It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: how to send my database that is on one computer to another
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:46 am 

I have two different computers and i would like to know how to transfer my data of my owned list to the other computer. I have tried the download data from online and have come up with nothing that shows my list i have on other computer.

Post subject: Re: how to send my database that is on one computer to anoth
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:31 am 

All your personal data is stored inside a file called the coollection file:

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

You have to replace the coollection file from one computer with the coollection file from the other computer. You can easily locate a coollection file with the menu "Help->Locate my coollection file".

When you've downloaded the data from online, you've downloaded a zip containing the last 10 automatic backups of your coollection file. It's normal that nothing happened. It was up to you to take one of those backups and replace your current coollection file with it (replace = give the backup the same name and the same location).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:30 am 

How about a way to replace the current coollection file with the latest online backup? 8)
(single click of course)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:47 am 

kakashi wrote:
How about a way to replace the current coollection file with the latest online backup? 8)
(single click of course)

Thank you for the suggestion but:

1) I won't make the interface more complex for a feature that very few users will ever use.

2) I prefer that manipulating the coollection files is reserved to the users who fully understand what they're doing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:27 am 

:yes:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 pm 

Love this program! I have a home network with multiple computers. I would love to be able to update a single database file but access that database file from my other computers.

Can the default location of the Coolector data file be put into a configuration file so it can be changed by the installer, if desired? The database file could be locked while in use so other users could not change the contents while it is being updated,

An alternate solution could be to set up synchronization to an alternate location on my network but that is not as elegant or simple.

Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:37 pm 

tigrr50 wrote:
Love this program!

:D

tigrr50 wrote:
I have a home network with multiple computers. I would love to be able to update a single database file but access that database file from my other computers.

All your personal data is contained inside a file called "the coollection file". You can place the coollection file on your home network, and access it from several computers (each computer must have Coollector installed on it).

Here are some information about the coollection files:

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

The trick is that when you launch the program, it reads the default coollection file. But if you double click a coollection file (whatever its name or its location), the program will read that coollection file instead of the default coollection.

tigrr50 wrote:
The database file could be locked while in use so other users could not change the contents while it is being updated

The database isn't locked, but when you try to make changes, the program checks that no other person has made a change before you. In case a change was made, you'll have to restart the program.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:45 pm 

A possible improvement to my previous suggestion: you could install the portable version of Coollector somewhere on the network, and run that single version from all the computers. The advantage is that the pictures will be downloaded once for all the computers, but the drawback is that the program will probably perform more slowly if run through the network.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:08 am 

Thanks for the suggestion! I have located the data file on a central location (a network attached storage drive). All PCs have a copy of the program on them (set to auto upgrade) To use the Coolector program, I simply open the data file (via a shortcut link) and let the file association open the Coolector program on the requesting PC. Works like a champ! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:41 am 

:V: