It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Movie Title Search - Font Problem
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:29 pm 

Quote:
Could be used for anything that needs to be done on batches of movies (e.g. batch tagging

For the batch tagging, I'd rather see another keyboard shortcut. We already have a shortcut to tag the current movie. I will add a new shortcut to modify a tag globally. I could also add a shortcut to add the last tag to the current movie. Neat, isn't it?

Quote:
editing movies/info

With Coollector, you can't edit movie info, only video info.

Quote:
creating view lists

View lists? What do you mean exactly? Can't it be done with the tags? Especially when I'll have added a way to quickly remove a temporary tag?

Quote:
Depending on the active tab I'd put it below the string search box

There's no room below the string search box. It's all taken by the list of possible words.

Quote:
left of the <add/remove filters> button

Sorry, this place is reserved, as I plan to add a new button to store your customized combinations of filters.

Quote:
I like the idea of a framed field with a different shade of gray (or whatever color the individual background has) containing a stylized basket with (or without) DVD covers. One would just have to make sure that the basket does not look like a waste bin, rather like a fruit or laundry basket. Of course you'd need a way of displaying the movies in the movie basket. You could e.g. show them when the movie basket (the framed field) is left-clicked.

What you describe is particularly ambitious and a lot of work. I'll be honest with you, there's little chance that it'll ever happen. But thanks for the suggestion, it's great to brainstorm with you. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:32 pm 

Quote:
For the batch tagging, I'd rather see another keyboard shortcut. We already have a shortcut to tag the current movie. I will add a new shortcut to modify a tag globally. I could also add a shortcut to add the last tag to the current movie. Neat, isn't it?

Quote:
What you describe is particularly ambitious and a lot of work. I'll be honest with you, there's little chance that it'll ever happen.

The main reason that I proposed this movie basket was that I think using tags for the purpose of creating a custom list is only the second best solution. Of course adding all those shortcuts, particularly the one allowing you to directly assign the last tag to any other movie, will make tags come close to "my" movie basket in terms of usability. Still, I think it's only second best - no offence. To me the optimal, because more intuitive, solution would be something along the lines of a "movie basket" in combination with "drag and drop" and e.g. a drop zone.
Having said all this, I nonetheless can fully understand and accept that you say this idea does not fit your concept of the UI. In any way, I'm glad if I could be of help. I know, creating and - more importantly - maintaining such a project is quite demanding.

Quote:
With Coollector, you can't edit movie info, only video info.

Ok, that's what I meant. You're right, stick to the proper terminology ;).

Quote:
View lists? What do you mean exactly? Can't it be done with the tags? Especially when I'll have added a way to quickly remove a temporary tag?

Same as above. It for sure can be done with tags. I think it is just faster and more intuitive with the movie basket, also since you wouldn't have to memorize shortcuts. But as said before, I understand that this is a design decision that would affect the whole UI concept. ;)

Happy new year btw.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:39 pm 

Here's my bit:
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 895.26 KiB | Viewed 9107 times ]

- Add a new tab to serve as the drop basket...
- Drag the posters for movies or videos to the tab to add them to the list
- Probably also drag and drop entire movie or videos box to add all their contents at once
- On that tab show the created list and all batch options such as add/remove tag, rename, delete, change language, change location, and anything else you decide could benefit form a 'checkbox' type system.

---

As for the incorrect font size could it be something similar to windows automatically scaling fonts to 125% on really hi res screens?
Attachment:
2.PNG
2.PNG [ 218.18 KiB | Viewed 9107 times ]

---

Finally back from the land of wood, water, sunshine, and no internet...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:34 pm 

Hi Kakashi, thanks for brainstorming with us!

So what's your opinion? Do you think that all this is worth the effort? Maybe it'll sip into me, but for the moment I'm skeptical. My guts tell me that it's clumsy to make the interface so complex for such an advanced feature that I don't even imagine using myself. I think the interface should show only the essentials, and the extras should be hidden. I even think that it's better to discard a functionality completely if it's too costly for the interface. Simplicity is a virtue :roll:

kakashi wrote:
As for the incorrect font size could it be something similar to windows automatically scaling fonts to 125% on really hi res screens?

I don't know yet, I still haven't inspected my code to see what's different about this control compared to the other controls like the filter combos...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:31 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
So what's your opinion? Do you think that all this is worth the effort?

For the tab idea, I'd say just make a sketch of the batch selection tab and the controls you'd add (if you like that interface idea). There are quite a few things that batch selection would improve. If you keep adding the things you think are relevant to the tab (language etc.) and develop with this in mind then eventually you might decide to make it a powerful new feature.

