It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Question - Is it possible to have two separate databases?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:45 pm 

Hello -

I recently downloaded this program and it's great. I've organized all my DVDs into a database, but I now would like to do the same for my mom's DVDs, but I want to keep her DVDs separate from mine. Is it possible to have two separate databases in one program and choose to open one or the other?

Right now I'm doing a work around by having my database on my Macbook and starting my mom's on my Parallel Desktop Windows partition, in a separate installation of the program. But it would be nice to have them both in my MacOS operating system.

Thanks!
Lindsay

Post subject: Re: Question - Is it possible to have two separate databases
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:59 pm 

It's very easy to do :yes:

The program stores all your personal data inside a .cool file called a coollection file.

https://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

When you launch the Coollector app, it uses the default coollection file and that's enough for most users. But you can have several coollection files on your computer. They can have any name, be located anywhere, and you double-click them to work with them (you can only work with one at a time).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:05 pm 

Lindsay0385 wrote:
But it would be nice to have them both in my MacOS operating system.

If you have a Mac, it may happen that the .cool files aren't associated with Coollector and you'll have to make the association (right-click->open with). You seem computer savvy enough to do it, but tell me if it's not the case.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:24 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Lindsay0385 wrote:

If you have a Mac, it may happen that the .cool files aren't associated with Coollector and you'll have to make the association (right-click->open with). You seem computer savvy enough to do it, but tell me if it's not the case.
Thanks! I'll try it when I get home! I appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:04 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Lindsay0385 wrote:

Well, I don't know what I did wrong, but I now have three databases. The original I renamed LindsayCoollection and one I called MomCoollection. When I opened the program again, it created a third MyCoollection.

The problem is when I open my original file it doesn't have any of my movies listed. I think it keeps on reopening the new file MyCollection, but I don't know for sure. I'm clearly right clicking the one file I want to open. Is all my hard work gone? All 500 some-odd movies? I did export them to a spreadsheet, can I recover the list that way? Help! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:56 am 

Lindsay0385 wrote:
Is all my hard work gone? All 500 some-odd movies?

Don't worry, your data isn't lost. The program creates backups automatically, so in the worst case we will restore your last backup.

Now we must understand what you're doing wrong...

Lindsay0385 wrote:
Well, I don't know what I did wrong, but I now have three databases. The original I renamed LindsayCoollection and one I called MomCoollection. When I opened the program again, it created a third MyCoollection.

MyCoollection.cool is the default Coollection. You've launched the Coollector app and it's normal it has created a new default coollection. But I had told you not to launch the app. I had told you to double click your coollection file instead.

Close Coollector if it's opened, then double click LindsayCoollection.cool. It should open with Coollector, or maybe you will be asked what program to use to open it, and you'll point to the Coollector app.

Tell me how it goes!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:13 pm 

Quote:
MyCoollection.cool is the default Coollection. You've launched the Coollector app and it's normal it has created a new default coollection. But I had told you not to launch the app. I had told you to double click your coollection file instead.

Close Coollector if it's opened, then double click LindsayCoollection.cool. It should open with Coollector, or maybe you will be asked what program to use to open it, and you'll point to the Coollector app.

Tell me how it goes!

I'm definitely closing the application before I try to open one of the databases (because it has me wait the 30 seconds, after I click on the cool file, which I am going to donate, because it's an awesome program).

I tried some experimenting:
I purposely opened the MyCoollection file and added one movie (it was empty) and closed down the program. When I open LindsayCoollection or MomCoollection they both now show that one movie.

I renamed MyCoollection (the one with the one movie) to MyCoollectionNew and moved it to the trash. I then renamed LindsayCoollection back to MyCoollection and opened it. All my movies are back.

I next moved MomCoollection to the trash and moved the MyCoollectionNew back and tried opening it. Instead of showing one movie it has in the database, it's showing all movies that are now the database named MyCoollection.

This was all on my Mac. I also tried to move the files to different locations on my computer, same results.

HOWEVER, if I right click the files and have them open in XP via Parallels desktop, both databases open correctly. The MyCoolection shows 530 movies and MyCoollectionNew shows 1 movie. So it must be something up with how the Mac program works or how Macs work in general? So strange, but at least I can use two databases in XP.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:36 pm 

It seems that it doesn't work on Mac as I expected. I will make some testing...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:49 pm 

I confirm there's a problem with the current version. Thank you very much for reporting, it'll be fixed with the next version.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:44 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I confirm there's a problem with the current version. Thank you very much for reporting, it'll be fixed with the next version.
Awesome, thank you! I'll continue to use the two databases in XP for now. Another question for you, when I donate can I use the code for both installations of the program to remove the 30 second delay?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:56 pm 

Lindsay0385 wrote:
when I donate can I use the code for both installations of the program to remove the 30 second delay?

Of course. You can use your code with all the computers in your house (Mac & PC).

Thank you very much for your donation!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:30 pm 

I've finished restoring the functionality :D

You can wait for the next update or you can replace your app with this one:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Movie_Database_test.zip

Careful not to keep several copies of the app, as you never know which one OSX will launch when you double-click a coollection file...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:12 pm 

Awesome, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I've finished restoring the functionality :D

You can wait for the next update or you can replace your app with this one:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Movie_Database_test.zip

Careful not to keep several copies of the app, as you never know which one OSX will launch when you double-click a coollection file...
I downloaded it and verified it works as expected! Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:43 am 

Thank you for your feedback!