It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Coollector version 4 - Beta testing has begun!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:43 am 

kakashi wrote:
Will the prediction feature eventually realize that i don't give very high ratings to very old movies?

If you get predictions for old movies, it's because you've showed some interest and rated several old movies. If you don't give high ratings to old movies, then the feature will probably make less predictions for old movies. I'm like you, I rarely watch old movies, but if I pick one of the most recommended old movies, I know that I'll have a good surprise. The day that I'm in the mood, I'll pick the most recommended one. For example, I'm highly recommended to watch some Kurosawa movies. I have seen those movies when I was young, and indeed I liked them a lot. Now I'll watch them again as soon as they'll show on TV. It's thanks to the prediction feature, because I wouldn't have done it otherwise!

The prediction feature is an eye-opener that'll make you consider movies that you wouldn't have considered without it. Another example: I thought it was a bug to suggest me to watch the series "The Tick" (bug... tick...). I had never heard of it, and it didn't look like the kind of series I'd watch. I watched some trailers on Youtube, and I confess that I'm interested.

kakashi wrote:
I will occasionally watch and even go crazy over movies like Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, or The Breakfast Club, but those movies are the type of movies i only watch on special occasions when i feel for some good ol' fashioned cinema and i don't have many favorites that are older than those.

Yes, you'll pick movies according to your mood, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to remove some movies from the list. Like me with Kurosawa movies, you'll now be more inclined to watch those movies some day, and you won't regret it. You're taken out of your comfort zone, but it's for your own good :yes:

kakashi wrote:
over-rating jungle book, E.T., and The good the bad and the ugly. :(

What bullshit is this? How could you over-rate The good the bad and the ugly? Of course it deserves the highest rating!!!

kakashi wrote:
Good marketing does not a good movie make.

Yoda, get out of this body!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:50 am 

In a few weeks, I'll make the test to pay more attention to the oldness of the movies, to see if the predictions can be improved. I'm not convinced that they'll be, but thank you for the suggestion!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:54 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
kakashi wrote:
Good marketing does not a good movie make.

Yoda, get out of this body!

:rofl:

(cool) Hector wrote:
In a few weeks, I'll make the test to pay more attention to the oldness of the movies, to see if the predictions are improved. I'm not convinced that they'll be, but thank you for the suggestion!

I was more curiosity than anything else. While posting i noticed that i had indeed rated those three old movies but i decided to post anyway to satisfy my thirst for knowledge. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:04 am 

kakashi wrote:
i decided to post anyway to satisfy my thirst for knowledge. :roll:

Cheers! :D

Seriously, it was a good suggestion. The current prediction engine doesn't pay attention to the oldness of the movies, and maybe it could help if it did...