At this point though I don't think it would be worthwile unless you make full use of all the benefits you would get from batch selection. You already have so many cool new stuff to add.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:46 am 

Quote:
I don't think so. I rather think it's related to the Macbook Retina feature that everything shown with the doubled resolution. That while the size of icon, window elements, text etc. on thescreen remains the same. They are shown with the exact double resolution (e.g. the 1440 x 900 resolution internally is handled as 2880 x 1800, which is the native resolution of the 15" Macbook Pro display). That also means, that everything has to be scaled to the higher resolution. I think somewhere the scaling of the text in the string boxes went wrong because
a) the size of the enlarged text is proportional to the text size set in the skin editor. Changing the sze There proportionally changes the size of the enlarged text.
b) The enlarged text is blurrier then the text with the correct size. I see this as an indication that scaling is happening.

For some reason the text appears to be scaled properly first and is then "bitmap-like" upscaled again, leading to the double-size blurry text (see pic below).

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 11.47.56 _ cropped.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 11.47.56 _ cropped.png [ 583.49 KiB | Viewed 9101 times ]

Interestingly, while the text in the string search box, before it is enlarged, is sharp as it should be (seems to be a system font and/or handled by system routines), the text in the drop down list, although having the correct size is also blurry (see pic below). Somehow it appears to me that the textbox itself uses a system drawing routine when displaying the typed text and then a second routine kicks in which redraws the text. Seems that's where the problem lies. My guess is, that the drawing of the drop-down-list relies only on the second routine. That's why the text is slightly blurry but has the correct size.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 10.13.43 _ cropped.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 10.13.43 _ cropped.png [ 926.97 KiB | Viewed 9101 times ]

Last edited by torkel on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:59 am 

kakashi wrote:
If you keep adding the things you think are relevant to the tab (language etc.)

That's my problem. I don't see many cases where batch selecting is useful. In the case of the language, my changes to the scanning feature will make it almost impossible to mistakenly set a wrong language.

Why change the interface when we can implement batch selecting with keyboard shortcuts that only the advanced users (the only ones who'll use that feature) would know.

If I'm new to Coollector, the more complex the interface looks like, the more likely I am to move on to another program. If I see a batch selecting tab and I don't have the slightest idea what the hell it could mean, I'll probably be turned off.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:59 am 

You Sir, have spoken words of wisdom. :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:02 am 

torkel wrote:
I rather think it's related to the Macbook Retina feature that everything shown with the doubled resolution.

I think the same.

The filter combos don't have any problem, though they are almost identical to the text input. I draw them both entirely myself. I need to compare the code of each one to spot the difference. Sorry I haven't done it yet. Today was unboxing day ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:04 am 

So you don't think it is worthwhile right now...

Maybe one day it will be... Maybe not...

Personally I'm hoping that you will someday improve on the idea to create something cool new, and interesting. If not, then your reasons are quite understandable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:19 am 

kakashi wrote:
Maybe one day it will be... Maybe not...
Sometimes I don't like an idea and then... I change my mind. :doh: It has already happened, it'll happen again!

As you said, I already have a long list of cool features which I'm 100% sure I want to add. Until then, who knows what'll happen in my disturbed mind?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:05 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I need to compare the code of each one to spot the difference.

Unfortunately, I didn't spot anything in my code.

Let's try to track this bug... Please tell me if the font size is right or wrong when:

1) you open the program and click the "string search" tab.

2) you input the first letter.

3) you input the first word.

4) you delete the last letter with the DEL key.

5 ) you deleted the last word with the ESC key.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:58 pm 

This is a screen recording of the bug

Rename the files extension as written in the file comments otherwise you get an error extracting. Didn't let me upload the files with correct file extension. Make sure to download all 4 files (4th file in following post).

What you see in the screen recording :

After I started the program I

1) selected the tab "Movie Title Search"
2) moved the mouse over the text box and out again for a couple of times (without clicking)
3) entered the first letter ("b") of the search string
4) entered the first word of the search string ("beautiful")
5) added a <space>
6) entered the second word of the search string ("beast")
7) deleted the last letter ("t") with <DEL>
8) deleted the whole search string with <ESC>

Attachments:
File comment: rename to Coollector Retina.mov.zip.003
Coollector Retina.mov.003.zip [2.86 MiB]
Downloaded 321 times
File comment: rename to Coollector Retina.mov.zip.002
Coollector Retina.mov.002.zip [2.86 MiB]
Downloaded 322 times
File comment: rename to Coollector Retina.mov.zip.001
Coollector Retina.mov.001.zip [2.86 MiB]
Downloaded 307 times

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:58 pm 

4th zip file

Attachments:
File comment: rename to Coollector Retina.mov.zip.004
Coollector Retina.mov.004.zip [244.26 KiB]
Downloaded 359 times

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:47 pm 

Thank you very much for your time. Unfortunately, I can't unzip any of your file, I don't know what's happening :(