It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Deleting movies that show as OWNED (using pane on right)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:50 pm 

Ok,

So, with all that other stuff being left behind from our previous threads. I have found this little bit of minutia. Not a big deal at all but I just wanted to bring it to your attention. Please consider the END USER point of view is different than from the programmer point of view. :D

Please see the enclosed screen capture for reference.

When I go to delete a file that isn't matched properly, I click on (arrow 1).

Then the window with the path/file name pops up (which is good!) but immediately the other window asking to confirm deletion pops up directly over the other window before I've had time to review the path/file name. It's not serious, but it looks messy when it happens, and it makes user have to move the other (confirmation window Arrow 2) window to see the path/file name. I can think of no other application that shows the "confirmation box" before the user presses delete (in this case "removed from owned"). It's always the other way. 1) User hits delete, 2) App asks user to confirm.

Again, not a big issue but I just thought I would bring it to your attention.

Additionally, when you mouse over where (arrow 1) is pointing, it states you can "add" files/dvds to owned. Shouldn't that mouse over be on the "add/+ symbol" right above? Then perhaps the mouse over on the "-" symbol could be a note about deleting in different ways as you've explained to me in prior posts inside of a similar box?

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 8.55.12 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 8.55.12 AM.jpg [ 297.53 KiB | Viewed 6068 times ]

Last edited by Movie Collector Pro on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Deleting movies that show as OWNED (using pane on right)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:02 pm 

Movie Collector Pro wrote:
Additionally, when you mouse over where (arrow 1) is pointing, it states you can "add" files/dvds to owned. Shouldn't that mouse over be on the "add/+ symbol" right above?

On my Windows system, the tooltip says "Click to remove a video", which is fine.

Could you please try again? Maybe there was a temporary glitch.

I'm sorry I can't test on my Mac right now. I'm upgrading to Mavericks ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:09 pm 

Then the window with the path/file name pops up (which is good!) but immediately the other window asking to confirm deletion pops up directly over the other window before I've had time to review the path/file name.

When you click the DEL button, the program makes appear the video windows, clicks the button "Remove from owned" in your place, and asks for confirmation. If you own several videos of that movie, the program will repeat the operation for each video.

If you want to click the button "Remove from owned" yourself, click the video instead of clicking the DEL button. The video box displays the location of the file, so it's easy for you to click the right video.

I can think of no other application that shows the "confirmation box" before the user presses delete (in this case "removed from owned").

You've just pressed the DEL button, haven't you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 pm 

If I were you, I'd use the batch remove feature. I know you told me there's a Mavericks bug that prevents you from viewing all the results. But if you choose the string carefully, you'll delete only the files that you wanted to delete. Even if you delete all your file associations, it'll be easy to make another scan (don't forget to place in a different folder the files that you don't want to be scanned).

About the Mavericks bug, I'm not really sure that it's a bug... Since Mountain Lion, Apple hides the scrollbars and they appear only when you need them. I think there's a system settng to change that behaviour. Did you try to scroll with your touchpad or mouse wheel, even if the scrollbar wasn't shown?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:30 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
If I were you, I'd use the batch remove feature. I know you told me there's a Mavericks bug that prevents you from viewing all the results. But if you choose the string carefully, you'll delete only the files that you wanted to delete. Even if you delete all your file associations, it'll be easy to make another scan (don't forget to place in a different folder the files that you don't want to be scanned).

About the Mavericks bug, I'm not really sure that it's a bug... Since Mountain Lion, Apple hides the scrollbars and they appear only when you need them. I think there's a system settng to change that behaviour. Did you try to scroll with your touchpad or mouse wheel, even if the scrollbar wasn't shown?

If you're talking about the window I showed you in the screen capture which showed the file paths it was going to delete with the "checked" boxes......Yes. I tried all of the above. I'm not your average monkey. :rofl: For the string I only used a small portion of what it listed "italia/itialian" is what I put in the box FYI. Either way, the batch delete worked well.

You are exactly correct. I used the batch delete and it worked perfectly! So thank you for that. However, I fear that some users are not smart enough to know what a "string or path" are? As a programmer that probably seems silly to you, but remember not everyone is a programming guru like you :V: :whistle: 8)

Last edited by Movie Collector Pro on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:32 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Then the window with the path/file name pops up (which is good!) but immediately the other window asking to confirm deletion pops up directly over the other window before I've had time to review the path/file name.

When you click the DEL button, the program makes appear the video windows, clicks the button "Remove from owned" in your place, and asks for confirmation. If you own several videos of that movie, the program will repeat the operation for each video.

If you want to click the button "Remove from owned" yourself, click the video instead of clicking the DEL button. The video box displays the location of the file, so it's easy for you to click the right video.

I can think of no other application that shows the "confirmation box" before the user presses delete (in this case "removed from owned").

You've just pressed the DEL button, haven't you?

Yes I did, however, when the path window pops up for me to review the path, the confirmation window pops up directly over it instantly. Appearance wise, it could be done a bit better I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:44 pm 

when the path window pops up for me to review the path, the confirmation window pops up directly over it instantly.

It's not a path window, it's a window that displays all the video technical details. In the case of a video file, there's mostly the path information, but in a case of a DVD, there can be much more information.

Appearance wise, it could be done a bit better I think.

Sorry, I don't see how. As I said, if you prefer to review the video technical details and then press the "remove from owned" button, you just have to click the video instead of clicking the DEL button.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:47 pm 

The DEL button is useful for the new users who don't know how to delete a video. If they click the DEL button and the technical details appear, they won't notice the "remove from owned" at the buttom right. They won't understand that they have to click it. Maybe they'll do something else. And in the case there are several videos to delete, it just won't work.