It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with owned collection
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:18 am 

Hi.
After registering my owned dvd and exiting the app, everything seems to be ok.
But when i open the collector again, the collector doesn't find my recent collection if my owned dvd's. I've checked the cool file with a word processor, and the dvd's I've entered in the past are there.
It looks like the collector can't find my updated cool file, and it assumes that i haven't entered any owned dvd's in the past.
I'm running the Coollector under WinXP SP2.
And, i should mention that i'm running the OS and the app under partition label F, and not the ordinary label C.
But, it shouldn't matter though, because the cool file is situated in the Documents & Settings\Coollector folder.
Any ideas guys?
Cheers

:cry2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:33 am 

Sorry about this.
I'm of course using the latest version, v 2.14. :D

Post subject: Re: Problem with owned collection
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:31 am 

Hi Blade1966, welcome on the forum !

Please give me the complete location of MyCoollection.cool, with the drive name. What other files and folders are in this location ? For instance, is there a \Backups\ folder ?

Have you tried launching MyCoollection.cool directly (double-click it) ?

Post subject: I have experienced this as well
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:23 pm 

I am using version 2.31 on Vista. I added all of my movies before the holidays and went back to add to them just the other day. Turns out that all of my movies were gone. I went back to C:\Users\'Name'\Documents\Coollector\Backups\MyCoollection.cool and saw there were 6 files. Everything was as it should up to 3, after that all the movies disappeared. I tried renaming the 4+ files so that it might pull from the proper file. This did not work.

When launching from the exe there are no movies so it is not looking at the backup. I can launch directly from the backup and get it working though. Is there some way that I can correct this and not have to use a work around? Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:46 pm 

Hi Buji !

The default coollection is "C:\Users\'Name'\Documents\Coollector\MyCoollection.cool"
You must replace it with your last backup, and it will be opened directly by Coollector.

Here is a summary of how it works:

* when you launch Coollector, it uses the default coollection "C:\Users\'Name'\Documents\Coollector\MyCoollection.cool".

* but you can also use a coollection named anyhow and located anywhere, by double clicking it.

* the backups are generated automatically in a directory named "Backups". This directory is located in the same place as the coollection => if you have several coollections located in different places, there will be several "Backups" directories.

* if your coollection is named "MyMovies.cool", then the first backup will be named "MyMovies.cool", the second backup will be named "MyMovies2.cool", the third "MyMovies3.cool", etc...

I hope this helps.

Post subject: All owned movie data disappered
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:27 pm 

Hi, I've had the program for about 2 weeks now and totally love it it is super
thank you very much but now I seem to have the same problem as Buji I have entered
about 550 movies and after re-open coollector today (double click on the shortcut)
there weren't any owned movies at all but I found the backup files and when I
clicked on the latest one I open with.... coollector and I have put more movies
on the list and when I shut down and re-open on the shortcut they ar gone again. I tried to do what you said to Benji but I dont have MyCoollection.cool It says: C:\Users\'Name'\Documents\Coollector\MyCoollection and it is a coollection file
How do I get my owned movies back to open when I open the program with the shortcut??

Post subject: Re: All owned movie data disappered
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:21 pm 

ozswede wrote:
I tried to do what you said to Benji but I dont have MyCoollection.cool
It says: C:\Users\'Name'\Documents\Coollector\MyCoollection and it is a coollection file

Simply, your Windows is configured to hide the file extension...
It only shows "MyCoollection", but it really is "MyCoollection.cool".

ozswede wrote:
I found the backup files and when I clicked on the latest one I open with.... coollector and I have put more movies on the list and when I shut down and re-open on the shortcut they ar gone again.

When you've clicked your backup file, Coollector has used this file, instead of the default file.
If you click your backup file again, you'll find all your movies, but you won't if you open Coollector directly (because the default file is empty).

What you need to do, is replace the default file with your backup.

Go to your backup file and copy it (control + C).
Then move up to the parent directory (where your default file is), and paste your backup file (control + V).
=> the backup file will replace the default file...
Now you can launch Coollector, and have all your movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:59 am 

ozswede, is it ok ?

Do you need more help ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:34 pm 

Thanks Hector I think Im stuck as Buji I can open the backup file so I have all the movies but I cannot paste the file into anything Im not sure what to do? and another thing should I delete all the other backup files its getting an awful lot now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:27 pm 

ozswede wrote:
I cannot paste the file into anything Im not sure what to do?

That's strange... Have you tried with Coollector closed ?

ozswede wrote:
and another thing should I delete all the other backup files its getting an awful lot now?

Yes of course, you can delete older backups and only keep the most recent (the one with the highest number).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:29 pm 

Yes coolector have been closed and I should also mension that I have moved the coolector folder to one of my external hardrives but theres still backup files in c drive/ my documents and my back up file I want to use is also in my external hard drive. Could you write the exact name on the folder i am suppose to paste my back up file in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:12 pm 

Unfortunately, for the moment Coollector only works from the C drive.

Moving the files to another drive is the explanation for all your troubles.

I'll have to modify Coollector to make it work from any drive, but I don't have the time to do it right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:21 am 

Ok I will open from my backup folder for now and maybe sometime in the future we will be able to open from any folder I might try to put everything back in C drive I am just care full I had my old C drive crash and could not get anything out had to buy the new hard drive I am using now and I just move everything to my external hard drive so I don't loose anything again.

Thanks for your help Hector and by the way I love the program and cant wait until all my movies is up running>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:42 am 

ozswede wrote:
Ok I will open from my backup folder for now

In case you don't already know, you could place a shortcut on your desktop, for convenience.
Right click on the file -> Send to -> Desktop (create a shortcut).

ozswede wrote:
and maybe sometime in the future we will be able to open from any folder

I'll add this option as soon as possible. Very busy right now...