It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: person's movies list (owned)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 pm 

Hello,

I'm testing some movies organizers. This one is limited in terms of functionalities but not bad at all ! :)
However, in my opinion there is an important function missing: When selecting a person, its movies list appears but there is not the possibility to display the owned films only. A check box "owned" like in the title search will be welcome.
Or I loose something ?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: person's movies list (owned)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:58 pm 

astrakan wrote:
I'm testing some movies organizers. This one is limited in terms of functionalities but not bad at all ! :)

Please tell me what functionalities you are missing. I have many improvements planned, but I'm always happy to get feedback from the users, in case I'm missing something.

astrakan wrote:
When selecting a person, its movies list appears but there is not the possibility to display the owned films only.
Or I loose something ?

I don't know if you missed or not the fact that the movies that you own have their title highlighted (in red if you're using the default skin), and the movies that you've seen have a smiley showing how much you've liked them.

astrakan wrote:
A check box "owned" like in the title search will be welcome.

Thanks for the suggestion, this could indeed be an improvement. I will think about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:03 pm 

astrakan wrote:
A check box "owned" like in the title search will be welcome.

My initial problem was that the check boxes will take up place, but when I think again, I could display those checkboxes only when you actually own or have rated a movie from the person's filmography.

With this in mind, I'm beginning to quite like this idea :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:03 pm 

Cool ! I'm begining to like this software ! :)

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:02 pm 

astrakan wrote:
Cool ! I'm begining to like this software ! :)

Cool :D

Please don't forget to tell me what features you are missing ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:37 pm 

Well, I have to think a bit about features.
But, for now:
- Perhaps the possibility to see movies screenshots. It's not critical but it helps to remember "what film was that??". Feature available in movienizer if I remember well.
- Possibility to display/search movie title in different languages. Well, I think this one will be harder to code/implement. It 's not really important but sometimes I remember the title in a language that is not the original one neither the english one.
- Related to the previous one, the possibility to import movie info from differents reference sites. It is possible with "collectorz.com movie collector" where you can choose for examle allocine (france), adorocinema (brazilian), imdb, etc ... It's a good thing to find some rarities and to grab info in original movie nationality.
- Possibility to define genres, and affect one or more than one to a movie (animation+children+adult for example).

regards.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:04 pm 

astrakan wrote:
- Perhaps the possibility to see movies screenshots. It's not critical but it helps to remember "what film was that??".

We have character pictures, which can help a lot to remember "what film was that??". I don't plan to add movie screenshots, because you can already click the IMDb icon to view the picture gallery from the IMDB, or click the Youtube icon to view a trailer on Youtube.

astrakan wrote:
- Possibility to display/search movie title in different languages. Well, I think this one will be harder to code/implement.

Absolutely. I plan to make the database available in several languages. If you'll use the Portuguese/Brazilian database, the title will be the Portuguese/Brazilian title, the movie description will be in Portuguese/Brazilian, the program interface will be in Portuguese/Brazilian, etc...

astrakan wrote:
the possibility to import movie info from differents reference sites. It is possible with "collectorz.com movie collector" where you can choose for examle allocine (france), adorocinema (brazilian), imdb, etc ...

I thought that collectorz was dropping that option and focusing on building their own database, for the same reason as us: to avoid legal troubles (intellectual property, etc...).

astrakan wrote:
It's a good thing to find some rarities and to grab info in original movie nationality.

If a movie is missing from our database, you can request it and we add it with the next database update:

http://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116

astrakan wrote:
Possibility to define genres, and affect one or more than one to a movie (animation+children+adult for example).

The genres "animation", "family" and " adult" are already defined, and you can search movies that combine 2 genres by using the "genre" and "genre2" filters.

If you want to define your own genres, you can use the tags feature. The tags can be used for anything you can think of, not just to create new genres. And we have a "tag" and "tag2" filters to search for combinations.

;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:24 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
astrakan wrote:
- Possibility to display/search movie title in different languages. Well, I think this one will be harder to code/implement.

Absolutely. I plan to make the database available in several languages. If you'll use the Portuguese/Brazilian database, the title will be the Portuguese/Brazilian title, the movie description will be in Portuguese/Brazilian, the program interface will be in Portuguese/Brazilian, etc...

>> What I'd like is a little bit more different. I explain: I'm french and live in Brazil. So I'd like to see the movie title in English and French and Portuguese. Or the possibility to display one of these options when I want, and not based on the software choosen language. Also when I make a search it would be good if the search a match in any language.

astrakan wrote:
Possibility to define genres, and affect one or more than one to a movie (animation+children+adult for example).

The genres "animation", "family" and " adult" are already defined, and you can search movies that combine 2 genres by using the "genre" and "genre2" filters.

>> I can't find the genre2 filter. Where is it ?
And is it possible to change the movie genre in the database ? I think not, right ?

If you want to define your own genres, you can use the tags feature. The tags can be used for anything you can think of, not just to create new genres. And we have a "tag" and "tag2" filters to search for combinations.

ok, I didn't see this possibility. :)

;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:30 pm 

astrakan wrote:
I'd like to see the movie title in English and French and Portuguese.

Ok. Unfortunately, that will never happen, for technical reasons.

astrakan wrote:
I can't find the genre2 filter. Where is it ?

Click the button "Add/Remove Filters" and you'll see that there are more than 20 filters.

astrakan wrote:
Is it possible to change the movie genre in the database ?

Sorry, it's not possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:17 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
astrakan wrote:
I'd like to see the movie title in English and French and Portuguese.

Ok. Unfortunately, that will never happen, for technical reasons.

>> I understand. Perhaps a workaround by switching of software language easily (without restart) ?

astrakan wrote:
I can't find the genre2 filter. Where is it ?

Click the button "Add/Remove Filters" and you'll see that there are more than 20 filters.

>> my bad, the option was in front of me.

astrakan wrote:
Is it possible to change the movie genre in the database ?

Sorry, it's not possible.

>> ok.

thanks !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:36 pm 

astrakan wrote:
Perhaps a workaround by switching of software language easily (without restart) ?

Oh yes, switching the language will be instant and won't require a restart.

To give you a global idea, the current english database will remain the main database. I just need to create some new databases, one for each new language. Those other databases will be downloaded only if you want to use them, and they'll be significantly smaller than the english (main) database because they'll only contain what's different (different movie title, different description, etc...). Many data will still be taken from the main database (countries, genres, cast, person names, existing videos, etc...), some of that data being translated on the fly to the new language (countries, genres, professions, etc...).

Sounds complex, and it's indeed far from simple, but it'll be transparent to the user 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:29 pm 

astrakan wrote:
When selecting a person, its movies list appears but there is not the possibility to display the owned films only. A check box "owned" like in the title search will be welcome.

Thanks a lot for suggesting this improvement! It'll be available with the next version of the program.

I haven't finished it yet, and already I can't live without it :w00t:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:49 pm 

A friend of mine is always asking what movies I have from a certain actor when she comes over. Sadly she never seems to understand that the titles will be in a different colour if I have the movie :rtfm: .

This will save me some trouble. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:02 pm 

kakashi wrote:
This will save me some trouble. :D

You'll see, this feature is incredibly simple, but incredibly useful. At first glance, you see if an actor was in movies that you own or have seen. I'm constantly surprised to notice that I've seen movies with a certain actor... So I click the "rated" filter and I'm reminded which movies it was... So I click a movie, I see the character picture, and my memories come back... Awesome!

I've just started the process of releasing the new version. It should take less than 8 hours before it's online.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:06 pm 

Coollector Movie Database, remind me where I've seen Michael Fassbender ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR1aEEhJB80