It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: BUG - Successfully Recognized Files Added, Some Missing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:59 am 

MacOS 10.12.2 (Sierra) - Added to new empty database.

Database shows less than amount of movies successfully added.

Explained:
After scanning movie files, all 3129 were successfully recognized. After clicking to add them, the progress bar eventually finishes, but showing only 3052 total movies. (77 short)

I scanned again and it showed all 3129 already existed, so no change to the database showing 3052.

I tried exporting the full list to text file and it was still short by 77.

I have repeated these steps several times to be sure, but with the same erroneous results.

My movie files were already named correctly for perfect recognition.

MacOS Sierra has several documented bugs, so I wonder if this may be the cause.

There was no problem until I exceeded 3000 movies. Let me know if I can be of help.

Tina

Post subject: Re: BUG - Successfully Recognized Files Added, Some Missing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:14 am 

I think you're confusing files and movies.

Probably you had duplicate files of a same movie, or maybe several series episodes.

For example, scanning 10 episode files of the series "Westworld" will add only 1 series. When you go to that series you'll see the 10 files listed in the "owned videos" box.

AXLT wrote:
There was no problem until I exceeded 3000 movies.

One of your last additions was probably a series.

Click the button "playable", add the filter "series", and you should find it ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:41 am 

Wow! I appreciate the prompt response Hector. The files are all 'movies' that were cleaned up in advance with Filebot, and they are all specifically movies as stated on IMDB.

Besides, your app is showing 3129 movies to add, and then when completed it says only 3052 owned.

If you are not yet familiar with this anomalie then it may be related to MacOS Sierra, as many have reported finder issues.

For example, when searching for files by name specifying 'mp4', it returns only some results. You can move those to a different folder, and perform the same search again and it will produce more results.

When searching for files by a specific size, it does not produce any results. Many have reported this experience. I was disappointed when the latest finder update did not fix this.

I hope this is helpful should others notice it. I will try to make a boot disk with an older system and see if it works.

;) Thank you -Tina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:26 pm 

It's not an OSX finder problem. If it was the case, the result would be Coollector not scanning some files at all.

Your problem is rather that Coollector finds 3129 files and that results in 3052 owned movies. You think that some files have disappeared, but it's not the case. It's just that some movies have had more than 1 file associated to them.

Please read my first message again. I'm still convinced that you own a series with several episodes. Please make the simple test of clicking the button "playable" and adding the filter "series".

If you can't find which movies have several files associated to them, as a last resort you'll send me your coollection file and I'll find them myself:

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

My email is hector at coollector dot com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:41 pm 

AXLT wrote:
If you are not yet familiar with this anomalie then it may be related to MacOS Sierra, as many have reported finder issues.

For example, when searching for files by name specifying 'mp4', it returns only some results.

Even if Sierra has this kind of bug, I don't think it can affect Coollector.

When Coollector browses the files on your disk, it does it on its own, without asking Finder anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:26 am 

Is it just a coincidence that the numbers, 3052 and 77, add up to the 3129? Maybe the numbers are correct. You're just interpreting the numbers to mean something else?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:20 am 

My dear Hector,
I must first say that I am very impressed with your personal and prompt attention to the detail of your app and its users. I think that your product is worth far more than the small contribution you ask.

As for your reply:
Of course 3052 (the end result for owned movies) + 77 (missing movies) = 3129 (the total that were said to be added)

This has been the problem I first reported. Your app states that 3129 movies were recognized, and I clicked to add them. There were no other dialogs when completed, but the total owned movies displayed only 3052. (missing 77)

Regardless of why, it was a direct contradiction of what your app indicated which caused me to click.

My homework:
As per your suggestion, I was tried to find a filter "series" but unable. I did find that 2 of my movies contained the word "series" in the title. I am happy to send you list of files if it will help you.

Say for example that what your said suspicion is correct, I would think that your app should alert the user to the miscalculation and avoid confusion like mine. So regardless of what we find, an improvement can be had.

How I can help:
I have many years in technical documentation, so these kinds of specifics are right up my alley. Looking over your documentation I see that you have done a good job, but of course there is always room for an improvement. (especially a woman's touch)

Tutorial videos backed with a woman's voice would offer the proper respect to your great app. As a first time user, I can offer you my best objective feedback. It is my sincere hope that you will find it to be beneficial. Consider me a fan. :) You must be freed to focus and limit your greatness to only the most valuable code. We need to get you some interns to make this easier. Did I see that your app is open source?

-Dr. Tina Williams :D
UC Berkeley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:44 am 

AXLT wrote:
As for your reply:
Of course 3052 (the end result for owned movies) + 77 (missing movies) = 3129 (the total that were said to be added)

It wasn't my reply. It was from gigagiggles, a user trying to help.

AXLT wrote:
As per your suggestion, I was tried to find a filter "series" but unable.

The filter is called "movies vs series". When it's not already displayed, you can find it by clicking the button "Add/Remove Filters".

AXLT wrote:
Say for example that what your said suspicion is correct, I would think that your app should alert the user to the miscalculation and avoid confusion like mine. So regardless of what we find, an improvement can be had.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't plan to do that. I won't pop up an alert when it's just logic that adding 10 episodes of a same series will add only 1 series.

AXLT wrote:
I have many years in technical documentation, so these kinds of specifics are right up my alley.

A note in the help or in a tutorial video would be better than an alert.

AXLT wrote:
Tutorial videos backed with a woman's voice would offer the proper respect to your great app.

I agree and I'll do it at some point, probably with the next version 5.

AXLT wrote:
Consider me a fan. :)

I do! Thank you very much for liking my baby.

AXLT wrote:
Did I see that your app is open source?

Nope, it's not.