It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible feature
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:41 pm 

Please consider adding a history feature, making it possible to go back to previous searches. I use Coollector as a research tool, doing chains of searches for actors and the movies they were in, branching to different actors and movies (sometimes directors and producers). Often I want to return to my starting point, but that requires re-entering an actor's name or movie title. If Coollector worked like a browser, with a history of visited pages, I would find that feature very useful.

Post subject: Re: Possible feature
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:09 pm 

I agree with your suggestion, it would be a nice addition.

I'm not sure about how to implement it. For example, I don't like much the solution of adding a "back" button.

Would it be nice enough if I added the menus "Tools->History->Movies" and "Tools->History->Persons" ?

Also, it's not obvious which movies should be added to the history? The movies you've clicked... Those you've found with a search... What happens when you scroll with the arrow key? Do you have to stay some amount of time on the page?

Do you have suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:17 am 

Thank you for responding. I didn't think you would answer so quickly, so I apologize for keeping you waiting. What I envisage is a History drop-down menu item at the top, near the Help menu - a new History entry on the main menu that would open to show a list of all pages that have been open, whether movie title or actor bio, all on one list. Each title or bio would be on its own line. By dragging the mouse down the list and stopping at a list item and clicking on it, that item would be reopened. The list could show perhaps the last 25 or so pages that were open. More than that many would be only rarely useful, but a log of searches might be useful, as a reminder of one's searches. I can't give you any ideas about how to program it, but I think this feature would solidify Coollector's status as a serious research tool. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:38 am 

I can't give any date, but it's a feature that I will add.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:40 pm 

Thank you. What's great about Coollector is that those branching searches are so fast and lag free. Compared to page load times on IMDB.com, Coollector seems instantaneous. It doesn't get in the way of curiosity, but invites deeper searches. Having a browser history isn't enough to make IMDB endurable.

I just tested IMDB.com and found that page load times range from 3.15 to 6.78 seconds, depending on where the search originates. Add to that the time and effort required to scroll down to the useful information, and the wait is compounded. It just seems so much more laborious to do research there, amid the bloat and clutter. But there's no wait at all with Coollector. Thank you for making such a useful and usable program.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:51 pm 

Thank you very much for the kind words!

What you describe are indeed the benefits of an app vs. a website.