It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Cannot Update
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:39 pm 

When I start the program and it attempts to Update, I receive a message that says, I have a problem with my internet connection or firewall settings. I am not using a firewall and my cable broadband connections are working fine. The only problem is with my Coolector connection. What do you suggest to correct this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:13 pm 

1/ everybody should use a firewall (and an anti-virus) !! It's not an option :o

2/ it really seems to be a firewall issue... How savvy are you with computers ? What Windows do you use ? Do you know that XP and Vista ship with their own firewall ? Are you at home or do you use a computer from your work office ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:19 pm 

I am extremely familiar with computers. I use a router and do not need a software firewall, unless I choose to do so. I am using WindowsXP Home. Coolector was working fine and then it just stopped updating. The question here is not my computer proficiency. Can you help? Once again, you do not need a firewall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:29 pm 

I didn't mean to offend you. I had to ask how proficient you are. Personally I'm not proficient at all with routers...

You said that Coollector used to work. Since when do you receive this error message ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:32 pm 

I failed to answer the second part of your question and that is I am using this computer from a home office and working as the administrator. When receiving a message as I did, that there may be a firewall issue, I made sure that the firewall was turned off. I was not at that time concerned about any keylogging, etc. Just to correct the update problem. I am using an anti-virus program and don't see what that has to do with my issue, to even bring it up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:37 pm 

I started receiving the connection error message this past Saturday. All of my other software is updating as expected, including WindowsXP Updates. All links are connecting and downloading websites. My email is working fine. The only problem is with Coolector connecting. That is why I chose my last resort, concerning the program and wrote to the Forum.

Post subject: Re: Cannot Update
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:38 pm 

Jukebox wrote:
I am using an anti-virus program and don't see what that has to do with my issue, to even bring it up.

Indeed, that has nothing to do with it. Just thought you might be a total newbie, and might need this advice.

If you don't need a firewall, it's because your router is also a firewall. Basically, you're using a firewall ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:43 pm 

The update works here, so it's not a server problem.

Could you please install Coollector to another location, and tell me if it updates.

Post subject: Cannot update
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:43 pm 

I fully understand that my router serves as a firewall, by blocking incoming. I am not using a software firewall (WindowsXP), to block outgoing. Now, what can that have to do, with getting the message I am getting from Coolector? That again is the question.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:44 pm 

I will uninstall the program and reinstall it to another location. Thank you for that suggestion. I'll then get back to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:54 pm 

If you have entered some data, don't forget to backup your coollection before uninstalling. It's located inside the folder "Coollections".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:09 pm 

I uninstalled the program and then reinstalled it to a different directory name. I get the same results. - I then installed the program to a separate laptop that uses a wireless network connection, using the router/firewall. It installed fine and did connect as it should to do the updates. This then leaves the problem somewhere on the Desktop PC. I just don't know where to dig further, if all of my Desktop connections are working OK, except when trying to connect Coollector. If you remain as stumped as I am, then I guess I'll have to stop it's use for now and keep troubleshooting where I can. - Did I ever mention that this is a really nice program! That is why I'm really trying to figure this out. Thank you for trying to assist me. It's perhaps a registry entry or something of that nature. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:16 pm 

Coollector uses the registry only to remember windows positions or things like that. Nothing related to connections.

You said that the program can't update, but can it download images of movies and persons ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:27 pm 

My guts tell me that the problem comes from your router. I don't know how much you can adjust its settings. It's strange your laptop worked, but maybe it has different settings for each computer... Beyond that, I'm stumped :worried:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:58 pm 

The program is not downloading photos or other images and it will not update. When I go to the bottom and select a DVD or VHS to purchase, it does open my browser and the appropriate site OK.