It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Austria. Some requests/suggestions (Macbook
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:21 pm 

Movie Collector Pro wrote:
What if a user wants to search only the movies he/she owns?

I have a proposition that you might like... What if I add a toggle to the title search (and the title search only)? Every time you'd search a word, the whole database would be searched, but if you clicked the toggle, all the results that you don't own would disappear. This would make it even more convenient to locate a movie that you own. And to reduce the confusion, if you're new to the program and didn't add anything yet, the toggle wouldn't even be shown.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:50 pm 

Attachment:
toggle.png
toggle.png [ 145.09 KiB | Viewed 7070 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:11 pm 

I'm not sure if it's Mavericks that has changed something but when I click on the IMDB logo/link of movies I want to learn more about the Safari browser either locks up or just shows a plain white page and locks all the buttons so we can't do anything but force close the window.

I've made the test with Mavericks and the Mac App Store, and everything works fine on my computer, so it's not a Mavericks issue. If other users have the same issue, I'll appreciate that they report to me.

Does it happen only with the IMDb link? Could you please try with the link to our forum, by clicking the menu
"Help->Support forum".

I may have found another bug. If you look at the screen capture where I tried to do a batch delete, you can see the box with the found files. I can only check or uncheck the strings that I can see in the window. I can't scroll the window with the mouse or hot keys or the arrows on my Mac using Mavericks.

On my computer, the scrollbar is displayed fine. But I tried with only a few dozen files. From your screenshot, I can see that you tried with 1098 files. Maybe the system needs time to fill the message window with 1098 checkbox controls. Maybe up to several minutes. Could you please try again, this time with a string that returns a more limited number of results.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:35 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I have a proposition that you might like...
I've nearly finished it, and it's terribly effective! Thanks for the brainstorming :V:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:23 pm 

:w00t: Did someone just say candy? :w00t:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:55 pm 

Trick or treat?

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:57 am 

It automatically unchecks itself so less savvy users don't accidentally have it on and think that search results are erroneous?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:56 am 

It's not about savvy or less savvy users.

My main reason for this choice was technical... Because of the indexing, searching the whole database (indexed) is faster than searching your owned movies (not indexed). The string search is highly complex (filling the grid and the word input), and I'm glad that I didn't have to write a new string search especially for the owned movies. I simply filter the results when the user clicks a checkbox, and I avoid the headache of writing a new, slow, unindexed string search.

But I also like the fact that we don't have to remember if we're working with the whole database or just our owned movies. In most cases, the string search leads directly to the movie we want, and there's no reason to click the checkbox. Only when we realize that the movie will be tricky to locate, we play our joker, and here we have it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:05 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I simply filter the results when the user clicks a checkbox, and I avoid the headache of writing a new, slow, unindexed string search.

By writing it, I realize that I wouldn't have found a method faster than using the current string search, then filtering the result.

Thus my technical argument wasn't valid, and I could have chosen to not automatically uncheck.

Anyway, I still like the way it works. Would you have chosen the other option?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:20 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Anyway, I still like the way it works.

I think it avoids the frustration of making a string search without realizing that the checkbox is checked. It's always safe to search the whole database, and if you have problems locating the movie, then you'll think about using the checkbox.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:37 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I realize that I wouldn't have found a method faster than using the current string search, then filtering the result.

Thus my technical argument wasn't valid

Oops, I'm tired, and I'm saying nonsense :doh:

The string search would suggest words that don't match your owned movies, and it'd be very weird...

The technical argument is quite valid!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:16 am 

I am also tired and that's probably why i can't understand much of your last post.
(cool) Hector wrote:
I think it avoids the frustration of making a string search without realizing that the checkbox is checked. It's always safe to search the whole database, and if you have problems locating the movie, then you'll think about using the checkbox.

That is exactly what i meant. This is what i assumed when I realized it was unchecked each time i searched irregardless of the state it was last in.
(cool) Hector wrote:
I simply filter the results when the user clicks a checkbox, and I avoid the headache of writing a new, slow, unindexed string search.

I had assumed as much from the start. There's no way I'd expect you to do so much for such a small benefit. Your string search already feels like it operates instantly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:14 am 

kakashi wrote:
I am also tired and that's probably why i can't understand much of your last post.

To list alphabetically the results and all the possible next words that match your owned titles, I'd have to write some complex code.

kakashi wrote:
Your string search already feels like it operates instantly.

With a large coollection, it'd certainly be slow. Especially at the beginning of the search, when there are hundreds of results and hundreds of next words.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:53 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
What if a user wants to search only the movies he/she owns?

I have a proposition that you might like... What if I add a toggle to the title search (and the title search only)? Every time you'd search a word, the whole database would be searched, but if you clicked the toggle, all the results that you don't own would disappear. This would make it even more convenient to locate a movie that you own. And to reduce the confusion, if you're new to the program and didn't add anything yet, the toggle wouldn't even be shown.

What do you think?

Sorry for the delay...... and I haven't read the posts below this, but.

ANY OPTION where you give the user more control over what is searched is CERTAINLY a plus. I think your proposition is looking in the right direction.

EDIT: I think I mis-read your post. I think what you're saying is a pretty good proposition! I feel like an ass for mis reading.

Last edited by Movie Collector Pro on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:55 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I'm not sure if it's Mavericks that has changed something but when I click on the IMDB logo/link of movies I want to learn more about the Safari browser either locks up or just shows a plain white page and locks all the buttons so we can't do anything but force close the window.

I've made the test with Mavericks and the Mac App Store, and everything works fine on my computer, so it's not a Mavericks issue. If other users have the same issue, I'll appreciate that they report to me.

Does it happen only with the IMDb link? Could you please try with the link to our forum, by clicking the menu
"Help->Support forum".

I may have found another bug. If you look at the screen capture where I tried to do a batch delete, you can see the box with the found files. I can only check or uncheck the strings that I can see in the window. I can't scroll the window with the mouse or hot keys or the arrows on my Mac using Mavericks.

On my computer, the scrollbar is displayed fine. But I tried with only a few dozen files. From your screenshot, I can see that you tried with 1098 files. Maybe the system needs time to fill the message window with 1098 checkbox controls. Maybe up to several minutes. Could you please try again, this time with a string that returns a more limited number of results.

Ok, I will try again. Stand by....give me until later today. Which of course is probably your morning anyway. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next