It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: New computer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:16 pm 

I just bought a new computer and would like to know how to transfer my collector database from the old computer to this one.

Post subject: Re: New computer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:40 am 

All your personal data is stored inside a small file that we call "the coollection file":

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

You just have to install Coollector on your new computer, then replace the just created coollection file with the coollection file from your old computer.

Tell me if you need more help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:23 pm 

Hi.

What did I do wrong? I copied my most recent .cool backup file to my new computer & renamed it as instructed. My movies didn't show up when I started the program. When I compared the Coollector folder on both computers, I now have a MyCoollection file (with NO .cool extension) on the new computer that isn't on the old computer. What do you recommend I do next?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:02 am 

haj wrote:
I now have a MyCoollection file (with NO .cool extension) on the new computer that isn't on the old computer.

Are you sure that the file doesn't have an extension? My guess is that your new computer is simply set to hide the file extensions, and you have to change this Windows setting.

About the MyCoollection file, Coollector has created a brand new coollection file when you've run it on the new computer. And it's precisely the file that you must replace with the coollection file from the old computer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:37 am 

I checked the properties of the file & it IS a .cool file. It's just as well it doesn't have an extension or there would be 2 files with the same name. I'm not sure what you mean by replace this file. The renamed (99KB) file from the old computer is already there. Can't I just delete this new, smaller (4KB) file, the one without the extension?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:13 am 

haj wrote:
The renamed (99KB) file from the old computer is already there. Can't I just delete this new, smaller (4KB) file, the one without the extension?

Are you sure it's the 4KB file which doesn't have an extension? Are you sure it's not the contrary? Because if it was the contrary, you'd just have to delete the 4KB file then add the extension to your 99KB file. But if it's like you say, then I really don't understand how it's even possible...

haj wrote:
I checked the properties of the file & it IS a .cool file.

Sorry, you got me lost... How could it be a .cool file if it doesn't have an extension? There's no way unless Windows Explorer hides the extensions... But you say that the other file does have an extension... I'm lost :?

Could you please show me a screenshot of your file explorer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:59 pm 

[img][IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/21zpl3.png[/img][/img]
[url]Image[/url]

This is the first time I've done this, so I hope I've done this right!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:15 pm 

Oh, it's you Heather! I take this opportunity to thank you publicly for your many picture contributions :D

If you prefer, we can continue by mail, you know my address ;)

About your screenshot, it confirms that the file extensions are hidden (it's the default behaviour with a brand new Windows computer).

Most importantly, the file that you must replace isn't inside the folder "Coollector\Backups". The file you must replace is inside the parent folder "Coollector" just above.

Is it what you were doing wrong?