. To avoid that the program takes several minutes to close completely, any prediction update is now cancelled as soon as you close the program.

The automatic prediction updates can be irritating when you have thousands of rated movies. You can now enable/disable the automatic prediction updates by pressing Control + P on Windows, or Command + P on Mac.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:45 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
The automatic prediction updates can be irritating when you have thousands of rated movies. You can now enable/disable the automatic prediction updates by pressing Control + P on Windows, or Command + P on Mac.

I'm hoping that once prediction is fully optimized it will run so fast that you won't even need that option anymore. (Like file location filters) 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:49 am 

kakashi wrote:
I'm hoping that once prediction is fully optimized it will run so fast that you won't even need that option anymore.

It's already fully optimized. Quite a lot of computation is needed to analyze your taste and find other users with similar taste. The more ratings, the longer the computation. I can't think of any trick that I could apply to make it run faster.

But all this computation is done in the background, in a separate thread. Even if it takes several seconds, or even minutes, the program isn't locked and keeps working normally. Only your CPU is showing some activity. It's certainly not a show-stopper, but I understand that it could turn to be irritating when you've rated a huge number of movies. That's why I've added this option to turn off the automatic update of the predictions. But in the end, very very few users will need and use that option.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:42 am 

Here is the fourth beta...

WINDOWS:
http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_beta4.zip
Extract the zip next to Coollector.exe version 3.26.7, and run Coollector_beta4.exe from there.

OS X 10.7 or later:
http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Movie_Database_beta4.zip

OS X Snow Leopard:
http://www.coollector.com/SL_Coollector_Movie_Database_beta4.zip

This version fixes a couple a bugs, and makes slightly better predictions. The movie panel now displays a number below the crystal ball icon. The export feature now exports the predicted rating. On startup, a message asks the user to be patient if a calculation is going on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:54 am 

just a first impression, but all was mentioned before me.
* from over 3k movies i have rated like 10% and when i start the program is a bit irritating the pop-up windows to rate the rest of 90%
* if i skip the first step, and i go to the predicted tabs, i found especially movies that i own but not rated yet and as far as i can confirm it, it's follow my taste. Great work Hector.

i'm still caught with some other problems, but if i find any bugs i'll yell as usual

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:17 am 

Nevergreen wrote:
as far as i can confirm it, it's follow my taste. Great work Hector.

:V:
Ditto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:36 am 

Will the prediction feature eventually realize that i don't give very high ratings to very old movies?

I will occasionally watch and even go crazy over movies like Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, or The Breakfast Club, but those movies are the type of movies i only watch on special occasions when i feel for some good ol' fashioned cinema and i don't have many favorites that are older than those.

- On second thought its probably my bad for feeling nostalgic and over-rating jungle book, E.T., and The good the bad and the ugly. :(

Also a friend of mine apparently only watches blockbusters. Would the prediction feature eventually pick up on this. I think it's a very interesting case. Good marketing does not a good movie make.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:14 am 

Nevergreen wrote:
when i start the program is a bit irritating the pop-up windows to rate the rest of 90%

It seems like a bug. The prediction game is supposed to pop up only once, the very first time you use the program with the predictions. After that, a flag is set to not display it again.

What version are you using? OSX? Windows? Portable?

Nevergreen wrote:
as far as i can confirm it, it's follow my taste. Great work Hector.

Cool! Thank you very much for the feedback!