It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Release Dates
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:45 pm 

Can you add release dates of the movies in the database? :lol:

Play Store: [COMING_SOON]

Post subject: Re: Release Dates
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 pm 

I'm not sure that I understand your request. If you mean the release date, country by country, then the answer is "nope".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:37 am 

No not by county by county but the release dates which is shown in IMDb site.

In IMDb, when you browse for a movie, you get to see the release date too (The official release date of that movie).

I don't want the release date of the movie in different region of the world. But only the one official release date.

Because sometimes I use the coollector to see the upcoming movies but I am stuck when I dont know the release date so for that I had to open IMDb site and look there manually.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:44 am 

Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 368.89 KiB | Viewed 6308 times ]

For eg. In Thor: Ragnarok.... as per you can see in the photo, the release date has been shown (the official release date)

You can enable this feature, and we will collaborate the release dates for you if you want.

Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 368.89 KiB | Viewed 6308 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:26 pm 

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
I don't want the release date of the movie in different region of the world. But only the one official release date.

Our database includes the year and I consider that it's enough for the old movies. I don't care if a 1963 movie was released on May or April.

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
sometimes I use the coollector to see the upcoming movies but I am stuck when I dont know the release date so for that I had to open IMDb site and look there manually.

I plan to add a new feature to notify you of the upcoming movies, personalized with your taste, that would also tell you when an actor just died, etc...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:20 pm 

Well I am not talking about past movies but the upcoming movies. For eg. those movies in 2018 to check their release dates i had to check IMDb again and again.

Plus since this software is called as Movie Database so this information should be present.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:58 pm 

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
Well I am not talking about past movies but the upcoming movies.

Then you agree that it would be a special treatment only for the upcoming movies. That means a separate feature. I see it as a notification window to keep the users informed with the latest news. One view could be some sort of calendar. That data wouldn't be part of the database, but would be a file on the internet that I could update daily.

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
Plus since this software is called as Movie Database so this information should be present.

You have your idea of my program and I have mine. I have no plan to replace reference databases like the IMDb. Our database is already a big download though it includes only the most essential data. There are many data that I don't plan to include in order to keep the size as small as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:48 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I see it as a notification window to keep the users informed with the latest news. One view could be some sort of calendar.

The exact release date could also be displayed for the corresponding movies. Instead of displaying "2018", the program could display "JAN 13, 2018".

Still not satisfied?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:04 pm 

If you are worrying about the app size then I assume that if you introduce the release date in the database then it will add around ~3mb to the whole software which I don't think a big change.

Well even others might interest to know the release dates of the recent movies.

And I think the notification will only partially help because a user with no internet connection will miss it on time. And even he receives it, he wont be getting the notification back in future.

I just suggested you the feature which will be a very big help to all of us. But implementing the feature or not is your choice sir.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:05 pm 

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
it will add around ~3mb to the whole software which I don't think a big change.

And after you someone else will request some other data to be added. It'll be endless until we include as many data as a website like the IMDb, which I certainly don't want to happen.

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
Well even others might interest to know the release dates of the recent movies.

I acknowledged that it's useful information, that's why I plan to create a feature especially for this need.

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
And I think the notification will only partially help because a user with no internet connection will miss it on time.

It's more convenient to download a small file (updated daily) rather than waiting for a database update. Like with the series episodes, the program keeps on disk the last file you've downloaded, and the users who are not interested by that data don't download it at all.

In the future, I plan to make some versions of Coollector that won't use our current monolithic database design. For example to manage music, I think a different approach will be necessary because it would be overkill to have a database with tens of millions of songs.