It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: QA better way to do things
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:08 pm 

I have a 1000 plus collection. I have issues with the scan import function. About 30% are not recognized. That is fine. It is not close to reasonable that a first shot should work better than that. I use naming conventions that make movies easier for me to find.

Suggestions, if not found, replace '_' with ' '. This is a commonly used convention by the DVD makers and the conversion will be 'clean'.

If not found and the 'file name ' is edited, NEVER pick the selection automatically. I have hundreds of wrongly identified movies. I don't know where to begin fixing them. I suggest creating a pick list of possible matches. One selection must be abort or none of these. I have 4 versions of Robin Hood but your app matches with the latest version. I have not been able to find what the exact movie name your app is looking for so after making a dozen guesses I give up. What would be great is to list a wider variety of possibilities if the first list doesn't work. That way the user might be able to better understand your naming convention. My naming convention for identical movie names is the name + year. I have stopped importing movies until I get a better handle on avoiding miss-identification. It is likely I will need to start over or not use this app at all.

I have my own app I wrote to manage my movies but yours has much more added information. $10 is cheap to have all that nice to have information.

Post subject: Re: QA better way to do things
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:44 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
Suggestions, if not found, replace '_' with ' '.

The scanning engine makes complete abstraction of all the punctuation marks.

oldtimer wrote:
That way the user might be able to better understand your naming convention.

There's no special naming convention. The scanning engine starts with the first word and continues until it finds the longest string that matches a movie title. If several movies are matching that longest string, the program looks if the file name includes the movie year after the movie title. I there's no year and some words were discarded beyond the longest string, those words may help pick up the right movie. Otherwise, the program simply picks up the movie with the more votes on IMDb.

oldtimer wrote:
I have 4 versions of Robin Hood but your app matches with the latest version. I have not been able to find what the exact movie name your app is looking for so after making a dozen guesses I give up.

It looks like a case where adding the year could help.

If you find absolutely no way to associate the right movie, you can mark it as "unrecognized" and then associate it manually by going to the movie and clicking the "play" icon. But there should be very few cases where it's necessary.

Please give me some examples of file names where the movie is in our database but you can't make the associate correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:57 pm 

Quote:
The scanning engine makes complete abstraction of all the punctuation marks.

However The DVD name for "Good boy" is "Good_boy" if after the extraction it must become "Goodboy" that seems not to be found. Replacing the '_' with ' ' makes the match. Half of the not founds had this problem. I am not complaining much about this because it is a simple matter and better than 9 out of 10 were found with that easy correction. Still, the fix ought to be easy enough not knowing exactly how the match works. Could you replace the punctuation with ' ' first? They are normally used as delimiters between words except for quotes. Your explanation fits the problems I found with wrong matches. The worst matches had numbers at or near the beginning. The process keyed in on that number. If I rescan I will need to pay close attention to those. I will look them up in IMDb. I need to make sure the number isn't spelled out. That didn't occur to me till now. The old DVDs using 8 character names always substitute a single character for a spelled out number. When I expand the name I usually leave the number even if the number is spelled out since I don't use the name for any linkage.

Quote:
If several movies are matching that longest string, the program looks if the file name includes the movie year after the movie title.

This does not work as planned. All my title dupes have 4 digit years one space after the title and they were all mismatched to the latest version. Maybe the latest versions all have the most votes. That wouldn't surprise me in the least. I don't have that many dupe sets so my sample size is small.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:21 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
However The DVD name for "Good boy" is "Good_boy" if after the extraction it must become "Goodboy" that seems not to be found.

"Good_boy" is the same as "good boy". Never it becomes "Goodboy".

oldtimer wrote:
Could you replace the punctuation with ' ' first?

That's what we do. Each punctuation mark is considered as a space.

oldtimer wrote:
The worst matches had numbers at or near the beginning. The process keyed in on that number.

If those numbers are not part of the title, you must remove them otherwise they'll interfere.

oldtimer wrote:
All my title dupes have 4 digit years one space after the title and they were all mismatched to the latest version.

This is very surprising. Please give me real examples of your file names, so I can tell what's happening.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:20 pm 

Quote:
This is very surprising. Please give me real examples of your file names, so I can tell what's happening.

I will be happy 2

Quote:
"Good_boy" is the same as "good boy". Never it becomes "Goodboy".

Interesting! I will send you a few of those titles as well. I don't know if Good_boy was one of the problems but I had over 100 titles where all I had to do was replace the '_'s with ' 's for them to be correctly found.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:24 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
I had over 100 titles where all I had to do was replace the '_'s with ' 's for them to be correctly found.

I find it hard to believe. There had to be another explanation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:55 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
Quote:

I will be happy 2

I need real examples to test.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:26 pm 

I will start with this one
RobinHood1950
My collection is on multiple disks. This was on the first disk I scanned. It may have turned out differently if some other version was scanned first. Once 2010 is found it will correctly reject the real 2010 video. In your app I altered the file name to Robin Hood 1950 before it was recognized.

I will wait for the weekend to come up with the other list. I have a list of underscored titles but I have no idea if they all actually posed a problem. I will need to move or delete my db and re scan. I will document the problems so I can discuss them intelligently. Then I can send you 1 or 2 problems.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:40 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
I will start with this one
RobinHood1950

Our database doesn't have any movie title that contains the word "RobinHood1950". It has to be "Robin Hood 1950".

oldtimer wrote:
In your app I altered the file name to Robin Hood 1950 before it was recognized.

Ok. There's indeed a movie called "Trail of Robin Hood (1950)", but the file isn't associated with it because "Robin Hood" is at the end of the title instead of the beginning. This is normal behaviour.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:51 pm 

I was a bit busy this weekend and out of town the next. I will play with the import now that I am more familiar with the rules.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:52 pm 

Thank you. I'll be happy to fix if you find bugs.